Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

friday december 29

Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind me starting this - have just joined this site and this is my first day of abstinance.

As I am hungover from yesterday this will be an easy day so let's see how I go with the rest of the week and can I ask for some advice? New years eve is going to be difficult as I am having dinner with hubby and 6 other friends at a restaurant - all will be drinking. I don't want to make a big deal about not drinking and there will be peer pressure to join in - any advice?

Thanks, Louie

friday december 29

HI Louie and welcome, be designated driver that way you can't drink!!! and everybody else gets home safe and sound and it is seen as a nice gesture and no questions asked has helped me out plenty of times. Hang in there I'm on day 30 AF been F#*&^%R$#en hard but still going, good luck. Kim
    Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to win!!

Comment

friday december 29

Welcome Louie!!! Good advice Boycie....
      Also try the old new Years resolution chestnut...say that you're going on a diet for New Years, and a hangover will make you eat greasy foods on, what is supposed to be your first day...(please don't tell me you're thin as a stick already)....the other ideas are that you on meds that you can't drink with, like antibiotics etc, have cystitis...
      Actually, go with Boycie...this is by far the most sensible idea, and has the added advantage that you will look like a very generous soul.......Stick with it Louie....and stick here....nice to meet you
      Weemelon

Comment

friday december 29

Welcome Louie

Well done on making this big decision.
        You will find lots of support and great advice here.
        I have offered to drive on New Years Eve, and guess what - it made me really popular with my group of friends.
        Will be interesting to observe everyone throughout the night from a fresh sober perspective.
        Lots of luck to you
        Changeling

Comment

friday december 29

Hi Louie
          I thought Christmas would be hard. I was really worried for a while if people thought I was odd for deciding not to drink. There were a few people on one particular night who just couldn't understand why I wasn't drinking. The more they drank, the more confused they were to see me sober. I didn't make a fuss about not drinking. I just said that I didn't feel like it that night. Usually I would be on doubles all night, after consuming a starter before going out, so I can understand their consternation a little. Most people were pleasantly surprised though. I haven't discussed my problem at any length with anyone but my wife, but I think that the more sensible and sensitive of them realised that I might be trying to sort myself out. At the end of the evening, my sister-in-law said, out of the blue, that she was proud of me for staying sober, which was very kind of her. What I'm trying to say I think, is that you don't have to feel that you have to drink just to please the crowd.
          It doesn't matter to me any more who thinks that Im wierd, because I'm not. I am just trying to improve myself and if that seems strange or unsociable to anyone, I don't care.
          There....today's rant over.

Good Luck to you in your new and improved life.
          Love

Comment

friday december 29

Hi Louie,
            welcome to this site. Don't worry what other people are thinking. I was at the office Christmas party and I finally accepted 2 small glasses of wine (against my better judgement) I declined a third glass and thank God I did, as I got caught in a RIDE check by the police. They asked if I had been drinking and I said yes. He made me walk the line and then I finally had to blow into the tube in the back of this filthy cruiser. I had .06 blood alcohol level and he let me pass. That was scary.
            Being the designated driver is a perfect excuse. I will use that in the future.
            Have a really good day.
            Lori
            *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

friday december 29

One more abs free day for me. I swear, I feel like I have found religion or something. Being abs is THE BEST!

Comment

friday december 29

Barging in from mods land to say Lucky duck you made my day with your new avatar!!!! LMAO!!!!!! Good job on the abs and feeling good about it. I hope to be there for many, many days in the New Year.
                I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

friday december 29

Oh Lucky.......that tutu really is very you!!! Here's to the noo religion.....where anything with a % sign on the bottle is the DEVIL himself ....... Cast thee OUT vino tinto!!!!......great that you feel so good!
                  Paul...VERY good point, there isn't any need to have an explanation really is there????? I still do though I must admit...otherwise ALL talk is about why the melon isn't having a drink, and it turns into a really big deal, even when I try and make a 'no thanks' as small a deall as possible......I say that it is because I can't give up smoking, and I only want one vice, as my new years resolution.......I say it with a casual toss of the hair as well, as if stopping drinking is no deal at all....$%****&@#
                  Lori....Gosh I BET you were thanking the little sunshine fairies!!!! Saying no definitely paid off!!!

Happy day all.......Weeflickyfringemelon toss, toss xoxo

Comment

friday december 29

Louie -

All of the above are good. Not excuses, but good reasons not to drink. There is a difference. I like, "I don't feel like it tonight." Because actually, we don't feel like it. We know it isn't what is best for us or for our lives. That way we are speaking our truth, without rubbing noses in it and making others feel wierd about our decision.

Enjoy New Years Eve, but you will especially enjoy New Years Day and the way you feel in the morning when you wake up.

Lucky-Ducky - I'm diggin the Tu-Tu! Hey Boyce, Weemelon, Change, Paul, Lori & Lush. Feels really good to be here.

:l

Sherry
                    "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

friday december 29

My duckie is also wearing a tiara but you can hardly see it.

Comment

friday december 29

Just a quick post to see if anyone is watching Dr Phil right now?

Alcohol related..
                        Lisa

Comment

Working...
                        X