Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has modding truly worked for anyone? Truly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dancing - it's interesting. The author of the book wrote the book mostly about moderating with the caveat that some people cannot moderate. Of course, she moderated with the help of meds. I've heard that she is now AF - not sure if that's a rumor.

There aren't very many here that moderate, to be sure. I'm doing it, and am really happy with my progress. But, I have to say, I really like being AF and am choosing that most of the time.

I'm still pretty early on in modding after a 2.5 month AF period, so the jury is still out for me.

KG

Comment

Anyone still here?

Moderation is working for me. Two months on...
      Be strong-
      We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
      Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

As far as I know, RJ is abstinent. She stopped drinking altogether because her husband was ill and absolutely could not drink. She joined him in sobriety to support him. She was successful with moderating for a number of years, but she would do periods of alcohol-free to keep her on an even keel, along with continuing the medication, hynotherapy and exercise.

RJ's book was written a number of years ago, and it was written with the idea that moderation was a viable option for problem drinkers. As many of us have learned, moderation is a very purposeful endeavor, and very few of us can just "moderate". There are some who can, and I agree that it is easier if someone has not had a long term problem with alcohol. I joined the forum not long after it began. As we all are, RJ is still a work in progress. It took me 2 1/2 years to become AF after realizing that I couldn't moderate, at least not at that point in time. I was AF for 3 1/2 years. Initially, I was ecstatic at the thought I wouldn't have to give up drinking entirely. Of course, over time, I found that it wasn't that easy. Many people have decided that it is just easier to go AF. At this point, I have to work hard not to slip back into old patterns. Even after 3 1/2 years AF, I could still feel the pull of the beast.

AT any rate, I don't know if RJ is AF or moderating at this exact moment, but I hope that the information I provided can help you understand some of what happened since she wrote the book. The information that I have passed along to you is at least 6 months old.

Anyway, good luck with moderation or abstinence, whatever you choose. It is always the good fight when you are fighting against alcohol abuse!
        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Thanks for that. I wondered where the information came from.
          You sound strong Rebirth. I'm glad it's working for you.
          I'm just starting a period AF again now, because although I found I could moderate I didn't feel safe or happy there at this stage. It was interesting though to experiment and find it is possible to go back to sipping and stopping at two, when out socially. But, as you say, you have to be sure you have dealt with the compulsion and I can still feel it sitting on my shoulder when I drink alone. So at this stage, I want to go back to AF and get strong.

Comment

Hi dancingon,
            May I ask what your drinking history is? You have probably mentioned it before in a thread so forgive me.
            My compulsion to get drunk has certainly left me. but I still get the occassional urges to have the odd glass of wine during the week. But I ignore theme. Just like i feel like eating a whole cake. I ignore that one too.....
            Be strong-
            We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.

Comment

Hi rebirth wondering were you got to, delighted that your moderation is working out for you, never worked for me not even when it comes to cake :-( anyway nice to see you :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Oh it's mario! Hello good morning. x
                Be strong-

Comment

Re: Has modding truly worked for anyone? Truly?

It did not work for me for 20 years but then I rewired my brain with lamictal/abilify and sertraline which i needed to do anyway and it woks now. i have been fine for 6 months.

Comment

Working...
                  X