Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hi all - Frances here. Been around for so so long and still haven't been able to stop drinking. Jane27 a huge congratulations to you on 10 years sober! Amazing!

I am not doing too badly, but my brother has gone into a deep hole with his drinking and I'm terrified. He is 62 and lives alone and since early December he has been drinking so much - he lost his job and he is losing track of days - he missed our traditional Christmas Eve with the family and I picked him up and brought him to my house on Christmas for dinner. This was before I realized just how bad things were and I hadn't realized what was happening and he drank so much so quickly that within probably an hour he had passed out. I thought OK this is it, he'll be devastated that this happened and he'll stop. When I took him back home he told me he didn't have any alcohol in the house and I thought that meant he wouldn't get any more. Of course I was wrong. We have a regular Wednesday commitment that he's been missing. He actually did go last week but he was a complete mess and wound up vomiting. I've talked to him about how worried I am but it doesn't seem to matter. I don't know what to do - I guess I'll go to Alanon to see if that helps me. I can't see how he can live like this and I'm afraid he's going to die. Thank you for giving me a place to come and vent about this.

Comment

Byrdie, congrats on 13 years AF. You've always inspired me to live a life AL free. Thank you for that!

The same goes out to you, Lav!

May we all find and keep our freedom from AL.

Comment

Hello Nesters,

It’s been a while, thought I should stop in & see what’s going on.

Frances, I remember you, welcome back.
        Sorry to hear about your brother, it sure sounds like he needs to quit asap! Alanon for yourself sounds like a good idea, you need support too. I hope they can help you understand why your brother is resisting getting help. It’s my personal belief that chronic depression plays a big role, getting that addressed first may help pave a way to sobriety for him. We can’t make anyone quit, they have to want to quit. Stick around with us, we will support you from here :hug:

Hi to Ginger, it’s nice to see you again.
        There’s been so many people here in the nest over the years, it’s nice to see some checking in from time to time. Protecting our quits is top priority!!

Wishing a nice night for all!
        Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Nest! On a whim, I decided to try and find my post form the day I quit on 12-12-17. I found it, and read the painful month prior, and the two months after. What a weird thing to read back. It was uncomfortable remembering it all, and it feels far away. 6 years later, I picked up on some common themes - some still exist. But I am a non drinker now - it's just who I am. I can't even begin to express my gratitude for the people here who read my words, shared their stories and helped me find sobriety. I am forever grateful for you all

Frances! Good to see you, and I'm sorry you are going through a rough time. I remember when we tried to moderate. It didn't work. The thing that sealed the deal for me was accepting that I would always struggle with alcohol as long as I tried to consume it. Then I had to decide I didn't want to struggle. You deserve all the good things that come with sobriety - and you get to choose them for yourself, if you want.

Best to everyone!
          Last edited by KENSHO; April 13, 2024, 06:50 PM.
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Working...
          X