What I really don't miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I really don't miss

i don't miss having to ask other people where i put stuff - because i was so drunk i dont even know if i had it i the first place
    I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

What I really don't miss

I don't miss those phone calls asking me where I am in the morning having forgotten I was suppose to be somewhere.
      No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

What I really don't miss

I'm new here (relatively) but I like this thread.

I will NOT miss having airport bottles in the nightstand for when I wake up at 330.

I will NOT miss my girlfriend automatically driving me to any random location when she was around, knowing I could be over the limit at any time.

I will NOT miss pulling onto the shoulder to make a fake phone call when a cop is behind me, to give myself a reason to let him in front, not knowing if I'm over .08 or not because I feel nothing until at least .16

I will NOT miss wrestling with my poker buddies over a bottle of vodka they are trying to keep from me, especially considering they are not the best citizens themselves.

and lastly, I will NOT miss trying to estimate the amount of drinks that will keep the shakes at bay throughout major functions, without appearing drunk.

Comment

What I really don't miss

Hi everyone, Day 2 for me nearly done and thats not been done for awhile.

I will not miss waking up with a hangover, taking my Panadol and driving to work in peak hour trying to concentrate.

I will not miss wondering on my way home from work which bottle shop I was at last.

I will not miss my children saying "god mum you were pissed last night".

I will not miss running into walls to go to bed.

I will not miss not remembering the next day and smiling and pretending that I did.

I will not miss the drunken phone calls and the next day looking at the phone to see who i had rang.

I will not miss being online chatting to men and not remembering their name and definitely not the conversation, then not game to open the chat up to be totally embarrassed by what I said.

I think thats about it today, I am sure I will think of a thousand more.
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

What I really don't miss

I don't miss worrying about being too hungover for church/church noticing that I had a hangover.
            I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

What I really don't miss

I don't miss feeling sick
              I don't miss losing a day to recover
              I don't miss ridiculous arguments
              I don't miss being drunk
              I don't miss drinking
              Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

What I really don't miss

There are far too many things that suck about being a drunk for me to type out a bullet list. It would probably be somewhere around the length of "Atlas Shrugged".

Though, and I am just speaking of my own situation, it was not all doomsday and nightmares. There were some nights that I had an absolute blast (when I could remember them). None of us would do it if we did not, at least at some point, find the activity somewhat blissful.

However, just because something might be fun in the short term, it in no way counterbalances all the harm I was doing to my family, my coworkers, my (now ex) GF, and, most importantly, to myself, in the long term.

I have come to view my problem as one of self-centered greed, and by that I mean that I had become consumed only with my own temporary fix, at the expense of everyone else in my life that I had legitimate dealings with. By not being willing to deal with them unless I was inebriated, It was basically a de-facto declaration that they were inadequate in captivating my attention.

It's a horrible existence to lead when you look at things in that particular context, which I have come to rationalize in my short time off the sauce.
                In the immortal words of Socrates " I just drank what ? "

AF since August 18, 2013

Comment

What I really don't miss

I don't miss waking up and wondering how I got home, not knowing how much money I spent ,not knowing if I got to bed myself or whether my other half had found me out cold downstairs with all the lights on and door open (again). Don't miss driving to work over the limit and having to make excuses if anybody asked me for money because I didn't have any (am talking about a couple of pounds). Don't miss the smirks in the local shop when I'm back buying more wine, particularly on the third trip of the night. Definitely don't miss the dread of looking at the online bank or the photos friends used to put on Facebook.

Probably there were some good times but I can't really remember any now!
                  AF since 9 December 2012 :yay:

Comment

What I really don't miss

What I really don't miss.............

Was hitting rock bottom,
                    Having my placid, understanding DH really threatening to leave me as he had finally had enough,
                    Falling over and splitting my head open whilst drunk in public, (in the morning....oh the shame)
                    Having to be put in a taxi by a complete stranger to get home, whilst starting to black out,
                    Having one battered and bruised face and side,
                    24 hours later, AL seizure (terrifying), coming to with paramedics standing over me,
                    The week in Hospital on an AL medicated detox.......(boy am I grateful for that tho)

But I really DO miss is the fact that I can not drive for a year after the seizure, that sucks, but I am going to suck it up and accept it.

I really do not miss you AL, you are not my friend.
                    I can not alter the direction of the wind,

But I can change the direction of my sail.

AF since 01/05/2014

100 days 07/08/2014

Comment

What I really don't miss

I don't miss that feeling of total unworthiness.
                      I don't miss that feeling of life is just no longer worthy of living.

I DONT MISS the not knowing (or not being able) to recognize who I was -I could feel the "what I had become" and saw no way out.

But I will always be thankful for having had the experience -I do believe that my new life is much greater because of the hell of alcohol.

Comment

What I really don't miss

I'm glad this thread floated to the top... truly remarkable!

I do not miss the "Fog"... I used to blame it on stress, but now I realize that it was alcohol. When I was at work, aka functioning like a normal person, I would forget simple words. For example, I'd look right at someone and call them the wrong name... and then correct myself and think, "WTF?". During presentations for customers, being as professional as I thought I was, I would lose simple vocabulary and refer to common objects as "things"... in retrospect, it wasn't because I was under stress, it was because my brain was coated in alcohol.

I do not miss the excuses.

I do not miss the creative excuses I'd make to my children, because I knew I was too drunk to drive at night, yet they wanted me to drive. ("No Gas", "I've already changed into my pajamas", "My eyes are tired").
                        "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
                        so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
                        :hug:

Comment

What I really don't miss

This thread absolutely needs to be here every single day! i don't miss dry eyes,half-assed listening to hubs and kids,the tiredness,the money spent,the endless out of control feeling,the tingling strange feelings throughout my body,as been said waking at odd hours of the night,begging God to please just let me see another day and i will never drink again,do not miss anry of it!!
                          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

What I really don't miss

I don't miss the feeling of helplessness.
                            Feeling lost.
                            Feeling out of control.
                            Feeling depressed.
                            Ashamed.
                            The empty look in my eyes.
                            The isolation that became a lifestyle.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

What I really don't miss

Pauly - I agree that this thread needs to be up there everyday. Just so we can remind ourselves of the 'reality' of the way things are/were.
                              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

What I really don't miss

morning,

I came dangerously close to drinking last night after a huge row with DH. So I went back and re-read all of these posts, hell, the pain every one has gone through really makes me cry every time I read them. What we have been through / going through is heart breaking.

So thank you every one for sharing this really powerful post, because it slams home everything that is crappy and messed up about Al. It stopped the "will I wont I" voices dead. After reading the posts for the umpteenth time, I really struggled to think of what I did miss??

The buzz, hmmmm, very short lived till it becomes the blackout,
                                The anticipation and excitement of the first few sips, well that is soon replaced by guilt, especially the following morning wishing I could rewind and erase the night before,
                                The taste?? Now when I get a whiff of it, it smells sour. I had to walk through a bar the other evening and smell of stale booze was awful! I had never noticed it before....funny that!

I was really stumped as to what I genuinely missed. So a huge thank you MWO peeps, you really helped keep me sober last night.
                                The feeling of pride this morning is huge! ...................after typing the word pride & huge, I stopped and thought is that maybe a bit too smug??? Nope, I am proud of me for not drinking, and I don't praise my self enough.

I know I would really miss my 'normal' life
                                I can not alter the direction of the wind,

But I can change the direction of my sail.

AF since 01/05/2014

100 days 07/08/2014

Comment

Working...
                                X