Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread for December 29th, 2008

Hi Everyone,
    Just a quick check in to say hello. All is well here on day 3.

Jamms, I'm sorry you're not feeling well...Saw your post on the "program" thread, too. I hope you get a good night's sleep and feel better tomorrow.

There's lots I want to respond to, but I only got about 4 hours of sleep last night, and I am going to make myself go to bed now.

Take care, everyone, and I'll see you tomorrow! Sara
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

<--I love Mondays!!!

Good Morning Mod Squad,
      Sitting here relaxing with Lazydog, the laptop and a cuppa coffee, of which I believe I make some of the world's best!
      It's my week to drive the honey-haired-girl and her friend to school. I fed Lazydog, made Cats lunch for her as she works today, and I'm on my second load of laundry. Monday is my favorite day! This is MY time; and after 3 days of "refreshing" (AF) I'm feeling like me at my best!
      You all seem to be doing so well. There are lots of thoughtful, supportive posts. Modding is out of the closet and more vocal than ever. I say, "hooray". A reliable approach to Modding can evolve and improve itself with so much collaboration.
      Sara, your little story about the 3 shots of bourbon behind your husband's back brought back memories of my own sneakiness. Thank God those days are over!
      Among other places, I would hide a bottle of gin down by the washer. I figured it was my reward for doing laundry. We NEVER ran out of clean clothes though!! Or I'd tell my wife I was switching to non-AL beer and then refill the bottles with high test stuff and sit there drinking right in front of her...Gawd..who were we fooling? Who do we really hurt..That's stuff is so OVER.
      DHS: That's a perfect goal: the occasional (or even "rare" drink). We all know too much alcohol is bad for us and that we feel better with some AF time under our belts, but for many of us the thought of a completely AF life is unacceptable for many reasons. We MAY reach a point that we almost never drink but if the situation should arise, we want to know how to behave ourselves, right? That's mature. We don't have to go crazy and spiral down into sloppy drunkenness and destroy our lives because we have a beer at the BBQ..I say to the person with that attitude, "Let's grow up". Enjoy one or two drinks and let it go. And that's what we modders are learning to do, together.
      Sara,
      speaking of SMARTand organizations that encourage self-loathing; my one month total "ban" ended recently and I'm now allowed to "lurk" on the SMART website until my "punishmen"t is over in 2 more months. I went back just to listen in on some of the conversations. For some people things just never change. They go totally AF, then the tension builds, then the inevitable and convenient "trigger" appears; they drink, they binge, they hate themselves, then they go back to step one...(That binge time is dangerous.) It's unfortunate because SMART has some of the most useful tools for modding at their disposal. At the F2F meetings they allow for people to use the tools to "moderate" or control their addictions to the level that they choose. The present, and hopefully temporary,director of SMART online (ironically called S.O.L :H ) doesn't allow ANY talk of moderation; consequently many poor souls are trying to do something they may never be able to do: totally abstain forever and ever and ever...
      Sunbeam:
      You are one of the "poster children" for modding. I wish you continued success. I hope you are feeling accepted on the AF threads but I'm glad you haven't forgotten us. We need to be able to point to you as a modding success (so don't forget to have at least ONE drink per year;I'll even treat!)
      olor: blue;">KW: This is going to be a great year for you; I can feel it. How was the "pamper" weekend??
      Eve: Thinking back..Are you "happier" modding than you were AF for 7 years? I would like that perspective from someone beside myself. I only quit for a year but I wasn't "happy"...
      Right now, going on a year of modding, I'm happier; my family is happier. My wife said she KNEW I was a time bomb. AF was not reliable for me. I was one of those that falls off the wagon HARD. She couldn't trust me. She says she loves this modding because I'm predictable. She can trust how much I'm drinking and that I'll be reliable.. How's that for an affirmation?? My ultimate goal,though, is to THINK about it less and less. Somewhere I read how long it takes for new actions to become "habits"; is it 13 weeks or am I thinking of something else? Anyway, I want modding to be completely natural for me. Sometimes I feel "normal", but I'm not quite there yet.
      JAMMS: I've found some of the sleep supps give me a HO of sorts. I figure at least my body got rest so I put up with it. I just can't use them very often.
      Well, I'm going to catch up on the threads a little; finish my coffee; walk the dog and then ease into my day..
      I wish you all inner peace today.
      ~Kid~
      It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hey my fellow modders,
        Good afternoon..so far anyway...

KID- I love Mondays also. It's the day to line all my ducks up in a row...although by Wednesday they are usually running all over the place.

SARA- Thanks I'm feeling better today...somewhat....

I'm going to try to check out all out the SMART site today... I will just "lurk" I'm curious to see what everyone is taking about...

Oh...it's funny KID, what you said about hiding AL in the laundry room....I would always use having to put a "wash on" to do a shot of Patron or some other kind of tequila....and then suck down a beer. Except...I would just close and open the dryer door to make noise like I was doing something...I would then bring up the only wash I had really done that day. How sad is that...who were we fooling is right.

My husband has asked me if I want to go out to dinner with him this weekend...but I asked if we could hold off until my 2 weeks is over so we could have some wine...does anyone think that was wrong of me? He knows whatI'm doing..and I know I can go to dinner and not drink AL I just thought..hey, if he's gonna take me out..I may as well wait for a MOD night....what do ya think???
        :teeter:JAMMS

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

"no pain..inside...you're my protection...how do I feel this good SOBER?!"

Comment

Can you "do it" more than once???

JAMMS,
          Can you go out this weekend AND in two weeks??? Maybe he would spring for 2 dinners...If not, I would hold out for the wine! :H
          ~Kid~

PS: Plus maybe by 2 weeks you'll stop fartin':egad:
          It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
          ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

JAMMS;511084 wrote: I asked if we could hold off until my 2 weeks is over so we could have some wine...does anyone think that was wrong of me? He knows whatI'm doing..and I know I can go to dinner and not drink AL I just thought..hey, if he's gonna take me out..I may as well wait for a MOD night....what do ya think???
            JAMMS,
            One of the reasons I choose Modding over being AF is to enjoy that quality wine with a meal. So, there was nothing wrong with your request. I would have done the same!
            Hugs,
            Eve11
            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Jamms,
              Wine with dinner out is something I've given up. We used to always polish off a bottle. One of us would drink less knowing they were the driver, but it is safest to drive without alcohol. We have saved a lot of money this way, because my husband would always order a nice bottle. By the glass only the cheaper stuff is available in most places. So now the nicest wine is consumed at home, and costs a lot less.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
              X