Baclofen and Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miranda212
    But most challenging was the emergence of 'a self.' Once I was relieved of the pervasive anxiety, anxiety I was unaware of, it was as if my psyche rapidly matured.
    Miranda- something like this happened to me, too, though as an effect of an antidepressant (not baclofen). With the subconscious anxiety at bay, I was confronted with an initially confusing self-awareness of certain longstanding defense mechanisms. I could see for the first time that I was being driven by a lot of egocentric, selfish and grandiose motivations- and that my abuse of alcohol was just playing into the whole presentation. Having seen through to the reality of this, I was motivated to remove alcohol from the picture at least long enough to get a better grasp on my underlying personality and its quirks. And I do know they discuss a lot of this stuff in AA- I don't attend meetings but I do listen to speaker tapes at the gym quite often. But I think that for some of us, we could go to AA for decades without making the progress we would make if we could find the right medication (and could render ourselves free from alcohol long enough to let it work!). Maybe that means some of us are not "real alcoholics"- I don't know. Frankly I think I've earned my seat at any AA meeting and I wouldn't hesitate to take it, if I thought it would give me half the relief from anxiety/tension (or whatever it is that holds me back from fully participating in life), that an effective medication gives me (before it inevitably poops out).

Comment

Originally posted by miranda212
      distracted by anxiety
      This is so important to see. If a person persistently feels fearful, they can figure out pretty quickly that they suffer from anxiety. But if a person has this persistent underlying sense of distraction that causes him or her to miss out on living a full life-but suffers little if any outright fear-it is damn hard to put a label on it! What the hell is wrong with me? I'm not fearful, so I must not have an anxiety disorder. I'm not sad, so I must not be depressed. I make it to places on time and don't forget to show up, so I must not have ADD (besides, the ADD stimulants don't help and instead make things worse). So what in the hell is wrong with me, you can't help but think. Well, I like to drink because a couple of glasses of something makes it feel better. So maybe I'm an alcoholic then? Is that what's wrong with me? But I have no trouble stopping, either, so what's that all about? Ah, it's a mystery indeed! Miranda, I think your simple, concise description is so eye-opening: "distracted by anxiety"

Comment

My wife had something similar. Before she took baclofen she would drink a liter of vodka a day and her whole body would just "lock up" and she just could not get off the floor and play squash. This was a real impediment to her progressing towards getting on her national squash team and competing in the Olympics.

Anyway, she took baclofen and realized that the reason she was collapsing on the floor for hours at a time and waking up in a pool of her own vomit was the alcohol.

Unfortunately, the years of heavy drinking led her to miss qualifying for the Olympics.
        BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Re: Baclofen and Anxiety

Bumping, because this is a great thread.

Comment

Funny thing I started this thread eight years ago. I parsed through it this evening and it brought back many memories of those days when baclofen looked like it might be the real deal. Like most posters I've drifted away and life has taken over. Still I hope there is a real 'way out' and that folks who come to this thread might gain some hope from the positive experiences of others...
            With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Do you now think that Baclofen is not the real deal? Has it turned out to be a sham for you?

Comment

No. It was absolutely the real deal and has kept me happily sober for 10 years. I am incredibly grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassander View Post
                  Funny thing I started this thread eight years ago. I parsed through it this evening and it brought back many memories of those days when baclofen looked like it might be the real deal. Like most posters I've drifted away and life has taken over. Still I hope there is a real 'way out' and that folks who come to this thread might gain some hope from the positive experiences of others...
                  Does it now feel like it doesn't work?

Comment

I would not take it it was not originally not meant to treat alcoholism and as its new to this we don't the side effects years down the road. It could be just as bad for the liver as drinking. It my be addictive and what if it became unavailable how would you cope if the desire to drink became hard to resist and your crutch was not available? Alcohol is a highly addictive widely available drug so i don't see how taking one drug to get off another can help for the long term.

Comment

So are you not addicted to baclofen now? and what if it became unavailable or banned? how would you cope with desire to drink if the cravings became strong? Its fairly new for treating alcoholism bad for the liver and i would take it or any drug to get off the drink. Keep on eye on your health 10 years is a long time to be on something not to drink.

Comment

Baclofen is not addictive. I do not crave it, it does not produce a high, and I don't require higher doses over time. I actually have to remind myself to take it. I don't feel anything different after I take it. A couple of times I forgot that I had already taken it and took more. That made me so sick that I now have routines down to make sure it never happens again.

If I went off it, I would just taper down gradually. The fact that it produces withdrawal symptoms does not equate it with being addictive. I take an antidepressant for insomnia, and I recently went 3-4 days without it due to a traveling mistake. Ever been through antidepressant withdrawal? It is unbelievably brutal. But nobody says that antidepressants are addictive or a "crutch." Alcoholism is a disease and I treat that disease with baclofen. Also, baclofen is processed by the kidneys, not the liver. I get thorough blood work every 2 years and my liver and kidney values are consistently normal. If you don't want to take it, fine, but it's a lifesaving drug.
                        Last edited by _serenity_; October 2, 2020, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Also, this is a really beautiful thread. I really don't understand why people are using this thread, of all places, to post negative remarks about baclofen.

Comment

I was not being negitive just my opinion. I did come off anti dpresseants as my dr had me on years and they stopped working. The first 3 weeks were quite bad but managable as i weaned off. I felt grumpy and irritable and 2 days of bad dizzy spells but once that passed i was fine and doing great without them. 10 years is a long to be taking something to keep you off alcohol even antibuse is only given for no more than a year. and its true baclofen was and not i am not sure if its still used to treat epilepsy. And i am sue the effects must wear after a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Anjicia View Post
                              So are you not addicted to baclofen now? and what if it became unavailable or banned? how would you cope with desire to drink if the cravings became strong? Its fairly new for treating alcoholism bad for the liver and i would take it or any drug to get off the drink. Keep on eye on your health 10 years is a long time to be on something not to drink.
                              I am sorry but this is complete tosh.

Baclofen is not ever going to be "banned" as it is highly recognised medication for spasticity of the muscels in those suffering from Multiple Sclerosis. Science has shown it can affect the brain receptors to reduce the cravings that alcohol supresses. Baclofen has been prescribed by UK GP's to assist with these cravings. I should know, I am a recipient of such a script.

There is no evidence that Baclofen is "bad for the liver" and Baclofen is pissed out and does not rely on liver metabolism.

Indeed, one would expect a person with excessive alcohol issue to have a comorbid liver issue. Do you really think GP's would prescribe a known medication that is "bad for the liver" to MS suffers with already, complicated issues?

Can baclofen be used in patients with liver damage or cirrhosis? – Baclofen Treatment for Alcoholism.

Baclofen - LiverTox - NCBI Bookshelf

Baclofen is NOT addictive, I have used it. Yes, it has some challenging side effects and needs a titration and tapering plan but this would be the same with MS sufferers as well those using it for alcohol issues.

The idea is that when baclofen has got you to the state you want to be at, you wean and maintain where you are.

Originally posted by Anjicia View Post
                              I was not being negitive just my opinion. I did come off anti dpresseants as my dr had me on years and they stopped working. The first 3 weeks were quite bad but managable as i weaned off. I felt grumpy and irritable and 2 days of bad dizzy spells but once that passed i was fine and doing great without them. 10 years is a long to be taking something to keep you off alcohol even antibuse is only given for no more than a year. and its true baclofen was and not i am not sure if its still used to treat epilepsy. And i am sue the effects must wear after a few years.
                              You are basing your opinion of Baclofen on your experience with antidepressants? That is like comparing Boris Johnsons' Covid strategy with a fish's ability to tell the time.

Regards,

Bacman
                              Last edited by Baclofenman; October 5, 2020, 11:03 AM.
                              I am not a Doctor - I am an alcoholic.
                              Thoughts expressed here are my own, often poorly put together and littered with atrocious grammar and spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by lwjm18 View Post
                                Do you now think that Baclofen is not the real deal? Has it turned out to be a sham for you?
                                Baclofen was the real deal.
                                I used Baclofen for almost two years. It got me off the booze from 2016 and although I no longer take it, it trained my mind not to want alcohol and this has not changed since I came off it in 2018.
                                This is fact, not conjecture or estimates from those who have never taken it. It not an easy journey but if you can last it, train yourself and use self control it is a wonder medication.
                                Personally I know of many users who have got themselves into a content position, be it abstinence or moderation.

Regards,

Bacman
                                I am not a Doctor - I am an alcoholic.
                                Thoughts expressed here are my own, often poorly put together and littered with atrocious grammar and spelling.

Comment

Working...
                                X