Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience with exercise

Hi Boh,
    I am new to the site and have been a heavy drinker for over 30 of my 57years on earth. I have maintained most of those years by running and working out most days of the week. I also have quit drinking 3 times for a year and got myself into incredible shape those three times. I have been tapering my alcohol amounts for the past couple of days and today and tonight start my sobriety. I have noticed some liver swelling and developed neuropathy in my feet and hands and eye sight and balance are getting bad. I'm quitting this horrible shit this time for good! No cutting back like I see several of you do. This crap will kill you sooner than later. I am not looking forward in tonights sleep results but lookin forward to how I start feeling in a couple of days. I would probably be dead by now with out the exercise I have done in my life.
    Tim

Comment

Exercise has been a life saver for me. Similar to you, Endo Man, I drank heavily for 30+ years. I went through periods where I would try to get into shape but it really wasn't until I was in my mid-50's when I got more serious about taking charge of my health. I was 40 pounds overweight, had borderline high blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides were high, and my blood glucose was elevated. Here I am 4 1/2 years later. I have taken off the 40 pounds, all of my blood chemistries and blood pressure are within normal limits. I accomplished all of this by eventually becoming AF and sticking to a very strict exercise regimen. I have never felt better in my entire life and I will be 60 in 6 more months!

Running has become one of my passions. I have run at least 15 half-marathons in the past 4 years and I am finishing my training to run the Chicago Marathon in a little more than 2 weeks from now. That will be my 3rd full marathon that I've run in the past 3 years.

I can't imagine a day without some type of exercise; similar to how I couldn't imagine drinking myself to sleep just about every night for 30+ years.

I am very happy to be alive and to be in the best shape of my life!
      John
      AF since 7/13/2010

Comment

Just turned 50 here, same old record, always exercised and drank for last 35 years. Just never thought how bad it was or ignored any information that said so. Hey I get up early, can workout no problem.

Well I am on day AF 20 and I look back and see that alcohol gives results too. It takes longer to see them than exercise but they F up your mind and you don't notice that career, relations, attitude are deteriorating.

So now I take the many benefits of exercise that is so good that it can save you from years of putting poison in and use it to propel me into a great state of health.

Guy's remember after a workout, having a smoke and a protein shake and then hitting the bars later on. What an idiot.

Just like any sport, I am in training, training my mind and my self talk to be in control while my body heals. My liver is gotten some higher levels so I am back to the doc to see whats up.
        What you resist persits

Comment

Made a commitment to myself that I would not have any desserts during the month of October and that I would get some form of exercise -- even it it's just crunches and squats from my hotel room-- every day during October. I know that sugar can increase cravings for AL and that exercise helps reduce cravings. Just celebrated my 55th birthday (joyfully sober) and want to get back to some level of physical fitness.

Boh, if you are reading, we would welcome an update from you and hope you will join us for an AF October.
          Free at Last
          "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
          http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Happy Birthday, Free! Now we're the same .

Are you still doing the 7 minute sequence? I vary the intervals and reps to keep it interesting and still like it a lot.

Comment

Thanks, No Sugar. My birthday was actually a couple of weeks ago -- been so busy, I basically forgot about it.

Exercise levels have been poor. Walking the dog when I am home, but otherwise, haven't seen the treadmill, elliptical, or rowing machine in two weeks. Flat out work and then exhaustion.

Won't make it to the gym tonight but I did manage to avoid the desserts!
              Free at Last
              "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
              http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

it's good exercise you doing but keep in mind that good diet is also very essential...you've good day
                If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.
                product app

Comment

Hi Boh,
                  Exercises not only help us in losing and maintaining body weight healthy but also improve our immunity system and reduce the risk of hypertension, obesity, diabetes, certain types of cancer and heart problems, so we must exercise daily.
                  Doctors Studio
                  Lisbeth Roy, D.O.
                  6400 N Andrews Avenue Suite 120
                  Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
                  561 - 444 - 7751

Comment

Working...
                  X