Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

OMG, I absolutely LOVED this book. Here is a brief synopsis: In 1995, reeling from her Mother's death from cancer and hoping to escape from a new heroin habit, 26 y/o Strayed set out to walk the Pacific Crest Trail. (Techie note: Longer and more challenging than Appalachian trail). The PCT runs from Mexico to Canada (Techie note: passes Sunny Bums house) through the John Muir's snow laden High Sierra and the blazing Mohave Desert. I enjoyed Strayed encounters with fellow travelers. She has many encounters with wildlife as well. Rattlesnakes, wild boars, wild bulls, and bears. This is an amazing journey that made this big lug tear up a few times. The take away for me is this. I am simply amazed how people can pull it back together, and reassemble a life torn apart by tragedy and addiction.

This is a very motivational read.
    “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Gonna get it. x
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

I'm going to order it for the library! Do you think it would resonate with college-aged people? Thanks for sharing.

"I like people too much or not at all."
      Sylvia Plath

Comment

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Techie, your recommendations have always been good ones, so I'll add this to my list.

Thanks
        Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

LibraryGirl;1337619 wrote: I'm going to order it for the library! Do you think it would resonate with college-aged people? Thanks for sharing.
          Yes it would be a wonderful addition LG !
          “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

loved it! very good read for sure!
            I must suppress the beast within so I can find my way out of the darkness.
            sober since 2/4/12

Comment

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Just finished this book. Thank you for the recommendation, Techie! I loved it. I did order it for the library, and I hope lots of students get their hands on it. It's inspiring, and I hope some of them will be inspired to go on their own "spirit walks".

I must say, about her addiction though, it didn't seem that she was addicted to heroin. She definitely didn't write about any withdrawals. If the book is to be believed, I guess her "addiction" lasted about a summer. Also, she drank a good bit on the trail, lol, when she got the chance. None of these facts distract from what is a really awesome read.

"I like people too much or not at all."
              Sylvia Plath

Comment

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

I saw this as one of Oprah's features in O Magazine a while back, and plan now to order it on ebay. I try to get all my books there, as many come from the Goodwill and are usually brand new or in tip top shape, have free shipping, and are really cheap!
                "One day at a time."

Comment

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Read the book in two days, three sittings. Couldn't put it down. Remarkably well written--a story of physical hardship leading to a spritual, emotional cleansing. Just what I need right now. Highly recommend.
                  Free at Last
                  "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                  http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Her other book, "Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar" is also amazing, equally wonderful. I have read it a couple of times. She writes an advice column under the name "Dear SUgar" and her advice to people is really quite something. Irreverent but poignant. Give it a try!

Ann

Comment

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Just came back from road trip and read this book. I would also recommend it. I've climbed 14 footers so identified with some of it including getting caught in blizzards, but doing that in 1 day and being out there for 2 or was it 3 months like she was.....man, what a tough lady!

TMH
                      The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

Working...
                      X