Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my sad tale

Hello, my name is Pete and I need help.

I have been watching this site for a long time, wanting to get involved, because I know what I am.

I am not a violent drunk, nor a silly or stupid one. I have never been bad on my drink, yet I know that it is hurting me and I want to stop.

My story?

I started drinking when I was 14. At that time, my parents were very concerned with my brother's bad health, so I fell under the radar. My friend Daryl and I were getting goon very easily.

Then I was in a rock band, and drinking was the norm. I liked it.

Later, when I was 19, i came out. I am gay, and I splashed out with drugs and drink, as is the norm. I spent my whole twenties fucking myself up. I was the DJ in the leading Adelaide gay nightclub, having wild drug fuelled sex and boozy nights endlessly.

When I got sick of that, I landed myself a job with a huge hotel chain. I wanted to get out of the whole scene. I wanted to not be a speed addict anymore.

But the hotel scene proved even more boozy than the one I had left. We worked fucking hard, and played even harder - it further made me enjoy my drink.
    I spent close to ten years by myself, alone, with no partner, drinking my loneliness away.

I drank and drank and drank - I could easily have died, it didn't matter to me. My mother died of ovarian cancer, and I drank so I could handle that. My brother was steadily dying from his complications, so I drank more.

Then I realised that I am alcoholic - I need booze.

I met a wonderful man, and I love him dearly. But I just cannot give up the drink. I want to and I know that it hurts him when I get pissed. The very last thing I want is to hurt this person, because I love him so.
    I have a habit of hiding it from him, but he is never fooled, he always knows.

Can anyone here please give me some advice? I am feeling hopeless now, I feel that I am going to lose everything I want in my life because of this evil addiction.

xx
    cronker

my sad tale

i cant really give advice, but i do know you have taken the first step and there are lots of people who will be able to support and maybe advise you here, have a look at the home page and go to toolbox for ideas, you can always go to live chat, at least you know what you want and you have someone there for you now, so keep looking in here and keep posting even if it's only to moan, we all understand, love and hugs Tawnywitch
    Twitch

Comment

my sad tale

Hello Cronker, you have taken the first step on the road to recovery by joining this wonderful place. There is loads of information and support to be found here. Have you read the book? You can download it from here. Read around the threads and you'll find we're all in the same boat but thankfully some are finding our way out.
      Wishing you sucess,
      Opal.

Comment

my sad tale

:welcome: Pete.

The toolbox thread is in the monthly abstinence section and really has a lot of great ideas about how to deal with cravings. It's a great place to start. Keep close, keep reading, keep posting. You'll find lots of support here. Good Luck!
        AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

my sad tale

Hi and welcome Pete.
          Have you read the book "My Way Out" yet? I highly recommend it to help you get a plan together.
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

my sad tale

Hey Pete, if you really want to get sober, see your doc and ask for some meds that help reduce the craving. They are expensive but so is booze and losing the luv of your life. :welcome::l

Comment

my sad tale

:l Pete

Your story may start out sad but it doesn't have to end that way. You have got good advice already here - start with reading, reading, and then reading some more here. Get the book and read that. Decide if you want to give the supplements and hypnotherapy a go. Involve your doctor, if you feel he/she may be able to help. Do check out the toolbox thread (click here). Involve your partner. Support from your significant other can make this SO much easier.

We're all pulling for you. You can do this. You are not alone in this.
              Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

my sad tale

:welcome:

Hi Pete,

Can't add much to what has already been said.

But it can be quite dangerous to quit cold turkey. Have a trip to your Doc. I'm sure he'd rather help you now than later down the line.

It is doable.

Wishing you all the luck in the world.

Love Jackie xxx

AF since 7/7/2009
                It could be worse, I could be filing.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

my sad tale

Hang in there Cronker!

I am certainly not the best person to be giving advice at this particular time. However, I wanted to let you know you are not alone. Your "sad tale" is SO similar to mine, starting with drinking at a young age. And, I also have met a wonderful guy who doesn't like it when I get pissed as much as I do. I also try to hide it, but know deep down he knows. I don't want to lose him because of AL.

SO......we have to try and keep on trying until we get it. The alternative is not good.....

Lots of people on this site have gotten sober and it seems there are many different roads to "the promise land". Let's keep trying the different paths until we find our own.

Look forward to sharing the journey with you!

Comment

my sad tale

Hi Pete,

Welcome to MWO, glad you found us! This is a good place, full of good people & lots of support
                    Read the book, make your plan, commit yourself and just go for it!
                    We are all here to help so stay close, let us know how you are doing!

Wishing you the best!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

my sad tale

Hi Pete,
                      I thought I heard an Aussie twang in there (goon!)
                      You've come to a great place...I & many others were feeling so very despondent when we got here. I'm not despondent anymore...this place has been amazing.
                      The MWO thing is a whole programme involving diet, exercise, hypnotherapy/meditation, meds (if you choose), vitamin supplements and the community here - put it together and there is an answer for everyone, take what you need & use it.
                      I really hope you stick around & make the changes you know you need to make - for your partner but more importantly for YOU.
                      Come visit on 'The Next Day Thread October' in the general section if you want - lots of Aussies there - we're all bona fide nutjobs and alkies/problem drinkers in various stages of recovery. The comraderie is vital to recovery and everyone is really welcome.
                      Read, post, ask friend.

Angel (Sydney)
                      xo

Comment

my sad tale

Welcome, you have taken the first step. Order the book, it is helpful, one person's path to changing her drinking pattern. When you are in the midst of drinking, it feels hopeless, but just by posting on this site, you have started your journey. Support here is awesome, and no one expects perfection or judges you, just support and caring.

This is hard work but it is so worth it. There is a wonderful life out there without alcohol, and you can find it. Positive thoughts are going out to you.:h
                        Redhibiscus

Comment

my sad tale

Welcome to My Way Out Pete
                          It could definitely be your way out of the booze.
                          You have found a place that is safe and free from judgement. We are all fighting for sobriety here. Read and post as much as you possibly can and come back here often. I am coming on here at least twice a day! You may want to check into the Newbies Nest or ODAT (one day at a timi). I wish you all the best on your journey. Please stay here in this wonderful community. You will be glad you did!

:l:l:welcome:
                          When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                          -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

my sad tale

Welcome Pete!

You have taken the first giant step already! After that it's baby steps each day, you will find yourself getting stronger in your sobriety. I started out "trying" the 30 days alcohol free and am now over 2 months. Before i couldnt make it past 2 days.

Read, post, and lean on the amazing people here. We are all rooting for you!!
                            AF/SF - November 23, 2014

Comment

Working...
                            X