Alcohol use and weight loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've known for years that it was practically impossible for me to lose weight as long as I was drinking alcohol. And as years went by, it got worse, because the hangovers were terrible if I didn't eat before I passed out. This is just an interesting article that explains this phenomenon.

Alcohol Eats Away at Muscle Mass - Lifestyle & Motivation - FitFacts - American Council On Exercise(ACE)

Of course, it goes on to say that we shouldn't be afraid to have a few drinks once in awhile--it may even be good for us. I'm willing to bet it does more harm than good for most human beings whether anyone will admit that or not. Alcohol is so over-rated in our society.
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Thanks for the article LVT25.

I enjoy reading everything about my two favorite subjects; Exercise and Alcohol. I totally agree that it is extremely hard to lose any weight when you consume AL daily. I know first hand how alcohol effects exercise. I have been exercising longer than I have been drinking daily, and the daily drinking seems to be overpowering the daily exercise.

Without the alcohol we can walk/run further and faster, we can increase the amount of weight we lift in strength training, and by losing the bloat we will start to see some "cuts" in our arms, legs, and abs . We need to change our daily drinking habits, or cut it out altogether, and add more and more exercise including intense aerobic exercise and strength training.

We want to feel good, we want to be strong, and most of all, we want to be healthy !!
    Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

Thanks for the article - I've printed it out & will read it often for reinforcement. Of course, LVT25, if I'm not seeing evidence of my new 'ripped' physique soon, I'll be back to question you! Ha!

Only kidding - but boy would that be nice now wouldn't it? Unfortunately I haven't been excercising longer than I'd been drinking daily (good for you Miss October), I was just lucky I came from a good gene pool . . . . .I have been thinking about working out though. I'd love to turn the clock back a bit. Maybe get obsessive about something GOOD for me for a change.

Comment

I DO NOT want to promote drinking for anyone, AF is the best choice. But this is interesting, and the truth as usual seems elusive.
        Study: Women who drink moderately tend to gain less weight in midlife - latimes.com
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

I DO NOT want to promote drinking, I think AF is the best choice, but the truth is elusive as usual:
          Study: Women who drink moderately tend to gain less weight in midlife - latimes.com
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Well that's if you keep it to two a day or less. I read the mod thread & it seems many don't stay at two or less . . . .or at least if they do they struggle to do so . . . .and one glass of wine is 4 oz isn't it? In restaurants a lot of the time they give you a huge glass & pour a third of the bottle in it and call it glass . . .I don't know. Call me skeptical. But most of the time, if the objective is to lose weight, you're better off avoiding or limiting alcohol since it dehydrates you & you process food less effectively. Weight watchers even says this when you are in the 'loss mode'. Once you are maintaining, you still have to be careful due to your own metabolism issues. As people age, it just doesn't seem to do you any favors.

Comment

Yes, I agree, Sunbeam and Funny girl. I don't think weight gain is an issue for those that truly drink in moderation.

I was consuming probably an extra 1000 calories most days just in beer. When I dieted in the past, I never gave up the alcohol of course and struggled to lose a pound or two. Once I cut out the alcohol, I lost weight without altering my diet or exercise. It is interesting to me the effects alcohol has on our bodies besides the additional calories.
              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Me too LVT25 - I was probably doing an extra thousand calories a day in either beer or wine. Alcohol made me a slug on top of it - once I started drinking I sure didn't move around as much - I'd "settle in". Since I quit smoking & didn't have that to do anymore, in recent years I found I'd be eating peanuts or something - usually later in the evening - you know right before bed, so I'd be "burning those calories while I slept" - yeah right . . . . .I'd wake up fatter & more bloated by the day. But, then again, that's not an example of moderate anything . . . .so, I know that's not at all what Sunbeam is referencing. If only I'd been born thin & french!

Comment

LVT, thanks for the link... interesting site that I would not have come across from down here...

Comment

Thank you so much for that article, a VERY good read!

Even MORE motivation to keep the damn monkey off of our backs!!!
                    I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

o dear, looks like im the odd one out. since stopping drinking, ive put on weight... over half a stone. i know why, ive been nibbling in the evening to replace nibbling alcohol. at the moment im not too bothered as im just pleased to be AF but i think i need to address it soon.... and start doing some flipping exercise. one day at a time for me but at least im focussed now
                      Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                      Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Any successful diet plan will discourage the consumption of alcohol,alcoholic drinks are simply empty calories with little or no nutritional value,a simple can of beer can contain 153 calories. Majority of premixed drinks are around 216 calories whereas our favourite fruit concoctions can have up to 400 calories,when on a diet, every calorie counts and when a single beverage can add 400 calories to your daily calorie count,you may need to skip one of your meals that day,Your body has built in storage areas for fats and carbohydrates. Your body does not have the ability to store alcohol,Fat burning is severely suppressed when you drink alcohol because fat is at the bottom of the oxidative chain,
                        ipad dock

Comment

spuddleduck....just enjoy being AF.....that is where I am trying to get to.....have stopped drinking wine, which in itself is a miracle!! You can start exercising slowly...is there any activity that you enjoy?

Comment

Working...
                          X