What I really don't miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I really don't miss

Had to go back to read this one as, the cravings are kicking in. Just read a story about the former miss usa driving double over the limit and with a open champagne bottle. Scary
    Its Day 8 AF for me
    I sure dont miss the stupid things i would say or do
    The nasty feel the next day only thing that woudl cure it would be another drink.
    Good post when those cravings are calling.

Comment

What I really don't miss

Over the past few months, I've strung a few A/F days together and am a minor roll right now. I found great insight when reading your posts on what you DON'T miss about alcohol. I know that alcoholism is a progressive disease and won't miss the following symptoms that should be my wake up call:

I have:

- poured others wine into my own glass when cleaning up the empties
      - watched the wine bottle like a hawk in order to ensure I got more than my share
      - drank while waiting for company to arrive or for hubby to be ready to leave to go out
      - sat beside my adult son and the father of my beloved grandchild on the deck the 'morning after' and he almost retched at the wino smell of me (how humiliating)
      - talked on the phone to my daughter trying to coach her on a situation she was dealing with all the while trying to sound sober
      - waking up in the morning only to find the kitchen a mess from the night before
      - like the rest of you, waking up between 3 and 4 a.m. (you know the drill)
      - the disappointment I felt after each wasted evening
      - the broken promises I made out loud and to myself
      - doing nothing at all with a pile of important things to do sitting there neglected
      - procastination to the extreme
      - burning, bruising, tripping, falling, cutting, barfing, retching, etc.
      - being known as the Wino of the Family
      - weakly giving in when prodded even a bit by anyone on the days I had planned to be A/F

God, I hope I don't go back there, EVER!!

Felt good writing that down.
      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
      ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

What I really don't miss

I love this thread because I can relate to most of what is written. The AL beast isn?t too original is he? Similar things seem to happen to all of us.

As a reminder to myself, here is what I WON?T miss:

-Watching a TV show or movie and not remembering how it ended
        -Taking 2 hours to watch a 1 hour show because I have to get up with every beer to go outside to smoke
        -The dreaded 3am?abruptly waking up with such anxiety, depair and panic I feel like I?m going to crawl out of my skin
        -Crying, begging my HP to please, please help me
        -Having my daughter?s friends say ?Your mom was so funny the other night??and me thinking ?Huh, what did I do??
        -Waking up in the morning (IF I managed to go back to sleep after 3am) and scrambling to check my phone log
        -The horrible night sweats?sweating and freezing at the same time
        -Making horrible, dangerous decisions, such as drinking after too much beer
        -Calling in sick because I want to just hide under my covers and cry
        -Saying ?never again?, even though it will happen again
        -Letting my daughter go to her friend?s house ONLY if she can find a ride home because I know I?ll be too drunk to pick her up later
        -Sitting at work staring at the wall thinking ?just let me make it through the day?
        -Getting undressed at night and not remembering picking out my outfit earlier that morning
        -?Surviving? the day instead of actually living it
        -Living in a fog
        -Stopping at the liquor store and getting back into the car telling my daughter ?this is the last time??.and her saying ?Uh huh?
        -Mysterious aches, pains and bruises
        -Not remembering getting rid of the ?evidence? every night before bed, somehow I always managed to do this so I wouldn?t see traces of my debauchery
        -Nightly blackouts, daily hangovers
        -Doing shameful things that I don?t ever want to think about again

Sadly, the list could go on and on.

Thankfully, none of this needs to ever happen again.
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

What I really don't miss

K9Lover;1222534 wrote: I love this thread because I can relate to most of what is written. The AL beast isn?t too original is he? Similar things seem to happen to all of us.

As a reminder to myself, here is what I WON?T miss:

-Watching a TV show or movie and not remembering how it ended
          -Taking 2 hours to watch a 1 hour show because I have to get up with every beer to go outside to smoke
          -The dreaded 3am?abruptly waking up with such anxiety, depair and panic I feel like I?m going to crawl out of my skin
          -Crying, begging my HP to please, please help me
          -Having my daughter?s friends say ?Your mom was so funny the other night??and me thinking ?Huh, what did I do??
          -Waking up in the morning (IF I managed to go back to sleep after 3am) and scrambling to check my phone log
          -The horrible night sweats?sweating and freezing at the same time
          -Making horrible, dangerous decisions, such as drinking after too much beer
          -Calling in sick because I want to just hide under my covers and cry
          -Saying ?never again?, even though it will happen again
          -Letting my daughter go to her friend?s house ONLY if she can find a ride home because I know I?ll be too drunk to pick her up later
          -Sitting at work staring at the wall thinking ?just let me make it through the day?
          -Getting undressed at night and not remembering picking out my outfit earlier that morning
          -?Surviving? the day instead of actually living it
          -Living in a fog
          -Stopping at the liquor store and getting back into the car telling my daughter ?this is the last time??.and her saying ?Uh huh?
          -Mysterious aches, pains and bruises
          -Not remembering getting rid of the ?evidence? every night before bed, somehow I always managed to do this so I wouldn?t see traces of my debauchery
          -Nightly blackouts, daily hangovers
          -Doing shameful things that I don?t ever want to think about again

Sadly, the list could go on and on.

Thankfully, none of this needs to ever happen again.
          Guilty of all those, and some you didnt mention, but gotta admit, its kinda cool watchin a show again, and havin NO idea whats gonna happen..........LOLz :H
          Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

What I really don't miss

K9Lover;1222534 wrote: -Making horrible, dangerous decisions, such as drinking after too much beer
            Uhhh...make that DRIVING after too much beer!!

Comment

What I really don't miss

Being so hung over that I'd puke the yellow stomach ewies all morning and afternoon! Ouch, hurts to even think about those times! And the crazy dots I'd get around my eyes from puking so hard.... ugh!

Glad I'm sober!
              http://www.aahistory.com/days.html

Round 1 - AF/NF Sept 29, 2011-June 23, 2012

Round 2 - AF/NF October 6, 2012-December 2012

Round 3 - AF/NF January 5, 2014 - ????

Third times a charm!

Comment

What I really don't miss

I don't miss worrying about not having enough money/AL to get drunk/wasted.
                I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

What I really don't miss

K9, wow, your list could be definitely added to mine. Although I do not have a child. PS, I think you are a wonderful mother
                  Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                  :h

Comment

What I really don't miss

BlondeAFAmbition;1224515 wrote: PS, I think you are a wonderful mother
                    Thanks BlondeAF!

The one thing in life I?m 100% happy with and proud of is my relationship with my daughter. She?s such a blessing. We have such a special relationship that it?s hard to describe. I?ve never tried to be her ?friend??she has those. I?m her mother and try to be her pillar of strength?and I can do this SOO much better (actually ONLY if I am) sober. I actually have to laugh a little because her friends will tell her that they ?fight? with their parents, and she?ll tell them ?Not me, I?m too scared? LOL I?ve always told her that we will NOT fight, as that implies we are on the same level. No. I am mother, she is child. Nothing irritates me more than going to the store and seeing parents pleading with their children to behave. Jeez, just lay down the law and be done with it. Ok I have very strong opinions on this and don?t mean to offend anyone! Sorry I got off on a tangent (and completely off subject of the thread). Hope everyone is well today!!

Comment

What I really don't miss

B.O. Guy

Some of you will know what I'm talking about. LOL :H

Comment

What I really don't miss

I wrote quite an extensive list on here back a few pages on Dec 7th, 2011. At the end of December, I tried to mod and then, of course, here I am back on week 1 of sobriety. But I'd like to add to the "What I won't miss" thread is that I won't miss feeling ashamed to come onto MWO if I have messed up. I won't miss feeling disconnected to members here who have become good friends, albeit if I only see them "online". I won't miss feeling like I am "missing" out on sharing their successes as well as being there to help out when the chips fall. I won't miss these things because I am here and sober.
                        Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                        :h

Comment

What I really don't miss

Sigh - I can relate to so many of these posts unfortunately!!

- For me - replacing my husbands "secret" (he doesn't know I found it) stash before he notices I drank it all.
                          - Hiding bottles in the trash under bags of other garbage

Pretty much all of the above posts apply to me as well. So sad. I need to read this thread often to remind myself all the reasons I HATE AL.

Comment

What I really don't miss

Hmm I am going to put down some things I won't miss

- not being able to answer the phone because it will give away I have been drinking too much

- wasting the day because I cannot physically get out of bed without vomiting, shaking and having the room move

- seeing my shock white face in the mirror and my eyes so bloodshot I look like I am old aged

- waking up to yet another day where I have to force myself out of bed even though it hurts everywhere

- not having breakfast because I can't face food

Things I already noticed are great -

- being able to drive WHENEVER I want, and not have to figure if I have too much alcohol in my system
                            (odd huh!)
                            :wings: "Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."

Comment

What I really don't miss

I don't miss using a plastic cup for wine and adding sports drinks or green tea to it to hide that it's wine.

I don't miss burning my hand getting something out of the oven or cutting my thumb cooking dinner.

I don't miss wondering if my daughter knew I was really drunk or "just tired."

I don't miss planning my life around when I could squeeze those drinks in.

I don't miss recently buying those crappy smaller boxes of wine (so I'd drink less) and then drink 2 of them!

I don't miss looking in the fridge at the missing bottle of wine wondering if I hid it deep enough in the garbage.

I dont miss shredding the grocery list into tiny pieces so my husband would see I bought more than one bottle.

I don't miss walking up in the middle of the night trying to retrace my evening and make false promises not do it again...only to do it again!
                              AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

What I really don't miss

I don't miss all the charges on my debit card: Speedy Liquor, Alex's Liqour, Corner Market Liquour, etc, etc...anyone looking at my bank account would see a definite problem!

One time I was at the liquor store and there was a lady in front of me that looked about 60 (she was probably 35) and she was buying an 18 pack of beer. I thought "That will be me in a year or two"....I was looking right at my future and I didn't like it one bit!

Comment

Working...
                                X