Doctors that prescribe baclofen for addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBarE, you could consider SMART. It is not 12-step, but it is based on rational emotive behavior therapy based on Ellis's work. It's not at all invasive (no looking at the "roots" of anything). Would he consider MWO as a "program"?

Anyway, sorry to hear that you have to jump hoops but kudos for winning the doc over.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

TracyA;1072741 wrote: PBarE, you could consider SMART. It is not 12-step, but it is based on rational emotive behavior therapy based on Ellis's work. It's not at all invasive (no looking at the "roots" of anything). Would he consider MWO as a "program"?.
      That is a great idea, Trace! I will give it a shot. Actually, there is a lot about the 12 step programs that I find attractive. And even when they are dysfunctional, they are entertaining.
      Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
      - Jacob August Riis

Comment

Humbly suggest that we keep cross-talk to a minimum and stick with the list of docs. but perhaps that's a reflection of my own angst???
        will delete this later today...

Comment

Baclofen for Alcoholism, Doctor in Arizona!

:new:

Ok, so as I was reading the Ameisen book a couple weeks ago and got so excited so I sent a website link to my Psychiatrist with all the info on Baclofen for Alcoholism. I asked that he read it so we could talk about it at my next appt which was today and he is ON BOARD and wrote me an Rx. I live in Southeastern Arizona. I am starting pretty low at 20mg per day, divided as 5mg/AM, 5mg/NOON, and 10mg at bedtime. I am cautiously optimistic and I'm thrilled to have found this site.

Comment

Jill, WELCOME! Please join the other threads - or start one of your own so people can keep tabs with you.

Yes, Ne, I'll delete my posts later too.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Hi Jill, that's brilliant. Most people have to struggle to get a prescription, so you've slipped in the easy way!

No need to be cautious in your optimism, this stuff really works! I'm going to humbly suggest that you start a thread, so we can keep this one free of non-doctor information, and also so that we can follow your progress a little easier. It helps to have a place to go to as well to share your thoughts.

Best of luck Jill, and welcome.

Ne, panic not, I too will delete this once the time has passed. I suggest as well, since you have the opening post in the thread, that you cut and paste the list into that opening post, so that people don't have to wade through the thread to find it... I'll do the work, you can claim the glory, how does that sound?

Comment

So, to summarise, we have doctors in:

Chicago (Ne)
                Scotland (Dr Chick)
                Texas (PbarE)
                Zimbabwe (bleep)
                California (Lo0p)
                Atlanta (Cinders)
                Online - good for 95% of the world
                Ireland (Longshot)
                Oklahoma (RedThread12)
                Arizona (JustJill)

The list is growing...

Here's the list you need to paste into the opening thread Ne.

Comment

I just talked to a buddy of mine in Dallas. He found a doctor there that will follow the high dose baclofen protocol. I have the name, and you can PM me for the info.

So in Texas, there is a doc in Austin and one in Dallas.
                  Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
                  - Jacob August Riis

Comment

Thanks PbarE, will amend the list.

Comment

So, to summarise, we have doctors in:

Chicago (Ne)
                      Scotland (Dr Chick)
                      Texas (PbarE) (Austin and Dallas)
                      Zimbabwe (bleep)
                      California (Lo0p)
                      Atlanta (Cinders)
                      Ireland (Longshot)
                      Oklahoma (RedThread12)
                      Arizona (JustJill)

Comment

Does Dr Chick actually prescribe to anyone?

The unexamined life is not worth living

Comment

Clinic in Western Australia

There is a clinic here in Perth for addicts and the head doctor has been quite groundbreaking in his treatments. I did read on the General Thread that one of our members was prescribed Baclofen on her first visit..........and a high dosage.

I am not sure for the rest of Oz but maybe this clinic could be a referral for GP's here in Oz who want to find out more re his procedures with Bac.............i.e. ozzies could mention him to reluctant GP's should they be wanting to go down this path.

Please pm me if you need further details.

Missy

Comment

bleep;1082755 wrote: So, to summarise, we have doctors in:

Chicago (Ne)
                            Scotland (Dr Chick)
                            Texas (PbarE) (Austin and Dallas)
                            Zimbabwe (bleep)
                            California (Lo0p)
                            Atlanta (Cinders)
                            Ireland (Longshot)
                            Oklahoma (RedThread12)
                            Arizona (JustJill)
                            Perth (missyabby1)
                            Thanks Missy.

Comment

Otter;1086802 wrote: When they started using Baclofen to treat alcoholism in France doctors became upset that they were being overrun with patients requesting prescriptions.

I think doctors who prescribe should be making this service known so here goes.

Dr. Susan Cooper of Fenwick Road Surgery, Giffnock, Glasgow, prescribes Baclofen above 100 mg per day for alcoholism. The Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley treats alcoholism with Baclofen as does Dykebar Hospital in Paisley. If you live in those areas you can get treatment on the NHS through a referral by your GP.

Just don't tell anyone I said so.
                              I'll delete it if you want to repost it here, Otter!
                              xo

Comment

There is a doctor in New Zealand, town yet to be named (!) that is just beginning to prescribe baclofen. He wants prospective patients to know that he only has two case studies. (Two more than many docs!!)
                                If anyone is in the area of this soon-to-be-named town they can send me a private message!

Yay!

Comment

Working...
                                X