30 Days AF Monthly Moderation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signing up for the 30 days too - day 2 today, so a ways to go. I am not sure what my plan will be after 30days, and I wish I could stop looking that far ahead - I just need to gently wind my way towards the 30 days and then take it from there when i have done that.
    Last time I managed over 60 days and started at the end of Nov last year - so a head start to be at the same place again. Maybe I can have something to be truly thankful for on this American Holiday at the end of November?
    Thanks for the calm, non judgmental advice and guidance Eve, you are a voice of reason. I am happy to be here and learn all I can....
    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Welcome Scottish Lass. I have seen you around and enjoy reading your posts. I think taking 30 days AF is a good idea and a good place to start (deciding what you want your relationship with AL to be). Looking forward to seeing you on Day 3!

LG

"I like people too much or not at all."
      Sylvia Plath

Comment

scottish lass;1402439 wrote: I am not sure what my plan will be after 30days, and I wish I could stop looking that far ahead - I just need to gently wind my way towards the 30 days and then take it from there when i have done that.
        That sounds like the best plan to me. Just relax, go with the flow...one day at a time. I'll be posting daily inspirtational messages and information to help make each day interesting to check out a thread designed to help give you and every other person trying to be AF the support and encouragement they need. Keep coming back...it works! (as they say in AA )

1. Remember the positive payoff for success

2. Reward yourself at the end of the day.
        Feel free to add to today's list:

:l
        Eve11
        "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Sunbeam;1402174 wrote: Great thread, Eve. Thanks for starting it, you know I feel that the 30 day af stretch is a great way to consider drinking in your life, and develop the non-drinking strategies that one needs to drink moderately.
          I totally agree sunbeam, I think it's a mistake for someone to go 30 days without drinking and then think they will suddenly be cured of their drinking problem, but it's a really good opportunity to develop some strategies and coping skills during that time by taking alcohol out of the picture.

Comment

Good luck Freefly and Scottish Lass on your 30 days!!

Comment

Thanks DG!

Got a great night's sleep last night which makes all the difference.

3. Relax and smell the roses along the way.

I say the last one as I have a tendency to overthink things and that just sets myself up for failure. All the grand plans in my head and then the crushing disappointment when I let myself down. My greatest success comes when I stay in the moment and enjoy my day as best I can. My thoughts are then not consumed with AL - be that having it or not having it. So, off to enjoy my day. Hope you all do too.
              You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Happy Halloween!
                No parties....just trick or treating... Feeling lazy, so probably will volunteer to stay home to pass out candies instead of walking around begging for candies w the kids. Most likely another AF day. I'm a person of habit, now that I have a new habit of not drinking, kind of hard to break that. I like this habit so much more though!
                Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

FreeFly;1402839 wrote: Thanks DG!

Got a great night's sleep last night which makes all the difference.

3. Relax and smell the roses along the way.

I say the last one as I have a tendency to overthink things and that just sets myself up for failure. All the grand plans in my head and then the crushing disappointment when I let myself down. My greatest success comes when I stay in the moment and enjoy my day as best I can. My thoughts are then not consumed with AL - be that having it or not having it. So, off to enjoy my day. Hope you all do too.
                  oh that's a great start to the day freefly.

4. Be patient with yourself.

It's tempting to decide to lose weight, start working out, change your diet, or just catch up on all of those things that have fallen behind, but don't over do it. I found that trying to do too much, just made me feel overwhelmed. I'm still learning patience with myself, and to do my best without setting myself up with too much pressure.

Comment

Day 2

“Promises to ourselves will always materialize if we work for them.”
                    -Alcoholics Anonymous

I used to use any holiday as an excuse to have a drink. Handing out trick or treat candy used to be a reason to have a glass of wine in hand as we sat on our porch waiting for the kids. Now hot apple cider sounds like a much better idea. So much of this stuff is just about making changes and developing new habits.

Today and every day I will remind you to go to sarasmile’s thread and post or read other poster’s reasons for not drinking today. Here is a link to her thread:
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ank-28090.html

What to do instead of drinking:

3. Relax and smell the roses along the way. (submitted by Freefly)

4. Be patient with yourself. (submitted by Drinkingal)
                    Think about plans you can make today that don’t include excuses to allow yourself a drink.

Have a beautiful AF day!!

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Good morning - and thank you for a nice, safe, encouraging place to be. Thanks for the welcomes LG and Eve, and the support DG! Day 3 FF, we are on the way!
                      Halloween usually is my friend and I staying home handing out candy, but we do it form a table in the front with wine for us - this year I am going to break this habit and form a new one - I am with you Alcoholic! I couldn't work out what to drink, but apple cider is a great idea, thanks Eve - just put a box in the bag with candy so I don't forget - be prepared is my addition to the list! Also not to think too far ahead as that is daunting and feels overwhelming....

3. Relax and smell the roses along the way. (submitted by Freefly)

4. Be patient with yourself. (submitted by Drinkingal)

5. Be prepared.

6. Don't think too far ahead, enjoy and celebrate the short term without getting yoru knickers in a twist about the future.

have a great day all, and here is to a successful Halloween...

Comment

I want to add a little quote here.

"Those who believe they can do something, and those who believe they can't are both right." Henry Ford

"I like people too much or not at all."
                        Sylvia Plath

Comment

I just wanted to send good vibes to scottish lass and freefly for tonight and a great af halloween. You can do this ladies!

DG

Comment

Thanks DG - much appreciated

I'm in witching hour now and not going to give in to short term gratification. Think I'll wrap up and go for a walk and buy some biccies to have with a nice cup of tea!

SL - right with you about not getting our knickers in a twist worrying about the future! Gently does it.

I really like this thread, feels safe and supportive as SL said. Thank you. Off to check out Sarasmiles thread. Happy Halloween one and all :huggy
                            You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Day 3

“Faith in our self has to work 24 hours a day!”
                              -Adapted from AA quote

One important way to continue your success is to do things that will solidify your decision not to drink. It is time to get rid of liquor in the house, taking the same way home where you may have triggers that make you want to drink (seeing your favorite liquor store) etc.

There Is a Hole in My Sidewalk
                              Autobiography in Five Short Chapters
                              By Portia Nelson

Chapter One
                              I walk down the street.
                              There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
                              I fall in.
                              I am lost…I am helpless.
                              It isn’t my fault.
                              It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter Two
                              I walk down the street.
                              I pretend that I don’t see it.
                              I fall in again.
                              I can’t believe I am in this same place.
                              But, it isn’t my fault.
                              It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter Three
                              I walk down the same street.
                              There is a deep whole in the sidewalk.
                              I see it is there.
                              I still fall in…it’s a habit…but,
                              My eyes are open
                              I know where I am
                              It is my fault.
                              I get out immediately,

Chapter Four
                              I walk down the same street.
                              I walk around it.

Chapter Five
                              I walk down another street.

The more you reward yourself for walking down different streets, the more likely you are going to feel better about this decision

How will you reward yourself today?
                              1. Take a hot relaxing bath at the end of the day

:l
                              Eve11

Comment

Just checking in - will have to do this daily until I make the 30days - Day 3 done and dusted, Day 4 starting. Headache is fading, but I am hungry today - that is not usual and it is only 11am. Today is wet and "grismal" as my youngest calls it - todays reward will to just be quiet and gentle today - nothing big and exciting....starting to gather strength for the weekend as they have proven to be tough days for me during October - Fri and Sat in particular....

Comment

Working...
                                X