why is the atheist thread closed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ACCEPT that I have a biochemical dependency on alcohol and nicotine. If I have surrendered it is a surrendering to denial of this reality.
    My group, MWO, reminds me of that reality, daily, ATM.

I have neither the time nor the need for anything more but if I did and AA was my ONLY choice I would investigate it. Having heard how some of these groups are I hope that I never have to go there.
    You have found it positive, that is good and I am glad for you. Whatever works

Comment

Can I jump in on this? I'm attending AA meetings mainly because my therapist said it was that or go to rehab. I know I'm not that far down the path. I just really needed some help and guidance to go in the right direction. I like the AA meetings I attend only for the people. I have to let the rest go. I do not subscribe to their religious views. I think the AA's feel that they are embracing all faiths or lack there of but it really is a Christian organization. I work very hard to let that not be in my way.

I wish I could meet you all in person but that is not possible so the living breathing in the same room with me people are the AA's. I think the saying "go to meetings and take what you need" is a bit of a way around not fixing or updating the program. I continue to go because the other people help me along my path.
      ~nurdl
      :notes:
      we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

exactly...and obviously it isn;t my only form of support, and that is indeed what "they are talking about when they say surrender...that we are powerless over alcohol. not trying to convert, just clarify.
        i fought aa for years before i had ever even gone to a meeting...i had to get to the point i was at to want to go there for it to work...noone could have pushed it on me, and i would never push it on someone. i originally started this thread in the hopes that atheists in recovery would want to talk about how we perceive the higher power, and to help each other with more support here if we needed it. aa isn;t the be all end all, but it sure is nice to talk to people from all walks of life who come together in a room and we all feel the connection of that one thing that looms in our lives (alcohol) and sharing about it drawing strength from each other to make it through the day (or hour or minute) without drinking.

i used mwo for quite a while and was sober for 7 months one stretch, but i didn;t have any real life support of other people who really understand this thing called alcoholism from the inside to help me over the humps that invariably pop up in life and that make me want to drink. it's just a support system, no more, no less.

10-06-2012

Comment

cross post, nurdl...spot on...spot on.
          10-06-2012

Comment

i am the queen of run on sentences.
            10-06-2012

Comment

I would love to have the courage of going to aa one day. I admire the ones who do go.
              Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
              A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

i was scared to death the first day, alcoholic, but never a more welcoming group will you meet!
                10-06-2012

Comment

What I find is that is my LACK of belief that gives me strength. The knowledge that I, alone, am responsible, was very empowering and liberating.
                  I am not faulty or broken, just human and regardless of billions of years of evolution some systems are subject to malfunction in a modern society.
                  The release of endorphins was a system to reward survival behaviour ......unfortunately it also rewards drug addiction. To me a sure sign we were NOT designed. Why would any being create something with a built in self destruct mechanism?

Comment

True dat Kuya!
                    :notes:
                    we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

On the other hand, if we could only choose to do the "right" thing, where would free will come in, and why would there be a need for hell? The religion I was brought up in believes that souls have existed as long as God has existed and he created the world in order for there to be a place for souls to come to life as human beings and to have a chance to go to a better place (heaven) after death.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                      Sylvia Plath

Comment

LibraryGirl;1408066 wrote: On the other hand, if we could only choose to do the "right" thing, where would free will come in, and why would there be a need for hell? The religion I was brought up in believes that souls have existed as long as God has existed and he created the world in order for there to be a place for souls to come to life as human beings and to have a chance to go to a better place (heaven) after death.
                        There have been nearly 3000 recorded gods, all have associated stories, hell, heaven, Valhalla etc etc. To debate the validity of the most recent seems somewhat preposterous, somehow giving validity to that which I do not hold as true.

Comment

yep, we are the only ones who can make sobriety happen in our lives. ain't no god or goddess walking me into any of my meetings!
                          10-06-2012

Comment

lol, simplicity wins.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                            Sylvia Plath

Comment

indeed!
                              10-06-2012

Comment

‎13 Beliefs Worth Inspiring In Our World:

1. Belief in the goodness of people

2. Belief in the power of love

3. Belief in the beauty of life

4. Belief in the equal, inherent and divine worth of every person

5. Belief in the freedom of being a fully-expressed human being

6. Belief in the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part

7. Belief in the mystery and miracle of being human

8. Belief in feeling it all deeply

9. Belief in listening to, trusting, following, and giving expression to what most deeply stirs, moves and speaks inside you

10. Belief that everything matters and nothing is wasted on our journey

11. Belief in truly seeing and knowing a person behind their mask ? listening, loving, accepting others without condition or judgment

12. Belief in the balm of kindness, tenderness, and gentleness

13. Belief in the need for human touch

"And that's all I've got to say about that"

Now I'm off to see about a penis...
                                AF Since July 27, 2012:jumpin:

"Don?t be satisfied with the norm if you want more. It?s okay to want to achieve special results. The world needs folks who dream and achieve big things. Never give up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FS...e_gdata_player

Comment

Working...
                                X