Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOG WISDOM

A Dog's Purpose from a 4 year old

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

DOG WISDOM

Southernbell

I like it! Thanks for sharing
    Control the Mind

Comment

DOG WISDOM

out of the mouths of Babes!

Comment

DOG WISDOM

Wow! I'm tearing and laughing all at once. Sooo true.

Comment

DOG WISDOM

I love my doggie!

Comment

DOG WISDOM

AAAh ............ thanks
            sigpicXXX

Comment

DOG WISDOM

Thanks for that.

It reminded me of the day that my step-father died.
              To cut a long story short, my mother divorced him and he ended up living with us as he had nowhere else to go. He was addicted to drink and tablets. I woke up one morning and put the my daughter to school. My son was only a toddler then. Anyway, I had a feeling that something was not right.
              He usually kept to his room, but I sensed that something bad had happened, so I went to see if he was OK.
              I found him dead in his bed.
              I phoned an ambulance and took my son to a neighbours house. I was unemployed at the time. I telephoned my wife to let her know and she came home.
              After everything had settles down, we wondered how to break the news to the children. Andrew was too young to realise what had happened but Paula was 5 years old, and she adored her 'papa'. When she came home from school, I took her to the back door and sat her on my knee. I told her as gently as I could that her papa had died. After a moment's thought, she said 'Oh well, there's only four of us now.', and that was the end of that.

Comment

DOG WISDOM

Ah... the wisdom of a childs logic.
                Thanks.
                Lori
                *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

DOG WISDOM

Oohh! That is soo Right on! Nancy! :heart: :thumbs: Thanks!

:l Judie
                  The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

DOG WISDOM

I love my dog too!

Comment

DOG WISDOM

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

DOG WISDOM

Thats why I have 5 dogs lots of unconditional love no judgements.Just a little back talk now and then from Mamie Eisenhower The dog; not the 1st lady)

Comment

Working...
                        X