Faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faith

Hi, gang. Someone has suggested to me a forum to discuss religion. I think it might be sorta nice to have a meeting place for those who wish to talk specifically about their faith, spirituality, etc. Obviously, MWO does not subscribe to any particular religious dogma and I believe members have shown a healthy respect for one another's beliefs. But might be good to offer a forum for those who wish to share more on this important aspect of their lives.

I always like to weigh adding new forums with managing the board, which is growing quite large (a good thing.) Would like some feedback.

Also, I don't know if yesterday's idea re: an "oldies only" area is going to work due to some technical restrictions, but I'm still working on it...

RJ

Faith

I am just becoming interested in other beliefs. I sometimes go on the web and look up different churches and what they are about.
    BUT, it may be like talking politics and end up in arguments??

Comment

Faith

No matter what religion, it boils down to origin of life and spirit. Who made it, none of us. Believing in a higher power no matter "who" we call it still remains, one must exist? Like when we're in deep sh.t what do we say?...Oh God, help me. Why then do we feel some great sense of relief in knowing? I believe! just wish the whole world would get on the same page, true faith and religion does not hurt others. We all came from the same source whatever we call it, but continue to destroy ourselves because of "differences", which will always be.

Comment

Faith

I kind of think it would be nice to have a separate forum for this type of thing, that way those of us who "would" like to discuss it can...and those who *wouldn't* like to can easily skip it.

As RJ said, MWO doesn't espouse any particular faith, or faith at all for that matter, but some of us do have faith and are wrestling with issues of our disease and our relationship with our faith.

Others have had unsettling runins with misguided practioners of religion, and might like a chance to discuss that.

I think we have enough gentle people here to keep it polite and supportive and not turn it into stone throwing or even worse, proselytizing (had to check spelling on that one, means seeking converts).

Just my .02

D

Comment

Faith

Long term Thread...

I also like the "long term thread" I would be nice to go and chat about all the issues that we have NOW! They have changed and are different from the beginning. But I do see where that might be an issue as to who can post and who not RJ..so just whatever you can come up with. If not, don't worry...you have enough on your plate!

Thanks all,
          Tammie

As far as the Faith! I DO with all my heart believe in God. I have seen His wonders in my children! But he has taken away children from me also...so not sure where I stand..I do believe and want to pray..but for what..I pray for my family but how will this help me with my drinking? Do I pray for me? I will read and read....does that make sense? Sorry..I do not want to affend anyone! It is just a post and only my thinking...

Wishing everyone Love and Peace!

Comment

Faith

Re: Long term Thread...

Okey doke, thanks, folks. I think there's enough interest here to start a "faith" thread...will move it on over. :-)

RJ

Comment

Faith

I would not be where I am today without my faith!! Funny thing is, I married an atheist. So we go round and round about God all the time. Our children our both being raised in the Catholic tradition, and my husband is the most "Christian", Non-Christian" you will ever meet! Go figure!

If we can do it under these cercumctancces, and maintain a happy mariage of 21 years, certainly we can have adult conversations about our different beliefs and share our different opinions, all the while keeping it civilized.

I think it is a marvelous idea!

Donna

Oh, and I still think the veterans forum is a great idea too if it can happen!

Comment

Faith

RJ
                I'd worry about a thread on religion/faith.

It does appear in some peoples posts but it can be very divisive and I'd hate to see the inclusivity that currently exists on the board being erroded. I'd think that people may say things based on their beliefs right now, but the way the forum is set up, they are talking from their heart rather than talking from their religion base. Someone reading can often take on board what people say from the heart, but will turn off if it is overtly religion based.

Where I've seen faith/religion in peoples posts, I rarely see it being the start of a discussion.. so my feeling is that people may be interested (sort of in a distant way) but wary of engaging in a full on discussion about it because the main focus here is about stopping or altering drink habits. I'm generalising, but this is obviously my opinion.

Brigid

Comment

Faith

This is a great idea.

And a great book on the topic is:
                  The World's Religions
                  by Huston Smith

Need to reread it about now myself.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062508113/002-7135339-3922442?v=glance&n=283155]www.amazon.com/gp/product...e&n=283155[/ame]

Comment

Faith

Thanks again.

I'd still like to give it try. Indeed, we don't to want to promote divisiveness, but there does seem to be a fair amount of interest.

Like any other forum (books, cooking, abs, etc.) members may decide whether or not it's a topic of interest and if they want to participate.

And if things get out of hand, I've certainly got my magic buttons back here I can call upon...

:-)

RJ

Comment

Faith

Many insightful posts here, and I thank you for them all.

Personally, I grew up in the Southern Baptist church here in the USA. Did not fit me at all. Not the place to ask the tough questions that no religion on earth has answers to.

Eventually, I found a church that openly admitted it didn't have all the answers, Presbyterian USA. The frequently poke fun at themselves, and I found that very human.

The church I used to go to in Texas is on the National Historic Registry. Big stone walls, gigantic real pipe organ that pounds at your guts when Bach is played.

I miss it. Now in Colorado I am without a church. Went to a small Presbyterian USA church (small churches can have real people issues) loved it first 3 years. Great female minister, her husband was a retired Philosophy Professor (also had a divinity degree)and the associate minister and lead adult classes. He was great, and one of the most well read people I have ever known, and humble about it too.

Then they left the church when asked by a big college to open up a religious studies department. In comes a new minister, crazy choir director that is mean and nasty to my wife, my wife can't take any more and complains, minister does nothing about it. We leave the church. A year later, he fires the choir director.

Now she and my son, visit a Presbyterian Evangelical church. Yes, we Presbyterian USA people call that the dirty "E" word. While we do have missions, it is not to go "save" the damned, it is to help support usually small growing churches elsewhere that need help.

They love the church, I feel indifferent. I have visited a couple times, and generally got a cold feeling. They have a world class choir (and my wife is a great singer who needs to sing) great organ etc., but theologically, I do not agree with their doctrine, so could never do more than visit.

While I do have faith, I do keep in mind that faith and religion are different things. One can have faith, and not appear religious. And one can appear religious, but be void of faith. Just look at the BTK killer, for a chilling example of the latter.

Right now, I am overwhelmed with change, so doing the church thing isn't going happen for me now, maybe never. I'm just happy my wife and son found a place they like.

And I always keep the words of a good friend and mentor in mind, "Always remember, there is something out there bigger than yourself, bigger than all of us."

Comment

Faith

Very well said Backpacker77, and I agree with you 100 percent!

I have faith! Just not sure where my religion falls right now. Thank you so much for sharing your story.

Take care,
                        ~Tammie

Comment

Faith

Re: Faith UUA Church

I once visited a UUA church (Unitarian Universalist Association) in Texas. It was a small church, without a permanent minister, so they had rotating ones or guest speakers every week. This time I visited, the minister was from Oklahoma City. He said, "You know, as you go from east to west coast in the UUA, there are differences. Or as I like to put it, in the East Coast UUA churches Jesus is optional. Here in the midwest UUA churches God is optional. And out in the west coast UUA churches -- clothes are optional. :lol

Comment

Faith

Re: Faith UUA Church

Tammie, I can certainly relate to "not knowing where it falls right now". Religion is a gigantic place.

In fact, if the worlds religions, all of them, are like the trees of a forest, and we zoom back from those trees we now see the forrest for the trees. :eek

Not saying that all religion is the same, but it does remind me of something my female minister (and aren't they really smarter anyway?) said to me

"Remember, we are all trying to find God, it's just that we are also all on our own individual journeys to get there. And every one's road is completely different, though the destination is the same."

Comment

Faith

I think this is a great idea. I have had a problem opening up to anyone about my drinking because my life is surrounded by people of faith who are intolerent of drinking for any reason. I have really felt alone in spite of my faith. This forum or thread as you called it, lets me know I'm not the only person of faith who has a drinking issue. It might help others who are closet drinkers to open up as we have. Thankful, Eliziby

Comment

Working...
                              X