No announcement yet.

Doctors that prescribe baclofen for addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! I'm a little nervous about approaching doctors about it. I'm hoping doctors around here are more open to it, since there are major medical schools here. The last time I tried to approach doctors about any kind of medication (a few years ago, in San Francisco) they were kind of assholes about it, though... >_< I actually have an appointment tomorrow with someone.

Comment

Hi all,

I am rereading this thread...I poste 3 years ago looking for a Dr who perscribs Bac in MN. It makes me sad. I still have no answers. Anyone in MN with a good Dr who can help? I approached my Dr three years ago and he said no. I ordered from all day chemist back then too...I would just feel better doing this with a Dr's supervision. Minnesota Bac Dr....Anyone....Buelleor?...Frye?
      We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
      ~Albert Einstein quote

Comment

Dr. Mark Willenbring (former Director of the Division of Treatment and Recovery Research of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism at the National Institutes of Health) currently runs an addiction clinic in St. Paul. I spoke to him a couple of years ago and he does prescribe baclofen, though maybe not as a first line treatment.

You can reach him at:

Alltyr.com
        S332 Minnesota Street
        Suite W1260
        St. Paul, MN 55101
        Email: info@alltyr.com
        Phone: +1 651.348.7611
        Fax: +1 866.307.876

-tk

p.s.

From Gin in your genes? ? Scienceline :

Despite scientists’ growing understanding of the disease, and its attribution (at least in part) to genetic factors, some experts say that physicians still see alcoholism as a “self-induced disease.” This is something that prohibits them from prescribing drug therapy, preferring instead to recommend rehab, says Dr. Mark Willenbring, a Minnesota based physician who prescribes a drug called baclofen to treat alcoholism.

Baclofen is a muscle relaxant and is approved by the FDA but not specifically as a treatment for alcoholism. Baclofen has yielded success in suppressing addiction in animal studies, and there is currently a randomized, controlled trial with human participants in France.

However, a number of physicians in Europe and the U.S. prescribe it “off label,” i.e., not for the use specified by FDA.

“Most people who go through a specialty treatment for alcohol dependence are not even told of medication that will significantly reduce their relapse or, even worse, they are discouraged. That’s like going to the oncologist and not being given chemotherapy because the doctor doesn’t believe in it,” says Willenbring, who feels he has a moral obligation to inform his patients of both the medicinal and counseling therapies available.

Eliot Gardner, head of neuropsychopharmacology at the National Institutes of Health, awaits the results from studies such as the French trial but adds, “My hope is that before I die I will see addiction drugs such as baclofen more readily used, because it is a rotten disease. It causes so much strife.”

“The U.S. treatment [for alcoholism] is based on AA,” Willenbring adds. “We need to change the addiction treatment system to one of science, not ideology.” He likens modern-day treatment of alcohol addiction to that of depression 60 years ago.

“What’s going to be the Prozac moment for alcohol dependence?” he asks. His question isn’t rhetorical. He doesn’t know the answer, but he thinks one will emerge in the next 10 years or so, because the impetus is already there. “I think the patients, families and courts are extremely ready for something new. They don’t want to send someone to rehab again for the 14th time. I hope physicians will become more at ease prescribing medications.”
        TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

I was contacted by the people from the French forums this summer and asked for names of doctors in the UK who prescribe. I gave them Chick and Heydtmann. If anyone wants to send me details I can pass them on because they are putting together a prescribing network.
          BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Re: Doctors that prescribe baclofen for addiction

Bumping this thread because, although dated, it is very important. <3

Comment

Looking for a NYC doctor - the numbers here I've used seem to be dated. Any help?

Comment

Live in Dallas. looking for a doctor who will prescribe baclofen. Or does anyone have a trusted site that you can order from ?

Comment

Good question. Check on theendofmyaddiction.org there are some links to doctors.
                  "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi black cat, and welcome!

I am not aware of any doctors in Texas that prescribe baclofen. I just checked on theendofmyaddiction.org and didn't see Texas listed. However, I can recommend some online pharmacies. I have used the following (as have many others on this site) and they are reputable:

www.goldpharma.com - ships from Germany
                    https://www.riverpharmacy.ca/ - based in Canada, ships drugs from India. They cannot accept credit cards anymore (I'm told that US credit card companies caved under pressure from Big Pharma regarding Canadian drug companies), but they do accept e-checks.
                    https://www.alldaychemist.com/ - ships from India

I have also heard positive reviews about Inhouse Pharmacy https://www.inhousepharmacy.vu/ - they ship from Vanuatu.
                    Last edited by _serenity_; July 31, 2017, 10:08 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=2311]Black[/MENTION]cat almost every doc will prescribe up to 30mg if you complain of back spasms but that is not nearly the dose, unless you are lucky to hit the switch. For many its 4 or 5 times that quantity. Its more likely just to sedate you and mess with you.

Not sure how it works in the states with prescriptions. I have watched video of people filling multiple times a prescription. In Canada it is monitored quite highly, so we cannot duplicate filling prescriptions, but we do sell to americans which is pissing off big pharma like _serenity_ said. Not that our drugs are cheap here, but cross shipping like from india can work. I just don't trust it quite yet, so I stay with what Health Canada recommends. Main concerns are customs and how its shipped and second whether the product is real.

Listen to some other users and maybe look at the mentioned forum above which is more drug driven but way less active.
                      Last edited by empyr3al; July 31, 2017, 11:02 PM. Reason: typos
                      "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

I know of a Dr in Iowa that will prescribe.
                        Dr. Scott Easton
                        Des Moines, IA
                        iowapsychiatry.com

Possibly one in AZ. She probably would not have put me on if not for me telling her a Dr. in their office prescribed it before she left.
                        Diana Cox
                        Phoenix, AZ
                        strategeticmentalhealth.com
                        Last edited by haltme; November 17, 2017, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Hi there, I was wondering if you had any luck finding a doctor in LA? Id be so grateful for any help! Thanks

Comment

Hi! I was wondering if you had any luck with this?

Comment

Working...
                            X