Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Hey BigAl. Welcome. Flail away, whatever helps you. We are open, so share as you see fit. I journaled quit a bit in college and it was my savior.

Another day Julia. Win! Keep stringing them together and you will see positive changes!

Narily, are you fully recovered from your apendectomy now?

I wouldn't normally be so candid about our nation, but I also think that is part of the problem. I've started pointing out when something is just "not human" as you put it NS. I am not mean or attacking, but I do question people, like my aunt, when she posts something racial or skewed from the truth. She would not call herself a racist, but her language is such and I call it out. I sure hope that we are breaking stuff now so we can put it back together in a more functional and inclusive way. It hurts to watch the pain. Thanks for the book title, I'll check that out.

Almost 2.5 years sober for me, and so glad I chose this path. Life feels real, not chemically induced. Crazy times would be crazier with drinking.
    Last edited by KENSHO; June 2, 2020, 09:22 AM.
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

hi Nesters,

Today has really been like summer. The first day we could go out barefoot on the balcony and feel the warmth. So, first thing I did was a load of laundry.. I love how fast it dries in the summer. In just an hour or two! (you can tell I'm excited about the very little things today!) My youngest and I made a pizza for lunch and had some sparkling water with elderflower syrup and mint on ice. Pretty darn yummy..

I'm really interested in reading that book, NS, but it wasn't available for me to buy here (maybe everyone has just ordered it this past week!) but I pulled up the youtube talk (thanks for that Pav!).

Did you end up going into work in your jammies, Ava? Had to laugh at that.. first thing I do when I come home is change into my pajama pants.. and of course I'm in them all day if I stay at home! I'm thinking of finding some comfortable "house pants" that feel like jammies but don't look like them!

Well done, Julia! You've got this...:love:

2.5 years is great, Kensho! I think it's important to call people out. Good for you!

Big hugs to all of you! xx

Comment

I just watched DiAngelo's youtube talk, in Seattle in 2018 .. I learned so much, just in that short 1.5 hours. Thank you again, NS and Pav for recommending her. Should be required reading/watching for all white people (at least from the U.S.)!
        So many things I'd never even thought of. I'll keep searching for the book and for more videos.
        Here's the link.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ey4jgoxeU
        Last edited by lifechange; June 2, 2020, 01:23 PM.

Comment

LC. I put on hard pants the other day and they cut me in two, so back to elastic!
          Big Al, I consider this place to be my journal. It is my account and if, by sharing, it helps someone else, so much the better. I can go back 10 years and see just where I was in the journey. I’ve never really journaled, but I have every calendar since I was in High school! I don’t think that counts. We are glad you are finding success. It is amazing that once we can get addiction in check, the other stipulation just works out.
          Julia, so glad to see you.
          Watching the news it looks like Gotham City. We are a mess.
          I have one thing working for me, I AM SOBER! Stay the course, everyone, Stay safe! Byrdie
          Last edited by Byrdlady; June 4, 2020, 06:07 PM.
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Nice day again around here, tomorrow the summer heat returns. For me that means hiding in the AC, haha!
            My grandsons are here for dinner & a visit which is nice, haven’t done this for a long while. Friday is actually the beginning of our opening up around here so I guess we;re close enough.
            Had to avoid the news for the most part today as yesterday was rather overwhelming. Please let the national healing begin soon.

Al & Julia, good job both of you!

Kensho. Pav, Byrdie, LC great to see you guys as well!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

One week sober today. Thanks for all the support good peoples of the nest.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
                One week sober today. Thanks for all the support good peoples of the nest.
                Congrats on a week! Also I think it's great to keep a personal thread or"journal" on here and in real life,my personal thread on here is hard to read sometimes cuz it brings back sad memories of things I've gone through yet sometimes you just need a place to get it all out without any discussion or advice,Byrdie,I don't know what the answer is with all this rioting,tbh I'm more scared of how people are acting than I ever was of c-vid! Some people are using this as an excuse to just be an asshole, yesterday a young guy stole a ladies purse and took off running right in front of the shop I work at,she ran after him yelling but I didn't go look to see if she caught up with him,Kensho, your camper trip to Sonoma sounds fun,not Italy but at least you'll get some sort of getaway this summer,I don't know what we're gonna do,I thought of driving to Phoenix cuz we've never been before then thought who the hell wants to go to Phoenix for a summer vacay?? Think it's hotter there than here from what people tell me,more humid,I wanna go somewhere but I'll just hafta see what the country is doing late summer,hugs to all and wishes for a happy AF day
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

Not much to say here. Glad you liked the talk, LC. Glad spring is there!

Congratulations, big AL! That's an accomplishment. The physical part is over, now comes the mental work. That's what takes a while. Do you have in person support there? Or a plan in place for when that inevitable hard craving comes? Set yourself up now for success in the future. You got this!

It will be interesting to see where we are in two weeks - if the protests will be super-spreader events and we have a big surge. It seems like that is inevitable. I hope people are safe.

Happy SOBER Hump Day,
                  Pav

Comment

Hi everyone, checking in sober on what is Wed morning here. Deeply saddened by the events in our country right now and yet also more hopeful that we'll finally make some changes than I've ever been. The protests are largely peaceful, with most violence or damage coming from agitators (extreme left and right), and the police are showing us daily and nightly *why* there is a reason to protest in the first place. These are the most diverse crowds I've seen for civil rights (human rights) and that is part of what gives me hope. All caught on camera. I do think it's going to get harder before it gets easier, and I have to step away from time to time to self-care, but I remind myself that being systemically oppressed is FAR more uncomfortable, and so I make sure to witness all that is happening, and to listen for Black folks (and all POC) to lead the way. As white people our voices have been center stage for centuries (millenia) and it's time to listen. I truly believe that Black women in particular will save this country, and those are the voices I turn to most.

Aside from all of that (which is a LOT!), things have been good with work, and I'm giving myself permission to work at about 75-80% of what would be a maxed out schedule. I can only do "maxed out" for a few weeks anyway, so the current level is really more sustainable. I can pay my bills but I also have time to relax, do housework/projects, tend to my dad, etc.

I find it easy to stay sober at this time, as anguishing and painful as it is, because it feels SO important to both witness what's happening and to stay vigilant. I do not see leadership at the national level and I do not in any way trust the so-called leaders we have in place there. And although I am not really a person who prays, I'm as close as I can get to praying that we vote in a change in Nov. And that has nothing to do with politics, it has to do with decency.

Yes, we will have to brace for a possible super-surge in the next couple of weeks, as protesters are not always masked and they are often packed together in tight spaces. We will cross that bridge when we come to it I guess.

Have a safe day everyone.
                    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Wags, I hear ya on the 75% schedule. I have heard a lot of people comment on how much they like not being so stressed and pressed for time. Out capitalistic culture has generated a work work work attitude that is maybe profitable, but not as good for the spirit. I love my down time!

I am also worried about the super spreader events, but at the same time so appreciative of people literally risking their lives for this important time in our history. We all have to speak up now and say what is right and not allow negative voices to override the airways. It feels like time to work for fairness, equality, and love.

An old friend of my husband's stopped by last night for a patio dinner. It was nice to see him. He is getting a divorce, and has a 7 yr. old. I was able to share with him some of my experience coming from a divorced family. I hope I helped. It was almost unbearable though being outside, as the mosquitos just hatched (I thought we might have a bite-less summer!), and they were hungry.

Pauly, Arizona is brutal in the summer!! My husband's parents are living down there for the first time through this summer and we can tell they are a little cabin-fevered with the 110 F degree temps. BUT, getting out of the house is such a treat. Maybe a good AC hotel?? There are some nice higher areas in the state like Flagstaff that wouldn't be so hot. Do you Air BNB? They are up and running - just not sure how they clean their places now.

Anyway, thanks to everyone here for sharing - you are such a good group of people and I appreciate being a part of it. Don't drink - you won't regret it.
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

i am still sober. hope you all are fine dear people.
                        AF since Jan 2nd 2020

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Hot & humid here too today. Had 1 storm blow thru earlier this afternoon & another expected this evening. Lots of damage reported where my daugher lives. She tells me they have been without power for close. To 6 hours. No AC, ugh.

Al, a big CONGRATS to you or your 1 week AF :welldone:
                          Keep moving forward & have no regrets!

Pauly, how about a lake front somewhere on a mountain instead? I could go for that right now myself.
                          Do you report these crimes when you see them? You really should so the police could keep a closer eye on the area.

Pav, living out in the country away from the big cities has it’s perks. No one around here was involved in the big crowds protesting, most likely. It will be interesting to see what shakes out in a few weeks.

Wags, it’s good not having to operate at full speed all of the time! Imagine having a minute to catch your breath & maybe even relax a little, nice
                          I also want to stay very alert & aware of things going on so that I can respond accurately & in a timely fashion. Keeping everyone healthy is no little job!

I feel sorry for anyone having to raise kids alone. It just always seemed like such a full time job & one where you could always use a little help. Maybe people are a little more flexible these days & will manage just fine. Nice. That you can support an old friend!

Julia, good for you!

Hello to everyone else & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All:

Wags, you said that perfectly. And I really like the idea of being a witness - a sober, present, together witness. My little VERY white town is facing some of its demons now, and I say it is about time. The young people are ACTIVATED and I love to see it. I do hope for lasting change.

One thing about now - I don't have any FOMO that I sometimes have. I don't really want to go to big drinking events and parties, but I always have a slight feeling that I'm missing something. Now I can just settle in and relax. No one is doing anything. I do miss people, though. I miss the energy I get from being around people. Humans are not meant to be isolated...

Pauly and Kensho, I do like the idea of a little getaway. I wonder what any travel will be like this summer.

Happy SOBER Thursday,
                            Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Wednesday everyone.
                              I am listening to Dr DiAngelo's U Tube video after this. I feel like I need to learn more about this issue.

Everyone sounds good. Way to go Big Al, Julia. One day at a time.

Dont drink today, its gross.
                              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

I have FOGO, Pav - Fear of GOING out!

Groups drain me rather than energizing me so I can't say I really miss that too much but I do miss seeing small groups or individual friends. And I definitely miss being able to take off and visit family. I know this shut down has not been as hard on me psychologically or financially as it has been on others so I try not to be too cavalier about it.

The latest 'events' feel different. Maybe this country will finally be able to start finding its way out of the mess we're in. I sure hope so.

Stay well, Nesters. :hug: NS

Comment

Working...
                                X