Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I failed on day five

yo

Changed1;667115 wrote: I couldn't breathe well and wine helps me breathe. I am asthmatic and smoke. I take two medications a day to breathe. I know, I know, quit smoking.

I've found I can only go so many days smoking without picking up a glass of wine. Once I do, I breathe fine. My inhaler? Only for TRUE emergency emergencies. At any rate, caught in this vicious cycle with two addictions. I know I must quit smoking, but it's really hard to give up two addictions at once. Anyone have experience with this?

So, tomorrow is another day. 7/18 sounds like a fine day to quit both addictions. I just don't know what I'll do with myself. Thanks for listening.
    hi change just do the one that suits your purpose,doing both will make your allergies act up,when i drank to much,i found in the end my nose would run constantly,and sneeze i couldnt stop,like someone tickling your feet,if one subsides,it will be much easier to wrk on the other,i do wish you well im off to fold laundry later gyco

Comment

Changed1,

I have done very well on QuitNet. I am 60 days smoke free today!
      I am using Commit loznges for NRT, they work well and may be a good option for you especially since you need to avoid the medications. I really believe that once you have quit smoking the desire to drink will be greatly decreased. Please join us on the Q.
      www.quitnet.com
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

please consider giving up the cigarettes -- so bad ... I have seen too many die young. I don't mean to raise your anxiety (probably makes you want to smoke)

We are here to help ... and provide support ... my mother quit smoking via a behavior moderation program ... like anything (including alcohol) we have to change habits!! UGH!!!
        Tiny

Comment

I wish you success in what ever way you choose to follow on finding your way out of addiction ...
          I really do !!!
          sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

I would say take out first the one that affects your day-to-day life the most. Which for most people would be AL, get some asthma back up then have a go with the cigarettes. A lot of the smokers I've known have said they associate smoking with drinking, then again a lot of drinkers smoke more once they stop.

To me AL (although I've never smoked) would be the one to take out first, since it's my gateway drug of choice - only leads to other things.

Comment

Changed1, I wouldn't say you have failed. At least that is what I am telling myself. I "quit" drinking on June 29, but I have allowed myself a drink (or drinks) 1 night a week. The first week I totally blew it and paid dearly for it the next day. My goodness I can't remember when I have had such a hangover!

The next week I had 1 glass of wine - that's it.

This week I kind of over did it, but not as bad as the first week.

The way I see it I am drinking TONS less than I was and the ultimate goal is that I will not need my once a week fix at some point.

My goal is to save my drinking for special occasions which really only happen 3-4 times a year. And when those occasions come I want to keep it to an absolute minimum. I lead a very exciting life you know! )

Comment

Thank you all so much for your encouragement and great ideas!

Midway - I like the idea of cutting back until it's just easy to go cold turkey. I think I'll do that. I've quit cold turkey before without cutting back and it was four days of being a zombie, not sleeping, really feeling horrible.

Startingover - Wow, that is great you quit both on the same day. Happy to hear that your asthma improved. Mine can only too without the cigs.

Sheri - I will check out that forum and thanks for the tip on the nebulizer. I'll ask for it at my next Dr. appt. I really should have one here.

Cacky - Happy Day 2 and sure thing, let's keep in touch and we can do this!

Gyco - I hope your laundry folding went well! Yeah, I agree that it's best to address whatever addiction is most pressing, but I can't drink and not smoke, so I have to do both at the same time.

Lavande - Congrats on your 60 days smoke free! I will check out quitnet.

Tiny - Thanks. I do think about quitting every day and really want to.

Evie Lou - Thanks for your warm wishes. :l

UKBlonde - They both affect my day to day life. I even woke up this a.m. thinking I'd go for a bottle of wine, but no. I am not going to drink.

KabKab - I do hope you are successful with your plan. As for me, I can't imagine being able to only have one glass of wine in a week, so it looks like I have to give it up altogether.

Well, thanks so much everyone and happy Saturday!
                ^ My Baby Ruby ^

Comment

I agree with Kabkab on how we view our relapses. I think that "all or nothing" is a legacy of AA thinking. In my opinion, all of us a pretty unrealistic about our ability to go cold turkey on the first try, never drink again, live a happy life ever after.
                  For me, it is an accomplishment to go AF for a week. It is an accomplishment to walk by wine store and not stop by. It is an accomplishment to spend Friday night watching my favorite BBC shows without wine. It is a learning process.
                  So, in my eyes, Changed you are still on day seven, with a break on thay five! OK, we can settle for day six! As long as it does not start a new binge for you, you are doing great!
                  "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
                  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                  X