New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New here and starting Topa and with a question

Hey Sunshine..How are you? I know its been a long time but I lurk a little and wanted to say hi. I am trying Nal again and am feeling some success on it and am hoping this is it for me.. I stayed away for a long time because I was struggling with negative feedback from a certain poster. You were so dang good to me.. thank you.

Comment

Hey there bk - lovely to hear from you. Please feel free to PM me re the nal - it is good to have someone to bounce things off of. It was so good the way it worked for me. I am doing really well these days thanks. I know that you can do this!!!

Hugs to you, Sun x
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Sunshine, I’ve been reading through this (23 days AFwith the help of Topa) and am wondering how long to stay on the Topa. Any advice? I went through the normal beginning SE (tingling hands, brain fog) but they’ve mainly passed and I’m at 100 mg daily now. Little to no cravings. I’ll continue to trend up as needed but how long should I plan to keep taking it-Indefinitely?

Comment

Originally posted by Rknrobin13 View Post
          Sunshine, I’ve been reading through this (23 days AFwith the help of Topa) and am wondering how long to stay on the Topa. Any advice? I went through the normal beginning SE (tingling hands, brain fog) but they’ve mainly passed and I’m at 100 mg daily now. Little to no cravings. I’ll continue to trend up as needed but how long should I plan to keep taking it-Indefinitely?
          Hi there. I have no idea if you will actually get this because it is six months since you posted. I stopped taking the Topamax because of side-effects. I started taking naltrexone one hour before I had a drink. It took a while but it’s been absolutely brilliant. I just do not crave or want any alcohol!
          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Hi, I'm new here sort of (have perused in the past and made some posts, different username though). I've been trying to go through this thread for the info I'm looking for but with 700 posts it's a little difficult.

Basically, I'm a long time (close to 10 years) ~ 8 drinks nightly drinker, and over time my brain has become super adapted and hypersensitized to alcohol to a terrifying degree. Just drinking a bit more than usual will bring on withdrawal symptoms the following week; trying to cut down by miniscule amounts (e.g. 0.2 ounces liquor per week) will bring on quite noticeable withdrawal symptoms. I need to quit drinking but I'm terrified of detox all at once (even with medication).

So.. what I'm wondering is how effective topirimate is at helping with withdrawal symptoms? What I'd like to do is taper down off alcohol in a reasonable timeframe (impossible for me to do without pharmacolgical help). Has anyone had experience using topa to attenuate withdrawal symptoms while tapering? And how well did it work? Thanks
            Last edited by Mulburry; August 19, 2021, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Hi there. It is many years since I took Topa so I’m really not sure if I can help. I think the best thing for you to do would just be to see if you can get some and take it. You do have to titrate up with it, starting on a low dose. I eventually quit drinking with naltrexone. I have found it quite amazing and although it took a good year did eventually work for me and I do not crave alcohol now at all. I’m sorry I can’t be of any more help. Hopefully someone else my chip in and give you more answers then I can. I wish you all the best. It’s not easy however you end up doing it.

Comment

Thanks for the response, appreciate it. Ya I was thinking that titrating the dose up might work well with trying to reduce my alcohol dose at the same time (like basically slowly switch over from one to the other).

Comment

Working...
                X