Who's still on Topamax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's still on Topamax?

I'm curious as to how many (successful) long term moderators are still on Topamax? I'm trying this stuff out again and I seem to be tolerating it better (finally). I do believe it's because I am drinking lots of water and taking most of the supps. In the book RJ puts a lot of faith in the topamax. Please reply with some quick blurbs. Thanks Keke

Who's still on Topamax?

Hi Keke,

I tried Topa a year ago and had great sucess with it. I didn't continue it due to financial reasons but still went 60 days AF without it.
    I'm afraid to say that I can feel myself slipping back into some old habits so I've taken the bull by the horns and am now trying Baclofen.
    I chose Baclofen this time mostly due to all the great success stories I've read on the threads and because it can also help my other addictions.

Hope that helps:-)
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Who's still on Topamax?

thanks for the input

thx dee bee, anyone else out their willing to share?

Comment

Who's still on Topamax?

Keke,
        I never used meds, and don't now.
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Who's still on Topamax?

Keke,

I know of several AFers that are still on Topa, but they are subscribers and seldom post outside of subs.

However, the two I know of for sure have been on Topamax for a couple or more years. Both say how much Topa has helped them overcome their cravings.

(I'm allergic to it.)

hth,
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Who's still on Topamax?

Cinders,
            Wish I could help but I was never physcially addicted to alcohol so never had extreme cravings or any withdrawal symptoms so felt meds weren't needed by me.

Wanted to reply so you didn't feel ignored with your post but can't offer any help. Sorry!
            Eve11
            "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Who's still on Topamax?

I'm still on Topa.
              Have been on 100mg per day since I started it back in o5.
              Works for me...

I do have my days,... but nothing like I used to.
              I'm reliable & accountable now.
              The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Who's still on Topamax?

Thanks Snbm, Eve, Dee, Cind, & Jude: Not exactly a scientific sampling, but I really appreciate your responses. I'm hoping it will be a wonder drug for me!! My doc said that 75 mg should probably be my magic number so, I'll probably try to titrate up to that. Took my first ever 50 mg at once an hour ago and my tummy feels rumbly and mouth is cottonish. Had very little side effects with the 25 mgs last week and am day 7 af. Did have some irritability last night, but got throught it.....yeh. I have to beg out of a bar social next week (I think it is too early). Buy now. Keke

Comment

Who's still on Topamax?

I'm still on topomax, since Jan or Feb 2008 for 1.5 years. I take75 mg in am and 50 mg at 4 PM. Initially had tingles in toes, trouble word-finding (still can happen, but not more so than most my age), thought I had hair loss for a bit but think I was overly worried about it.... it's fine now.
                  I find it helps me be satisfied with 2 or so drinks where I used to not want to stop until I'd
                  had a whole bottle (5 drinks).

Ask

PS You might try posting on Topa thread for more responses

Comment

Who's still on Topamax?

Thanks Ask for help, I'm with you on the word thing. Topamax or Menopause?

Comment

Who's still on Topamax?

As Eve says, never physically addicted so never needed it. So dont know...sorry thats not much help. I really hope it will be great for you. Well done on 7 days AF, Moo
                      "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
                      but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Who's still on Topamax?

ANYONE OUT THERE!!! Appreciate all who respond. Keep up the posting!! Day 10 and so far tolerating the drug well this time. Will take third dose of 50 mgs later. Maybe it's because I'm not cutting the pill in half, maybe the extra water, maybe cuz I started menapause and sweat like a pig now whereas I didn't much in the past (heard the topa actually makes some people sweat less) lol, hee hee. I do find I'm making up for the caloric intake of wine with carbs. My appetite has also stayed with me this time (bummer) oh well. It's nice being "present" in the evening and positive about the future, so I'll deal. Where is everyone that this "program" as a whole is suppose to help? I know it takes work, but seems to me there should be more people responding who are like RJ. Hellooooo?

Comment

Who's still on Topamax?

Keke,
                          There is very little in the MWO book about how to learn to drink moderately. It makes it sound like it happens magically, but that was not my experience. As I've mentioned, I did not take any meds. But most of us who keep alcohol in the picture have developed an arsenal of tools to keep control of alcohol.
                          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Who's still on Topamax?

interested in going back on topomax

Hi, I'm new to the blog area. I went through the MWO program and enjoyed my success but now that I have finished the program I can feel myself slipping and having more cravings. Would like advice on if I can start just the topomax again? I think my subscription is still good so that I wouldn't have to go back to the doctor. Jump right in and how much do I take, will that control the cravings. Thanks for suggesstions.

Comment

Who's still on Topamax?

Keke,
                              I just went back on the topamax last week. It has pulled me out of a heavy drinking periods about 3 times over the past 3 years and lead me into long periods of abstinence. I doubt that I have ever been physically dependent on alcohol because of my patterns and history but the topamax helps a great deal in getting me back on track, especially when I'm using all of the other tools RJ recommends.
                              Good luck!
                              Namaste'
                              It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X