Happy and Content Sober Living

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like that: "The Prize", as so named by Kate. We all should desire one!

July

Comment

When I had an accident the other night, I'm sure the people in Urgent Care wondered why I walked in with a bleeding head and a smile. Because I was able to simply get in the car and drive myself there. Something so many probably take for granted.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

So much great stuff on this thread!! Wow! Caysea....I need to print what you wrote! So many things, many that most take for granted, we too enjoy in our new sober lives!

Greenie, sorry to hear about your accident! I hope you are recovering nicely!

Sober life......Happy life!!
        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

caysea;771952 wrote: Hi All
          Until you step away from al you don't realize how it takes over your total being.
          If I went to a baseball game where is the beer man.
          If I went out to dinner why is the waiters taking so long to take my drink order.
          Do we have enough beers for the boat trip are the beers cold for after the softball game.
          Everything I was involved in was secondary.
          Now everything I enjoy as a Hobie is my focal point.My physical fitness level is important so I can perform at my best in tennis tournaments.I used to play thinking about the cooler of beer waiting for me. I was never enjoying fully what used to be a passion.
          Looking back on my life I was passionate about drinking.How sad!
          I now go out to eat and look forward to the taste of the food. I compete putting my all into my effort on the court no hangover excuses. I am enjoying life and feel I am stopping and living in the moment.
          When I first stopped drinking I could never imagine I would rather be at home with a good book then out with the gang drinking.I now prefer it and enjoy the control and calm I have in my life.Yes the control over not drinking which I never had before because I thought I would miss the lifestyle that went along with it.
          It was the wrong choice for a lifestyle and it had taken over control of every aspect of my life.
          I have the control back . Not the control over al but the control over the decision not to drink.
          No thanks I don't drink do you have a soda. Nobody I know can imagine how good it feels to me inside to say that.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
          AF 5-16-08
          I've read this thread, but couldn't put into words how I feel now. Thank you Caysea for saying EXACTLY how it was/is for me!
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Sorry if you misunderstood my previous comment. I meant that when we drink we delude ourselves it is part of the fun. However when we sober up we see how much fun life really is and the alcohol somehow dulls/lessens our experience of it all. Likewise when we strip away the distractions alc doesn't seem much fun anymore.
            I am blessed with love joy and sobriety.

Comment

Raven, I think you have hit upon a brilliant thought here "when we drink, we delude ourselves that it is part of the fun"........! Wow! How true that statement is for so many of us.

For me, I always thought that having a drink or two would make me more outgoing, more fun, more spontanious.....but truly it made me obnoxious and rude and usually led to making a fool of myself and feeling awful and ashamed. Surely I was not the life of the party!

These days, I love being "part of the party", remembering all that went on, appreciating the fun and interactions and being able to wake up the next day with warm memories without regret! I no longer "delude myself that alcohol is part of the fun"!
              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Raven.joy;772911 wrote: Sorry if you misunderstood my previous comment. I meant that when we drink we delude ourselves it is part of the fun. However when we sober up we see how much fun life really is and the alcohol somehow dulls/lessens our experience of it all. Likewise when we strip away the distractions alc doesn't seem much fun anymore.
                This is a really good point Raven. And when I read your other post (the one you clarified with this one) I really got a vision of sitting totally alone in a room with a drink in front of me. I felt the lonliness and darkness. And that is EXACTLY where years of drinking led me. To the point that I wasn't even deluding myself anymore that alcohol added to the fun. I was just sitting alone drinking. And that is all. And it definitely was no fun.

I appreciate all the posts here on this thread. Once again Kate..this is a good one.

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

The wisdom in the words spoken on this thread
                  The authentic place that each of you is coming from.
                  The renewed enthusiasm for life and the deep gratitude expressed.
                  This is what being AF is all about!
                  I am honored to be in your company.
                  AF Since April 20, 2008
                  4 Years!!!
                  :lilheart:

Comment

Congrats KateH1

Just Realized that KateH1 is recently 2 years AF
                    Well Done Kate
                    Well Done!!
                    AF Since April 20, 2008
                    4 Years!!!
                    :lilheart:

Comment

Happiness, contentment and total freedom is what I have been given and in retrospect the work involved to get here was not much compared to the rewards. Of course I did not know that at the start either and for me too it was ODAT but the rewards were quick to come and that kept me going through the ups and downs of changing the habits of a lifetime. I can now go anywhere and do anything without even thinking about it – a far cry from the tiny world of binge drinking/smoking that I used to exist in. I also sometimes wonder why I sabotaged myself with AL for so long – most of my adult life – over 25 years in some form or other. Maybe deep down I was afraid I would not measure up to my own expectations of myself so if I did not try to be the person I could be then I could not fail. I can honestly say that the last year and a half has been the best time of my whole life – the most challenging but also the most rewarding and I am so glad that I did measure up to this challenge in the end. I am fit and healthy and so happy now it’s impossible to comprehend that I was hell bent on killing myself only a short time ago. For me personally I followed the program as closely as I possibly could on the basis that I had no clue how to stop the cycle of AL abuse - if I had I would have surely done it long before then. I read every post and followed practically every suggestion that was within my means – I would have eaten horse shit if someone told me it would help. There are so many people on MWO who inspired me to keep going – those ahead of me and those behind me and those sharing the journey with me and the sharing of information and tactics and tips was a big part of my success. There are plenty of us around to show that it is possible with a bit of effort to change the habits of a lifetime – it may not be easy but it sure as hell is worth it! We are all worth it…. and its never too late to stop hiding behind the bottle and be the best person you can be.
                      M

Comment

Great post, boozy!
                        sigpic
                        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

very nice.
                          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Greenie suggested I read this thread. Love all the Optimism!

I'm "only" at 11 days AF. But it crosses my mind: HOW many days have I totally wasted in my life?? OK. Can't go there...

Now, I Remember my days and enjoy the "simple" things. I pray I can hold on to this.

Merry Christmas!
                            Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Hi Kate, great way of living alcohol free life, I'm inspired with your words, and will try to follow them.

Comment

Fantastic thread, thanks for bumping it!
                                "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                                NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Working...
                                X