Gabapentin - pretty amazing for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or Neurontin. This anti-epileptic has really assisted me iwth bipolar and with drinking (well have not wanted a drink since i've been on it).

Here's some more info - you can google for more if you are so inclined:

Gabapentin monotherapy was begun in a patient with a 20-year history of panic disorder and alcohol dependence.[21] After failing several therapeutic trials of various drugs, gabapentin 100 mg/day was begun and titrated to 300 mg 3 times/day over 2 weeks. The patient was reported to be panic free at week 5 and at 4-month follow-up.

Oh and...
    The agent's mechanism in the treatment of substance use disorders such as alcoholism and cocaine abuse is not clearly defined but may involve modulation of dopaminergic transmission through its influence of GABA-ergic functioning.[25] Since the drug is not reported to react adversely with drugs or alcohol and has minimal abuse or dependency potential, its role in this area is being further investigated.

Cheers

Cashy
    "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Cashy,

Is this a suppliment or prescription medication?

Thanks for the input!
    :h :h :h :h

Comment

It's a prescription medication, not to be confused with the "gaba" you buy from the health shop - a very different kettle of fish

Cheers

Cashy

Comment

I had a look at a number of online pharmacies and they stock it. Again Aclepsa seems to be the cheapest. Here is a link.

Buy Generic Gabapentin (Neurontin) Online :: Aclepsa.com
        Suz
        Suz
        Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

Cash, do you have any side effects from this medication?
          :h :h :h :h

Comment

Cashy .................I understood about 3 words in your post, but the nub, gist and crux of the message is understood...I'm SO glad for you...it's GREAT to find something that really seems to click with your body, and do the job it is meant to do....you are obviously having fantastic results with this.....

Good News my little change machine!!! xxx

Comment

Cheers weemelon - it's a bloody wonder drug Should be in the water supply.

But seriously - to have something that controls the bipolar and the drinking is amazingly wonderful!!!!

Love ya

C
              xxx

Comment

I read a post on another forum about someone who was using Gabapentin they couldn't cope with the topa side effects but were happy with Gabapentin.
                I'll try and find more info and post it here
                Suz
                Suz
                Happy to be sober since 07 Sept 09.

Comment

I have been on this for a while now - it is really quite remarkable - no cravings, no need to feel the "effect" of a drink in particular. I'm starting to understand the "non-alcoholic drink" as I would like the "taste" but really don't want to "feel" anything - feel good already!

This is the same type of drug as Topa - but side effects much less.

Anyway - so far so very good

PS It really beats Campral hands down in terms of cravings for me - think htta's because it helps with the anxiety and agitation that were making me need a drink in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                  X