Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Substituting one addiction for another

Addictive personality

Thanks for the post....I have definitely suffered from the concept.
    First it was food, then added cigarettes, quit nicotine 13 yrs ago but stepped up AL.
    Last time I battled AL I started betting on horses - recognised the buzz/ compulsion so stopped instantly.
    Am now very aware of this tendency to transfer. I'm hoping to channel myself towards work and exercise ( wife will work very hard to prevent a sex addiction...)
    Chop
    I gave myself a wonderful present on Christmas Day 2013 - a future free from the guilt and pain that alcohol causes....

Comment

Substituting one addiction for another

Bump
      Excellent post!

Comment

Bump

I just found this thread again. I've been paying attention to substituting alcohol addiction. I have developed an unhealthy relationship to Golden Double Stuft Oreo cookies. I'm not kidding - so I'm trying to turn this into something healthy. But, it is a challenge.
        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Found the thread you bumped Nora, a good one! It was ice cream for me, but Bubba has substituted it with frozen yogurt in all my favorite flavours. Know what, I can't tell the difference!
          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

I still fighting my cakes ,ice-cream chocolate addiction, Just when I think I have it under control, it jumps up and graps me, Reminds of something else :eek-new:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Sweets, exercise and outdoors activities for me, not necessarily in that order
              First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

Re: Substituting one addiction for another

Thought I bump this.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

what about non alcoholic beer, is that any good?

Comment

Only you can answer that Kev.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Yes, from my practice, I know it's a good method. However, it requires perseverance and perseverance to regularly perform a new action, not to give up until there is a specific need for a new action.

Comment

Working...
                      X