Peony in Love ~ Lisa See

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peony in Love ~ Lisa See

I had this book sitting on my bookshelf for 2 years and finally decided to read it this week. What a delightfully rich, multi-themed love story! Set in the mid-17th century China, Peony in Love is a story of lovesick maidens in a culture that forced young girls into foot binding and arranged marriages and who were destined to be obedient to their husbands, respectful to their mother-in-laws and at the same time, they were expected to produce male offspring. It was very sad for me to learn that a woman?s value in the market was less than the value of salt. This was my first glimpse into the Chinese culture and I was fascinated by their traditions and rituals such as the annual honoring of ancestors, the practice of ghost marriages, and the festival of hungry ghosts. I found Peony?s character to be so endearing throughout all of the hardships she endured in her desire for true love and her determination to be able to enjoy a satisfying afterlife. This really is a beautiful story that captures the power of the human spirit despite such repressive surroundings and circumstances. Peony in Love will stay on my bookshelf for me to pick up again and re-read many of my favorite passages.
    John
    AF since 7/13/2010

Peony in Love ~ Lisa See

Thanks Paguy!
    It's now on my list....
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Peony in Love ~ Lisa See

sounds brilliant, romantic and sad

Comment

Working...
      X