Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any other gastric bypass people out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. I know. Apparently 30% of us end up addicts on something else. My case, alcohol.

However, what I want to discuss is actually eating food. Healthy food.

I can't eat a "real" meal at a restaurant. If I do, I end up lying in bed writhing in pain due to the carbs I have consumed.

But, if I want to eat light, fruit and veggies give me the same issue.

This sucks. About the only thing I can ingest without suffering sugar dumping is alcohol. That is not a good thing. :-(

If I had to do it all over again, I would not.

Any advice from others out there who have gone through this surgery? What do you eat? How do you deal with it?

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Hey Cindi,

Great thread topic! I learned from you and a friend that this happens, and it makes SO much sense.

So many of us who didn't do the GB just ingested our sugars in AL, but you were better, you ingested actual food. That IS better, no matter what the food. At least you weren't screwing up ALL your relationships like AL people like me do.

I hope people feel open to posting their thoughts and experiences on this thread, it's long past due. It's not just you.

xxoo

Comment

yes i am also a victim of Gastric bypass. I say victim because i would have it reversed in a moment if I could. I had GB and replaced food with ALcohol. I am 110% sure. i still don't eat very much its been 5 years since my surgery and i have gained all but 20 lbs back. its sickening.
      I was one of the poor sods that CANNOT ingest sugar. i have not eaten a cookie or had a piece of chocolate or cake or a drink of non diet pop in 5 years. sugar makes me physically ill. So i replaced sugar with wine, beer, vodka etc. GB has ruined my life.

I want my old, fat, sober life back...
      caper
      AF since Sept 2013...
      :alf:

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I have not had GP but I have a friend of a friend who had it over 20 years ago and has not had a problem with AL. I will ask her what she eats.

On a similar note, my client gained 60 pounds in 3 months from quitting smoking. She refused to exercise and had lab band surgery to "solve" her problem. That was 2 years ago....and to this day, she cannot eat steak and she misses it. She doesn't like AL but eats a lot of soup and salad. Meat is almost impossible. And....the side effects because she had to figure out what she could and could not eat. She vomits if her food intake is not right....then she started putting on weight because the band was not tight enough. It is just not worth it...I don't think.

I mentioned this linkage to my wonderful doctor, who said obesity often starts because a person has been sexually abused. Then, they have GP but the memories are still there....and becaue they can't eat....they drink.... and become alcoholic. She said those people wouldn't have developed alcoholism if they had gone to therapy to find out WHY they ate in the first place.

Also, Cindi, some time ago you posted a link from CalorieLab about the link between GP and Alcoholism. I bet there would be some good information there.

This is a great thread. Thank you for starting it!

Comment

Cindi, my Friend -
          I am a 2-time GB gal. First was 2000 and "revision" was 2005. Had a few good years then I replaced food with AL. Wish I had the answers. Am desperate to stay sober.
          No normal person could healthily exist on my daily food intake ... and I am tired of being GB-SICK! Sugar creates "dumping" but "healthy food" gives me severe diarhhea.
          Bariatrics is certainly a "money-maker."
          Courage is fear that has said its prayers. - Karl Barth
          :wings: :huggy

Comment

As sad as this sounds, it is good to hear others are having the same issue. Not just the AL issue, but the food issue, too.

I can't eat enough to keep my protein, vitamin D, etc, up to snuff. I have to supplement, supplement, supplement.

Of course, the B-12, I knew about but didn't realize how bad one can feel if you don't stay on course with the sublinguals.

Yes, Rusty. I was raped at 15. Enough said.

Unfortunately, the only thing that makes me feel "good" is alcohol. But, it is also killing me.

Like everyone else here, GB or not.

Thank you for your replies. At least it is something to chew on. :H

Love,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hi Cindi,:h

Gosh, I am soooo sorry to hear that you were raped.:upset: How horrible for you. I absolutely did not mean to say that therapy was the ONLY way to avoid alcoholism after GP....so I hope I didn't offend/upset you. I am really sorry if I did. I was assaulted when I was 10 and I never told my family. I have felt shame most of my life.

It was interesting to hear my doctor's perspective....she is the ONLY doctor I have ever gone to who has such compassion and empathy for her patients. She will try ANYTHING to help a person with a weight problem and/or addiction. Other doctors are so judgmental about people with weight and AL problems, but she likes to get to the root cause of why a person eats/drinks....she's helped a lot of people and I confide in her a lot. I will ask her what kind of diet she would recommend for people who have had GP. I bet one person who would gladly offer suggestions is our own Mama Bear, who had GP several years ago.

Masquerade....wow, you, too have suffered to have had that surgery twice. I can't imagine.:l

Thanks again for starting this thread, Cindi. You're so generous with the time you give people here. I'll PM you tomorrow.

Rusty

Comment

Rusty;1192810 wrote: Hi Cindi,:h

Gosh, I am soooo sorry to hear that you were raped.:upset: How horrible for you. I absolutely did not mean to say that therapy was the ONLY way to avoid alcoholism after GP....so I hope I didn't offend/upset you. I am really sorry if I did. I was assaulted when I was 10 and I never told my family. I have felt shame most of my life.

It was interesting to hear my doctor's perspective....she is the ONLY doctor I have ever gone to who has such compassion and empathy for her patients. She will try ANYTHING to help a person with a weight problem and/or addiction. Other doctors are so judgmental about people with weight and AL problems, but she likes to get to the root cause of why a person eats/drinks....she's helped a lot of people and I confide in her a lot. I will ask her what kind of diet she would recommend for people who have had GP. I bet one person who would gladly offer suggestions is our own Mama Bear, who had GP several years ago.

Masquerade....wow, you, too have suffered to have had that surgery twice. I can't imagine.:l

Thanks again for starting this thread, Cindi. You're so generous with the time you give people here. I'll PM you tomorrow.

Rusty
                Rusty,

How could what you have said offend me? I thought it was a very kind post, just like the person posting it.

I agree, Masquerade, it is rough to have suffered it twice. Those darn drains are so disgusting, aren't they?

Love,
                Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                X