What level are you at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What level are you at?

I thought it might be kind of fun to see where we all are. Now that I brought it up, I don't know how to answer the question!

I am kind of on sabatical since September when I thought I broke my foot. Ten years ago, I lost 45 pounds. I started by lifting weights three times a week and doing cardio five times a week for 45 minutes to an hour. Later on, I incorportate food into the whole mess by joining Weight Watchers and becoming a lifetime member.

My cardio is either stationary bike, elliptical, or an aerobics tape. It used to be an actual aerobics class until my gym eliminated the classroom. I like the tape better anyway - I can do it anytime. I do both step and floor aerobics and alternate. This bothers my foot sometimes, but I really enjoy it, so I try to make do.

My weight training was broken down into "body parts", one day lower body, one day back and bicepts, one day chest and tricepts, working abs in each day. I hate abs, by the way.

Over the last month, I've been working my way back up into cardio and a little weight training. I am hoping by the beginning of the year to be back to my regular routine.

Where's everyone else?

What level are you at?

Through late teens and early 20's i had a set routine...I did weights in my bedroom every night for 45 mins.....I seemed to reach a peek...My body wasnt changing anymore and i couldnt put weight on...So i stopped the weights and tried to put a bit of weight on...BIG mistake...I never got back in the routine...and am now 15 stone...

I'd like to get back in my old routine but latley my get up and go has got up and gone..
    I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
    One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

What level are you at?

Hi Barb- Hi everyone

So glad this has sparked so much interest. I started about a month ago - 10/28 to be exact. I used to run years ago but gave that up pretty much and have done very little since then. I got an evaluation - body fat and measurments and some strength tests done and then started working out with a trainer twice a week. I have been working out on my own another 2-3 times a week. The trainer is doing regular strenght training with me - weights and also situps- crunches etc.
      I have lost exactly 2 lbs since I started. I'm looking forward to 11/28 to see if I have made any progress.
      I know that I have very weak upper body strength!

That's about it. I managed to do 21 min on the eliptical this morning!! I've worked my way up from 7 minutes when I first started. I find it is pretty challenging though. Nice change up from the reclined bike and the treadmill.

Barb- Big congrats on losing 45 lbs. That is quite an accomplishment. I have heard that Weight Watchers is about the best for maintaining the weight loss. Hope the foot continues to get better.

Wish I could be 2 inches taller!! Then I wouldn't have to lose ANy weight:H As it is I want to lose about 10lbs.

All for now...
      Lisa

Comment

What level are you at?

Lisa

Don't let that scale fool you!! You know that what you weigh has nothing to do with your body composition. Fat is much less dense than muscle so if you lose a pound of muscle but gain a pound of fat (from not working out eating correctly i.e getting enough lean protein) you will weigh the same but your body will be larger.

On the same token, if you lose a pound of fat but put on a pound of muscle, that scale woudn't have budged a bit, but you will be trimmer and have a faster metablolism.

Throw that scale out the window and get some calipers... but then you probably already know all this!

Just climbing down off my soapbox now......ops:
        Tomorrow I get to wake up and not feel guilty. :yay:

Comment

What level are you at?

That's my ticket to fame and fortune Lisa - to stop trying to people skinnier - just taller! If I could corner the market on it I could make a fortune.

I like to tell people that I didn't really lose 45 pounds - I lost five pounds nine times. Much easier thinking about it that way.

I too have a weaker upper body but very strong legs. In my day, I could leg press in the mid to high 200s. Arm curls were never more than 15 - 20, really straining. Oh well - good thing I don't need to beat anyone up!

Mack, I think your get up and go got up and walked back in.

Barb

Comment

What level are you at?

LT, we were posting at the same time. Good to see you here - you were one of the ones who got me thinking about all of this all over again. Very good point about muscle and fat. Muscle makes your body a more efficient "machine" also. It burns morn calories at rest than fat.

Think of fat like a lazy uncle who lives with you and never pays rent and just kind of hangs there. Muscle is the young, buff nephew who mows the lawn, trims the hedges, pays the bills, and generally gets things done.

Comment

What level are you at?

LtLM Oh, please stay on the soapbox!! That is great reinforcement. I'm going to print that out on my color printer when I get home....

Barb - I love the idea of sayin lost 5 pounds 9 times. I'm trying to keep saying I need to lose 10 pounds even after I have lost 3-5. Since I really need to lose 15-20

I like to think about that hard working lean muscle burning up fat too. Like investing money that makes money for you. You know? Build up some muscle and it burns off the fat for you. I love that it works that way.
              Cmon Macks...dust off those weights and tell us about your workout and your sore muscles.

Lisa

Comment

What level are you at?

where I'm at...

Congrats to everyone who has lost some weight/toned up already!
                Funny, Lt about the fat vs. muscle issue. So true! There's some amazing statistic about how many more calories you burn just at rest when your body composition gains each pound of muscle. (don't know what the stat is... but it's incredible!).

So here's where I'm AT:
                I started in Feb to try to cut back on the drinking and get in shape and stop being a fata** wino who was endangering her marriage and life. (is that ALL??:H ) I took up the running at a suggestion from my sister in law, even though I thought she was nuts and I could never do it.
                1.5 miles, 2, 3 on the treadmill! 4 one day, then 5! 6.5miles on a group run, and so on. I've run 2 half marathons in the last 2 months (13.1 miles each) and 1 5K. I'm about 5'4", have gone from over 143# to this morning on the scale: 131.0. And I HAVE to believe that a lot of it is muscle, so it's probably not an accurate reflection of how much blubber is gone.
                I still have a small tummy that I'd like to lose. I am also going to sign up for a FULL marathon for May. 26.2 miles. Running has been a HUGE part of my success with the program here and the drinking cut back. I've done a couple binges the last couple wks because of stupid things like being diagnosed with shin splints and being unable to run, crappy work stuff, being sick. Whatever excuse. There is NO excuse for drinking when I have running planned the next day. That's part of the beauty of it. The other part--the sense of accomplishment after completing one of those long runs, is immesurable. What an incredible high! The pants I'm wearing today are from last year and HUGE on me. Going in the Goodwill bag after I wash them. Bummer cuz they are cool pants (ivory veloury jeans), but good because I'm not that size anymore. I'll treat myself to some new ones.

SO, I'd still like to lose another few pounds. Get to 125# or so. Then I'd be a hot mamma and faster, too! I've been cross training on the elliptical and bike a couple times a wk, and lifting weights. I usually go for about 30-45 minutes cardio and do the cross training or hilly course on the machine for some added difficulty. I hate this limbo land crap stuff with the running though. It makes me feel like I'm losing all my mileage...Dr. appt next Friday. We'll see what he has to say. I'm trying to behave in the meantime with the drinking, and not doing a stellar job. I cannot, MUST NOT do too much backsliding. Hubby has already noticed my slippage and has brought it to my attention. greeeaaaat. I don't need that. I do enough self-criticism without his input.

Do you guys have your Ipods or MP3 players downloaded with great music that motivates you? It's a HUGE help, I find. I might just start a thread for our fave work out songs. I'll do it now!

Comment

What level are you at?

Wow becca...i invy you. i joined a run group, hoping to run a half marathon here in austin by the mid of feb...but because i have been so distracted with my drinking, i stopped doing the runs during the week, and totally fell behind my sat run group. so far, in fact, that i have completely given up. i am also 5'3" and just got off of active duty military 6mo ago, and i have gained almost 25lbs. mostly due to drinking i am sure. now i don't have insurance, and i am working on getting topa (which i ordered a month ago) since you have already ran 2 half marathons, do you think i have a chance to catch back up to meet my goal, or would that be risking an injury? i can do 2-3mi now, even with my weight, and any other cardio for 45min-1hr with little problem. just wondering your opinion!:thanks:

Comment

What level are you at?

Hey Lily! I'm no expert, but here's what I've learned...
                    You have about 3 months to train still, right? I'd suggest looking into a half marathon training schedule and sticking to it. It does help with cutting back on the drinking doesn't it? You can find schedules online. Just search "half marathon training". Can you rejoin your group? I'm hoping to join a group as well once I'm able to get back out there.
                    As far as the injury goes, ramp up your schedule gradually, and STRETCH before and after your runs. I was stretching, but missing my deep calf muscle. You have to bend your knee and lean into it to get the stretch. They also say that running on a softer surface rather than road running is a bit easier on the joints. We have really nice Metroparks around here and all have measured out trails to follow. Mostly pressed dirt and gravel.
                    Good luck!

Comment

What level are you at?

Hi, wwbarb, this was a great idea for a thread.ltlLM, I love the picture!!! And Becca, I thought I was an over-achiever. I have nothing on you!!!

I started exercising in college about 29 years ago. I started with the original Jane Fonda tape. I have always had difficulty with running because I was a professional dancer when I was young; it ruined my knees and I have had arthritis in my knees since I was 17. Later, my hips joined in on the action. Fortunately, a few years ago they came out with Glucosamine, which works for some, but not all. Well, it worked for me and I am medicine free, have no problems UNLESS I try to run. My knees still are not aligned right and it wears away the cartiledge under the knee-cap. In the meantime, I had become really good friends with our family doctor, and he, his wife, and I would walk daily when we used to live near each other. I have been walking ever since, albeit with a brief decline when my business collapsed several years ago (I went from 105 to 180 in six months! -- it took me two years to lose it).

I now do the Jane Fonda occasionally when I'm really warmed up. But I walk everyday, usually twice a day approximately two miles each time. I dance every day anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. And I agree with you Becca, the MP3 player is fabulous!!! Until last week, I used a CD player or a tape player when I walked. But my husband surprised me with an MP3 player last week and it is great! I can download according to my mood. I also walk with arm and leg weights sometimes, but always work out with weights and music at least two-three times a week. I am now 115 (I gained 15 lbs when I caught pneumonia this year-have already lost five). I am trying to get back to 105. I am 5 ft., 2 inches.

I love exercise. I find if I get in the mood to drink and I go for a walk, I drink considerably less, sometimes none at all.

Good luck to everyone on their exercise goals.

MM
                      Saving the day one minute at a time!

Comment

Working...
                      X