New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To clarify, this is my 2nd week on Topa - just started taking 75 mgs on Monday after titrating up. I drink about a bottle a night most weeknights & sometimes more...you know the translations that 1 glass of wine = 4 oz. I don't use those measurements either just threw that 5-7 glasses out there as a number. A spade is a spade.

I am trying to let TOPA do its thang, but I really feel nothing out of the ordinary yet. Thanks to all these posts though, I am feeling a new hope and am going to try and sortof "slow it down" and listen for the subtlies within, if that makes any sense.

If nothing else, I am really hoping the appetitite suppressant kicks in b/c I gained weight on BAC and it won't let go no matter what I do it seems!! UGH - this week very light eating and drinking, heavy duty stress and job factor - weight loss ZERO!! Made me crazy. Something's gotta give!! I am seriously praying/pleading to God (and I am not a prayer person so this speaks volumes)daily to PLEASE make this work for me - so with all this plus the handfuls of vitamins I am choking down...I am not even afraid of the SEs anymore.

What I do notice in front of my audience I speak to is not a loss of word/words but rather that I repeat myself or if I do have a loss, I have been doing this so long, I quickly find a substitute phrase or something. It hasn't been a problem, but I am noticing a teensy change in the snap factor, if that makes sense. Hasn't really been a problem, just thought - oh ok - this is no big deal at all!! It's more of a pronunciation issue. I mispronounce words & correct myself. It's a little annoying but only to me, I think. I hope! LOL I don't have problem with that at all.

It's late - am thinking of upping to 100 mgs in a day or so. I want to get this show on the road. So glad we have so many posting here. I think it helps :-))

Comment

Hey everybody - sorry I haven't posted - I will tomorrow - promise - no excuses - just work and stuff - off to bed right now. Early shift tomorrow at work but wanted to say hi to all. This is hard - but it really does get easier! REALLY. Will catch up tomorrow - tired and am off to bed.

sun xx
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

houtx - my parents used to live in houston. i love it there. it's sad to say but i would be happier if only drinking one bottle of wine a day. sigh. i went over one about a year ago and never got back. so as far as the weight loss...i have read on these boards, and also on the internet in general, that the liver plays a HUGE role in weight loss. sometimes when our livers have been abused a bit, they won't release the pounds. i think hormones also play a huge factor in this (since my babies and miscarriage mine have been CRAZY!). RJ recommends the evening primrose oil but that has pretty big hormonal effects so I don't use it. Anyway, could you add a liver detoxification to your supp routine? i take Liv-52 (inexpensive at whole foods etc.) and gentian drops in water 3x per day. i've been on the mario lopez "extra lean" diet for 2 weeks and it's helping to slowly reduce the pounds (like...um...2.5 lbs in 2 weeks). sad that i run so much but still need to diet b/c the wine takes up so much... So week 2 for you on the Topa...it sounds like you are mostly SE free. I would bump up to the 100 when you hit the 3 wk mark. is that what the MWO book says? and are you still drinking? i would love to go AF first but don't know...

and thanks for checking in sun...i've read a lot of the back posts and know that you care so much...
        "Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them. Every day begin the task anew." -- St Francis de Sales

Comment

2RUN I can relate to a lot of what you are up against... I am a fitness instructor and up until 6 months ago owned my own Fitness centre. I sold it due to my problems with al. I came to the decision that my health was worth more than working 14 hours a day 6 days a week etc. etc. Long story short, apart from some sleepiness in the first week on topomax....I have noticed no difference in evergy levels and no strength or muscle weakness. Hope this helps. I also take the biotin...zinc and selenium to prevent the hair loss..although I am hoping that with the elimination of al from my life that my overall health will improve and that perhaps will not be an issue.
          I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

sapphire1 - good for you for taking such a huge step towards your health. that takes SO much courage. and thanks for your insight on the muscle weakness etc. if my GP will give me the script on monday, i'm going to start right away. i can't remember...did you say if you had any weight loss?
            anyone else have thoughts on the liver and weight loss? some of the recommended liver detoxifiers have estrogenic properties so for some women they can be counter productive...
            "Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them. Every day begin the task anew." -- St Francis de Sales

Comment

I've gained so much weight during the past years due to my alcohol consumption...

I was a ballet dancer (not professional) for my whole life until last year when I had to leave my training because of the horrible weight gain. I loved ballet. :sigh:
              And this is maybe the least of the terrible things alcohol has done to my life.

About SE, one of the most annoying SE I've noticed is that any loud sound irks the hell out of me. :wow:

Comment

It's so amazing the spectrum of problem drinkers...ballet dancers, runners, mothers, fitness instructors. So many of the stereotypes out there just aren't true...

Comment

2Run -
                  I buy the big bottles of wine and drink about 1/2 of one (at least - sometimes 3/4) in a night. On weekends, the whole thing. Isn't that about the equivalent of 1- 2 bottles?? Anyway - I drink too damn much!! Sometimes I want a glass (or more) of red, sometimes I end the night w/ a shot of Crown, sometimes I start the night with the perfect martini...depends. I rarely get drunk but I sure would like to get over the fondness for getting "buzzed"!!

Today I took 50 mgs late morning and 50 mgs late aftn. I can tell the difference in my appetite this evening. Yay! Not really feeling like eating. I ,too, am amazed at how many functioning alcoholics are out there among us...but we are still in the minority. Not feeling any SEs at all & hope all continues to go well.

Comment

2Run;945237 wrote: sapphire1 - good for you for taking such a huge step towards your health. that takes SO much courage. and thanks for your insight on the muscle weakness etc. if my GP will give me the script on monday, i'm going to start right away. i can't remember...did you say if you had any weight loss?
                    anyone else have thoughts on the liver and weight loss? some of the recommended liver detoxifiers have estrogenic properties so for some women they can be counter productive...
                    2Run As far as weight loss is concerned, I havent noticed any yet, but that has been put on hold because I have had a serious chest cold (mytwo sons as well) so we have been confined at home for two weeks) but..I have lost my appetite...and I have a huge appetite..always have had and that was one of the reasons that I become such a fitness fanatic!!! I think this med will help me to stay on track with my diet and not derail it with carbs which I tend to do.. I have to remind myself to eat....and when I have my meals, I find that I am satisfied with much less..so I am am sure that I will lose the extra weight that I have put on with all the drinking. As for living cleansing...I cant be certain but milk thistle; dandelion tea; green tea; fresh vegetable juices; cayenne pepper; all of the sulphur veges such as cabbage, broccoli, onions, brussel sprouts etc. and Doctor Sandra Cabots Liva Tone is what I take....I tend to take a long term view of this and will probably stay on this regime for years rather than do a quick detox....I dont think that you can detox years of abuse quickly.......
                    I am a part of the family of humanity. Not one person on this earth is a stranger to me. Rev. Ted Noffs

Comment

About SE, one of the most annoying SE I've noticed is that any loud sound irks the hell out of me. :wow:
                      Hi Airam, Are you AF or trying to taper.....if you are recently AF of drinking less than before, the sensitivity to sound might be due to your nervous system readjusting to less alcohol in it. Just a thought. I remember when I have hangovers that everything seemed much louder and my nerves were jangled

Comment

Another thought on the liver and weight loss guys....if the liver is functioning below par...and chances are it is after years of abuse...it will take some time to heal.....it may be fatty...if so....it will have to cleanse itself first before it can burn up adipose fat. Has anybody read Dr. Sandra Cabots - Living Cleansing Diet? She is an Aussie Doctor. Fantastic Book....YOu can read up on it online...I recommend it to you all...it will help us to restore our health on our way to a new and improved us

Comment

INstead of evening primrose oil, you could try fish oil or flaxseed oil... any of the EPO's would be good because they reduce the inflammation to the liver and other organs and are good for the cardiovascular system. Lecithin is also a great liver detoxifier and fat emulsifier. EPO'S are also well known for their mood enhancing properties...so if you have a tendency to anxiety/depression which is common in addiction...are a good investment. I take flaxseed oil capsules daily.....they also seem to reduce knee pain and osteo pain generally.

Comment

Hi everybody - can't believe it is so long since I have posted - well so much for thinking the Topa was kicking in - I have just poured my 4th (and last)Guinness of the evening. Poop!!!

Sapphire - I think you are awesome! that is amazing how well you are doing. I am totally green!!! Airam - I knew the Topa had kicked in 'cos I got a different feeling when I went to drink - there is just a different feeling - you really don't WANT to drink - I mean, the mind still wants to, but the body doesn't. You can still pour the drink, and start drinking it, but get half way through it and think "I really don't want this". It is the oddest feeling. The first time it happened to me I was cross because I DID want it - but my body didn't!! It just takes a little time and I am still ever hopeful. It is taking way longer than I had thought this time. Last time I kept thinking it would never happen. this time I thought it was happening - for a couple of days - then the feelings went away - now I am hoping they come back BIG time.

2run - why do you think you would have muscle soreness 'cos of Topa or have I misunderstood. Oh - my frenemy (never heard that word before this thread and love it) is Guinness by the way!! Also - go up in the Topa via the titration schedule - I found that it really helped with the SE - not that I got any - maybe 'cos I did go up via the schedule. Or maybe I was lucky - I am not sure. I lost about umm, not sure - maybe 15 - 20 lbs when I first started taking it? And I didn't really want to lose weight - but you just sort of lose your appetite!

Techie - how much are you on now and how long have you been on it and have you ever thought about coming off it? Just curious after my disastrous mistake?

Houtx - 2 weeks is early days yet - and I think you are handling the word thing really well - sounds about what I do!! Can I ask how old you are (PM me if you want LOL). You sound as if you really have a grip on the whole thing though.

2Run - as far as the liver detoxifiers - and the estrogenic properties - I agree with you - I am 3 1/2 years out from breast cancer and so can't do them - I did have my Doc do a whole slew of liver tests and mine is mine - whew thank goodness!

Houtx - I so agree with you - I never get drunk - but love that buzzed feeling!! Shame on me!! I so love that we can all be honest with each other. I think that is why I was so cross when the Topa kicked in and I didn't want to drink - I still wanted that buzzed feeling but my body definitely didn't want me to drink!! So I didn't!! LOL (drink that is!)

Anyway, I think I am caught up - Sapphire - I had to laugh when I saw about you saying that loud noise annoys you now - I have always hated loud noise - didn't notice any difference with the Topa but it is always something I have disliked. I never have the TV or radio or music on at home when I am alone. Just silence and love it!! Anyway everyone - I think we have a neat thread going here.

Airam - I forget to ask how you are doing which is dreadful seeing as you started this thread!! How are you doing? How are you feeling? Don't worry iof you are still drinking. I know I probably shouldn't say that - but I still am and I am up to 300mg a day now - PLEASE kick in soon TOPA!!!!!!!! Pray for me all of you!!!!!

Hugs to all of you - thanks for being here for us all.

Sun !!
                            How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Airam,

You won't be free until you release yourself! I know that sounds simple and mundane, but you maybe have other issues..to deal with first...all I'm saying... God love you and go in peace... oh I'm not even religious...

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

individualnz;944012 wrote: Thats bloody awesome SD, Im so happy for you. I just upped to 50 again today. Can feel the blood pressure problem creeping up again funnily enough, but Im gonna hang tight, keep calm and perservere with it, its gotta be better than what Im currently doing to myself.

For me Houtx, Topa seemed to work initially by making me want to drink lesser amounts than I normally would, and not feel the strong desire to binge as strongly once I get started. I never made it to the required dosing (according to Roberta, secondary to some narly side effects) but Im gonna try again now tho and jump back on board with these guys and give it another shot before I end up killing myself or someone else with my out of control habits.

I will take you up on the "come to" Sunny!!! Thanks sunny your a hunny!

regards Indy
                                Indi! how are you doing - please watch the blood pressure!! It is all very well saying Hang tight, keep watch and persevere with it - but HBP isn't something one can persevere with. So do you have a way to take it at home - I think you told me - or not (Topa brain?).
                                But please keep an eye on it won't you? I wish the darned Topa would kick in for me. I like my Guinness too much for me to stop voluntarily. SOON!!!!

hugs to you,

Sun xx

Comment

Working...
                                X