Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread - May 14 - 20

Hi Everyone:

Last night's BB meeting was wonderful. I love the stories in the center of the book. They are by people who didn't hit a low, low bottom. That was me. My bottom felt low, but it wasn't rock bottom. I didn't lose job, family, home, etc. I did lose self-esteem, integrity, spirituality, & sanity. I don't have to question whether I'm an alcoholic, because I know I am...I didn't drink like a normal person.

Sobriety allows me to continue to take the necessary risks in order to have a good, challenging life. That doesn't mean I went bungee jumping this past weekend. It just means that sobriety allows me to go out of my comfort zone. I don't have the fears I had when I was drinking.

I've really been working on my fears...especially my fear of people. As I get deeper into my recovery, I can see that the 12 steps work for everything...not just stopping the drinking. I can't express how grateful I am that I have them.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Hey Mary, just a quick stop in for me today - working on a big house project.

Glad to hear you're doing well. Me too!! And I can see where AA is a good life program - lots of principles that work for many things!

xx,
    UN

Comment

Last night's speaker meetings was very good. One speaker in particular really didn't sugar-coat anything. He told of a time when he expressed to his sponsor that he'd like to be happy. His sponsor responded that he should be thinking in terms of how he could being useful...not being happy. Mary
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi, Mary and UW.

Haven't been on here ina bit, because of work, really. Haven't been to a meeting in over two weeks, but am going to a potluck/meeting tonight with a friend and my sponsor. I thank God every day for what I have been given and ask for another sober day. I won't lose sight of that ever. Some days I feel so down because I cannot drive, but then remember how lucky I am to be alive and not in jail or even a hospital. And I know I'll have the driving privilege back in seven months if I continue to just let my HP lead my life.
        Hope you--and anybody else coming here today--have a great sober day!

Pam
        "One day at a time."

Comment

tdn: It's good you're going to the potluck w/sponsor. I really appreciate socializing w/AA friends. It's given me a different perspective on how to be in company w/others wo/drinking. I've been trying for at least 3 meetings per week. Anything less & I start to feel antsy. Good luck. Mary
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Tonight I'm going to my sponsor's home before a meeting & taking the 6/7th steps. I've thought about my list of character defects. I know it's unrealistic to think I can be rid of them forever, but I intend to work on them throughout my life. My major one if fear. It is the basis for every other defect I have. Mary
            October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary, I think we are on a life-long journey here with our character defects. The steps and the AA fellowship provide a roadmap for us.
              Love and Peace,
              Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Good morning!

Just wanted to say that I received my 6 month coin at the noon meeting yesterday. It felt so good to have gotten this far in the journey, and I hope to continue forever--one day at a time!
                Since I hadn't been to that meeting in three weeks, one of the guys I really like filled me in on some "fireworks" that had happened this week. Some sure are sicker than others! And one guy whom I have known for years, got another DUI on Tuesday. He had had a couple before, and had just had the Interlock device removed from his vehicle a couple of months ago. His BAC was .09, and in this state, DUI is .08 or higher. He already has problems with his wife, so I am praying for him, as he has a lot to face now.
                Happy to report that I survived a great dinner party last night where all my friends and Mr TDN were drinking. It wasn't the first time I'd been with this group since getting sober, and they have all been very supportive of me, and I feel comfortable that they do not suffer from the same disease I have and should not have to abstain because I am with them. I brought my own cranberry/orange soda, and felt good with that. And no worries about hangover this morning Good thing, because I didn't get to bed until midnight and one of my darling doggies had me up at 5:45!
                Off to work for 9:00, and one of my AA friends will be with me for most of the day, so we'll have a chance to talk.
                Hope you all have a great sober weekend!
                TDN
                "One day at a time."

Comment

tdn: I too have socialized w/people who are social drinkers. In fact, tonight is our gourmet group dinner, & there will be plenty of drinking but no drunken stuff. It's fine w/me...everyone knows I don't drink, & there is usually plenty of nice soft drinks for me.

I want to congratulate you on receiving your coin. The first year's milestones are so significant. Good luck. Go to meetings!

Mary
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

TDN, congratulations on 6 months, that is a big deal.
                    Mary, I just returned from a week long sales meeting. Some folks asked how,long since my last drink. I told them about 2 1/2 years. They then asked why I stopped and I said I had had enough. Then no more questions and I was left to enjoy my club soda. Not a big deal anymore. I am grateful for that.
                    Love and Peace,
                    Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Phil: Me too. We're in a gourmet dinner club which meets for great meals every few months. Alcohol is served, but nobody drinks too much...normal drinkers all, except me. While everyone was having their mai tais (Hawaiian theme), I had my diet soda. It was perfectly fine...nobody asks anymore...they just know I don't drink for whatever reason. Once in a while someone will ask why I don't have a glass of wine or something. I just tell them I don't like the way alcohol makes me feel. Or sometimes I tell them that I'm a recovering alcoholic. I like to bust their image of what an alcoholic looks like. Good for you! I'm so glad you're sober. It allows your wisdom to come out. Mary
                      October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                      X