I passed myself on the street today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Saturday morning, I was walking home from a hard workout at the gym, feeling tired but invigorated. The sun was shining and I was pondering all the things I might do with the rest of this gorgeous day, spread out before me like a banquet. Up ahead, a big woman wearing a gray sweatsuit shuffled along unevenly, as if every step was a huge effort. I approached her from behind at the traffic light, and then she turned and asked, "Excuse me, where's the nearest liquor store?" It was then that I noticed her bloodshot eyes, droopy countenance, and general pallor. It hit me like a punch in the stomach. "There but for the grace of God..." This time, a few months ago, I would have already been working on a second bottle of champagne with my BF, looking at the piles of laundry that I just couldn't get around to, and wondering if we could justify a third bottle and if I could talk him into going to the store for it because I was too embarrassed to be seen by anyone.

I am SO, so grateful to have my life again; grateful for MWO; and for you, my dear friends that helped me get it back! Thank you, thank you!

(For the record, today I will look for "sea glass" at the beach, work on my novel, send cards to my sister and several friends, go out for crepes, and finish the day by snuggling down with the dog, a good book, and a hot chocolate. Sounds a little better than three bottles of wine, parked in front of the television watching movies I've seen before, doesn't it?)
    "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

well done Lil , you have come along way. Champagne eh? What sort? You high flyer you!!

Comment

and by the way, your day sounds lovley.

Comment

LilBit,

What a great post. Thanks!!

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

limers;667673 wrote: Champagne eh? What sort? You high flyer you!!
          OMG Limers! I LOVE your Beaker avatar! I always think of that little sound he makes when they put him in the microwave oven or use him as a test subject for explosives. He's one of my faves.

As for the champagne, [sigh], "regular" champagne for weekdays or just snarfing down with Saturday/Sunday mimosas was Barefoot Bubbly at $8-12 a bottle. Semi-special occasions (which occurred every other week) rated medium champagne -- Pieper Heidsick or Chandon at $18-25 per bottle. For the truly "special" occasions, and boy was I creative at determining what was *special,* it was "J" or Veuve Clicquot in the $35-50 range. And of course, Dom whenever I could get my hands on it.

I COULD HAVE HAD A FREAKIN' YACHT with all the money I spent on bubbly the last ten years!!!! Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Thanks, Limers. Have a great weekend yourself!

Comment

Gia;667685 wrote: What kind of crepes are you going for?
            Hi Gia, I like the cheesy ones. There's a place called "The Crepe Vine" in SF that makes them. SO good!

Comment

funny thing, I adore your avatar too, everytime I see it , it makes me smile, my god, champers is way cheaper over there, I was a champer head myself when I got the chance. I drank Chandon rose abiout 55 euros a bottle and I loved Lanson and yes of course the dom...over here 115 euro a bottle...and yes, maddness!! Ive credit card bills im still paying!!

Comment

Lilbit, what a great post!
                Moments like that are quite something arent they?
                Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Lilbit - I just had to comment. WOW!!!!!!!! You & me both!! I could be rich with all the money I wasted on that champagne. :upset:
                  "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                  AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Great post. To paraphrase the great poet, "What a gift that he could give us, to see ourselves as others see us." I was a mimosa nut too, figured the fruit juice would counteract the AL! LOL!!! So happy your so happy. In the same vein, but vastly different, I just spent all morning and early afternoon with family and friends at my BIL's memorial service. Before MWO, I would be back home (drinking) wondering if anyone noticed I looked a bit 'tight', smelled anything on me, or wondered why I kept slipping away so often! Yes, today if they're talking about me, at least it's got nothing t o do with AL!!
                    sigpic
                    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

It was a GREAT post lilbit...

We used to serve champagne here at the Inn for "special occasions"...if people were celebrating a Birthday or anniversary....Etc.
                      We do the Al free kind now and it usually comes back unopened...saves us tons of money though ...LOL
                      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

That's so sad. Sometimes I want to embrace someone and tell them how to do it.

Life doesn't work that way. We can only embrace ourselves, and are limited to merely encourage others.

Evie, it's the gesture, not the booze. It always was. It's funny how the world changes, no smoking, no booze, and we still have fun somehow. In a post months ago I observed, when I grow very old there will be nothing left to appreciate but whether the day's jello is orange or green. I intend to appreciate both of them.

Comment

LilBit;667660 wrote: ...Up ahead, a big woman wearing a gray sweatsuit shuffled along unevenly, as if every step was a huge effort. I approached her from behind at the traffic light, and then she turned and asked, "Excuse me, where's the nearest liquor store?" It was then that I noticed her bloodshot eyes, droopy countenance, and general pallor....
                          Lilbit, while I thoroughly appreciate the gravity of your post, and the clarity with which you saw the possibilities of your old life and the choices you once made, I just have to say - I do NOT think you would have ever presented out with the shapeless gray sweatsuit.

Ok, getting down to business, love to see the insight you have gained and I'm right there with, "There but by the grace of God go so many of us..."

Enjoy the cocoa this evening with doggie - he'll probably engage in some growly-butt for good measure... :H

Comment

Wow, Lilbit, what an excellent way you have with words! Your day sounds wonderful! I feel bad for the poor woman though.
                            ^ My Baby Ruby ^

Comment

Great stuff Lil!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                              X