somewhat depressed and lost athletically

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it was with a heavy heart that I told my Muay Thai instructor today that I am taking an indefinite leave to heal up from various breaks/sprains etc my poor bod had endured over the years. i've proven to myself that I can get in there and bang with the 20 year olds but at what price? I just have this nagging feeling I'm going to injure myself any given class, and after that broken ankle earlier this year it's a reminder those injuries take sooooo long to heal.

I've always thoroughly enjoyed the martial arts but now my body is not bouncing back like it was when I was younger and reality is crashing down on me. Regular vigorous exercise has been critical to my recovery but I find most gym programs to be utterly boring and won't bother to do them unless they are truly fun and inspiring. aaaaaaarg! I'm now athletically homeless. lost and adrift.
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Awww deter......:l Tai chi? Qigong? Bicycle rack for your car?

I faced that when I quit doing triathalons in order to resume some education courses along with work. When I finished that, I thought long and hard about resuming the racing, particularly the running part and gave it up. I was probably your age. I did keep up a boring program of sorts and when it lapsed, I lapsed right along with it. If you feel you are in dangerous waters, my friend, keep swimming!
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

I love my bike - they always think I'm younger on my bike. I also swim 2x weekly, and at least 2x weekly I do specific exercises for weaker body parts. Gardening is also great: if you don't already grow garlic, you should. It is very easy. I don't know you well, but you are famous on MWO for garlic!
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hi Det.

I know what you're feeling - I'm pretty active and reasonably fit for my age (early 50's). Tried playing volleyball last year - my torn rotator didn't like spiking much, then I ripped a calf muscle pretty bad.

I agree with the other comments. I know you find the gym boring - but truth is I've gotten used to it. I'm no muscle-head, but know how much better I feel with a solid core and enough wind to climb a flight of stairs. If there's any interest there - I've recently found a pretty useful book called "New Rules of Lifting" which lays out some common sense strength programs. I lift at least 2x and do cardio 2x.

Like you I'd rather be competitive; but then there's golf...
        Nobody asked for this; we're just stuck cleaning up the mess. -

Comment

Det, do you need to talk? Hope to catch up with you this weekend.

Comment

Oh Det, that is tough.
            What about running? Would that cut the mustard?
            I am reading a book right now called "Fat Chick to Marathon Runner"
            Its inspiring me to get back on the streets :-)
            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

hi det, its called age , and you hit it on the button,your in a round and pound sport,and the bod is letting you no,enuff is enuff,it is good your listening,i didnt , and im very lucky im not in a wheel chair,beleive me when i tell you there is so much out there for you to do,in my case like yours , i did,mostly physical,im a man,hahahha,street fighting, hockey,racquetball,squash,and last but not least marathoning,find somthin not so physical golf,i do wish you well det gyco ps i wouldnt give up what i did in life for anything i dont regret it

Comment

Det, think it happens to all of us at some point. You just need to find something else that you are just as passionate (or close to) about - but it's not always easy right away. Just like accepting that we can no longer drink like normal people, we also reach a point where physically our body starts taking us in a different direction.

What you're feeling is normal, I think. I STILL have running dreams after five years, but I've accepted that in order to stay active I have to make certain concessions - and my knees just can't take it anymore. Sounds like you might be going through a little grieving process? Even so, I have this sneaking feeling that sooner rather then later you'll be back on your horse climbing mountains, adventure racing, etc.

Hang tough, my friend.

You could always try cycling - I'm sure you'd look smashing in lycra!
                Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Well Chuck Norris is old (I'm going to get in trouble for saying that) and he's still going strong! And what about Steven Segal... he's a cop in his spare time. Maybe you just need to ramp up from another direction to strengthen some areas that are causing problems. Do some spot work, then revisit your martial arts.

Woof!
                  Kelly

Comment

Det....I know how you feel. I told myself that I can't bang with the youngin's years ago. ( Having two boys: 21 & 16 ) You'll find your nitch out thier.....theirs people your age banging and hanging ! ha! Talking about feeling depressed: My youngest son's High School Wrestling Team got thier "arse" handed to them last night! ha! ( First Meet...against last years State Champions ! Ha! ) My boy got pinned ...2nd round. Oh Well. IAD
                    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                    Dr. Seuss

Comment

Aww, Det, my good friend. I hate it when you're down. You will find another alternative, I'm sure of it.
                      Enlightened by MWO

Comment

I was getting rather bored of my gym routine and hired a trainer to "up" my routine so it was interesting and challenging. I had done every spin, cardio, body pump, kickboxing, body attack class there was. My new routine is not a walk in the park, but I CAN do it with effort and although I feel sore most of the time, it proves to me it's working. I also spent the money on the trainer because I knew I was saving that by not visiting the bottle shop anymore. A little gift to me!
                        AF since 2/4/10
                        Nicotine free since 3/31/10
                        FINALLY FREE

Comment

OH, Det
                          I so know how u feel. I play a vigorous game of softball and am in pain for days.lol. Swimming is great and race walking is good enough for me; with my Ipod of course. I cant move without music.
                          "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Hula dancing! We need more kane's!!!
                            "I have not failed - I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas A Edison

Comment

thanks everyone, great stuff. and it's getting closer to NY's where the inevitable rush to the gym will take place. I guess the good part of that is the specials the gyms will be running to recruit newbies.

Hula? oh boy LOL
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                              X