IT'S SO SIMPLE IT JUST MIGHT WORK !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I crazy to believe that just by tracking and chatting with like-minded people I may be able to stick to sharing a bottle of wine with my hubby 3 or 4 nights a week. That is my goal and as it is we split a bottle 6 days a week with a few extra drinks thrown in occasionally. The reason I am taking this little habit seriously is that as you all know, alcohol is a progressive disease and self-awareness is the beginning of any change, large or small that should be made.

I have to admit that I have tried abstinence with no success longer than a few days but my drinking is not out of control (oxymoron) and I never wake up with a hangover and have no side effects except waking up in the middle of the night feeling dry.

I still feel that by leaving things as they are and we DO enjoy our life, I am missing an opportunity to slow down what will inevitably be a progressive drinking habit. So the question is: am I being realistic? I hope so.
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Hi Tip. I am not an expert as I am wondering if I am being realistic with my goal of moderation after my next 90 days af.

I have stopped drinking in the past for four years due to marital trouble and walking a Christian path. After the divorce I started drinking moderately again. But because of on going residual problems with the ex my drinking escalated over time to an unacceptable level. I almost immediately did a 30 day af challenge upon entering this form. (29 actually--some might say I failed but I don't in the least)

However I am now under a lot of financial stress and I began quickly to fall into the place I was when I started posting in April. This was unacceptable to me. So I am now taking a longer period of abstinence challenge in order to step back again. I am fairly confident that I can do this. And I will go from there once I meet that goal.

My concern in your above post is that you have not been able to put ANY af time into practice. You are here and concerned about your drinking and I think everyone here will say you first need to see if you CAN put some af time in and during that time you will have time for some serious self reflection. Initially I thought 30 days was enough. others and now myself included would suggest the longer af term before re-evaluation.

All the best!

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Obviously stress is a big trigger for you. I think you should be so proud of yourself for being strong enough to abstain. You have a plan and you are sticking to it.

You are absolutely right about abstaining for 30 days+, RC but the problem is, I can't seem to do it. Why, I don't know. My supps have not arrived yet although I have some from the health food store. I have my CD's but haven't listened to them regularly. I think I just answered my question. Last night company came and we all got drunk. Woke up feeling great. Go Figure. I am getting tired of listening to myself.. such a broken record. Sometmes I think a very negative consequence has to happen (and it hasn't) in order for me to truly want to abstain for a period of time. Sorry for rambling. Wish I had your presence of mind and determination.
      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

this is weird

Tipp~
        I posted a reply to this yesterday morning before Cedars.....now I don't see it!
        Where did it go??
        I would LOVE to simply have a glass or two and walk away. I so enjoy my wine and feel I DESERVE it after a long day at work.
        However ~ just like last night~ I said I would have two, no more than three and poured my 4th before going to bed......can't remember that 4th glass.
        I too feel fine this morning.
        I'm trying AF tonight. I guess if I have at least a few AF nights during the week that's better than before.
        Have a great time on your camping trip!!

Comment

Tipplerette;899769 wrote: Obviously stress is a big trigger for you. I think you should be so proud of yourself for being strong enough to abstain. You have a plan and you are sticking to it.

You are absolutely right about abstaining for 30 days+, RC but the problem is, I can't seem to do it. Why, I don't know. My supps have not arrived yet although I have some from the health food store. I have my CD's but haven't listened to them regularly. I think I just answered my question. Last night company came and we all got drunk. Woke up feeling great. Go Figure. I am getting tired of listening to myself.. such a broken record. Sometmes I think a very negative consequence has to happen (and it hasn't) in order for me to truly want to abstain for a period of time. Sorry for rambling. Wish I had your presence of mind and determination.
          Hi Tip~~I believe you did answer your own questions. You've planted the seed, you have the tools, now you have to tend to their growth. I hope the weeds do not ever take you over.

Thanks for the pep talk and praise Tip. I guess you could say I failed already. I had a beer tonight with friends with dinner. Still going for a sober summer.

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Hi Tip~

I sooo want to control moderation....I am calling my doc tomorrow to see if she would support me with meds. I feel like I can do it. I had 2 lite beers tonite and had another one out but put it away????? who am I? Just kidding. I just didn't want it so I didn't drink it. I love these forums and the people here.
            Just got back from camping and didn't moderate as well as when I am home. something to work on.

I will check in as much as I can.

Comment

I started this thread in 2014 as Tipplerette. Rather than being ashamed of my total lack of achieving a happy moderation or any abstinence longer than a month, I will print it, put it where I can see it and learn from it.

I cannot reach a level of moderation that keeps me happy with myself.
              I drink never or daily; no middle of the road for me.
              Learn from this.
              Lao-Tzu

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS SS!!!!!!!!!:goodjob:

Comment

With you all the way, sweet SS!! :l:l:l:h:h:h
                  On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                  *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

I don't know if I can actually do this because I'm planning to go AF but this looks fun I'm thinking of giving a shot.
                    Alcohol will hit you bad but you can always turn your back
                    Alcohol can bring a lot of misery but there is a solution because it's not a mystery
                    Alcohol will give you pleasure but in the future it will give you pain that you cannot treasure

Comment

Don't do it Marty!! It didn't work. Like I said earlier, I am the old Tipplerette, years later, still here. Moderation does NOT work. Learn from my mistakes. You either drink or you don't. I don't.
                      Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
                      X