No announcement yet.

What was your rock bottom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This topic came up in a couple places today.

If you've joined a quit-drinking website, you're probably near enough to a bottom to just get this done. There's nothing better to wait for.

Comment

Just thought I bump this up... Since I hit my rock bottom the only way has been back up...

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

My rock bottom was 2 days ago.....just gave in, cried my eyes out and asked for help.
        It wasn't a rock bottom of a particular event....just a feeling of 'I just can't do this any more....please help me.' I felt desperate and alone.
        Strangely enough, now I don't. I rang for help from a counsellor today....I feel excited that this is the change I needed.
        My daughters were the only ones that knew but now I have told my mum and sisters and they have been great. I feel hope.
        IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
        Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

My rock bottom was being afraid to leave work because I KNEW I'd open the bottle of wine as soon as I got in the door.
          Being a drunk is so unseemly for a woman of a certain age - and I HATED it.
          The lies, the bags of bottles, the excuses for not having visitors or going out after a certain time.

Funnily enough - once I had decided to quit it was then Mr S found empties I'd been too lazy to get rid of - or had forgotten about.
          Then when I was 4 months sober I planned a return to drink on a trip to Australia. The family decided to pick that time to confront me - so a perfect storm really.
          The game was up - so I gave in - almost grateful that I had been outed.
          I just did not want to be that sad person any more.
          Last edited by satz123; November 23, 2016, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by daisy45 View Post
            My rock bottom was 2 days ago.....just gave in, cried my eyes out and asked for help.
            It wasn't a rock bottom of a particular event....just a feeling of 'I just can't do this any more....please help me.' I felt desperate and alone.
            Strangely enough, now I don't. I rang for help from a counsellor today....I feel excited that this is the change I needed.
            My daughters were the only ones that knew but now I have told my mum and sisters and they have been great. I feel hope.
            :hug::hug: Daisy - stay strong. Family knowing is a good thing. You can do this...

Comment

That's exactly how I feel Satz....thank you.
              IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
              Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

I have the same feeling Satz. Floods of tears and just overall sadness.
                Daisy- I see you also on D1/2 can I PM you?

Comment

My rock bottom was in July 2008. I was so desperate I wanted to die. Could not go to work as I think i had al poisoning but still drank on top of that. Was so depressed and had been for what seemed like months. I was willing myself to die as I was too scared to do anything myself.

That fear lasted 6 years then I let it go and started off again. I did not hit anywhere near that this time. Just the realisation that I was once again risking killing myself and spending my days and nights drinking or thinking about it and popping pills.

Comment

Thought I would bump this up...

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Re: What was your rock bottom

I was a professional drunk. Not many people knew it but my wife and kids did. They either couldn't or just didn't call me out on it probably because I am very successful. I thrived during the heaviest of my drinking which was a fifth of vodka every day, 2/day on the weekends. Did that for a decade. Of course my health declined, a slow burn of sorts and almost all of it could be attributed to genetics, age and being a tad overweight and even my doctor did not make the connection of my gout, high blood pressure, inflammation and dizziness to booze. Anyway, my last year of drinking I started to get real dizzy and a couple times actually fainted, hit the ground, but was OK in seconds and it was all blamed on my medications. The last time though I knew it was from the booze and this time it was both my wife and son who helped me back up and just the fear and shock of me going down like that was more than I could bear. There was clearly the marquis handwriting on the wall screaming you will die very soon if you don't stop. What was so hard is I was saying this to myself for a better part of a decade or since Feb 18th 2008 when I joined here. Yet it took 8 more years to get to the front door of hell and weeks most months from dying to quit this time for good. 25 month sober and going strong. Oh all my health issues have resolved and gone away since I got sober. Ya paying attention Doc?
                      Is Addiction Really a Disease?
                      Watch this and find out....
                      http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

First of all - huge congratulations on over 2 years sober!! Such a relief for you that your health issues have resolved. A fine example of why we need to get sober to save ourselves.

I think that most doctors are not aware of the toll that AL can take on us both physically and mentally. And they are not interested in becoming aware. I shared the fact that I had a drinking problem with my GP some years ago and she practically threw me out of her office. Made me feel like I was a piece of garbage. She knew nothing about how to deal with me so her reaction was to diminish me and ignore the issue. I don't have much faith in doctors anyway and she's a fine example of why.

4TB- onwards and upwards!!!
                        For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
                        AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Congratulations on 2 years and a month 4TB! Legend. :thumbsup:

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                          X