Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A whole new level of giving up!

Hi,

I didn't really want to start a thread, but felt like a rant, so I decided to anyway!

It's been about 5 weeks since i've been AF (apart from one small slip up, a stubby of beer) and i am feeling fantastic! Thank you to everybody here who has supported me either directly through their comments, or indirectly by sharing their experiences.

At first, i felt like it was a struggle to give up, that i was an alcoholic who was at the mercy of some type of willpower in order to give up. At first, i feared alcohol, and rightly so, as it was and still is, the enemy for me and many other people. Part of that fear was a feeling that i had to explain myself to people, like i was doing something "wrong" by not drinking.

It's strange, this morning a switch has come on in my mind. I'm like "how dare they?. I don't have to explain myself to anyone"! Alcohol is a drug and a killer and i don't have to justify why i am not choosing to take that destructive path. My thinking has now switched to anger! Anger that i would be tempted and anger at myself for being so wussy that i would be cowardly enough to feel that i have to justify my healthy choices to otehrs.

I am going on a holiday in a few weeks. I know there will be lots of alcohol there and i am staying with a long time heavy drinker friend of mine. The thought of this previously frightened me and i actually considered not going. Although i may be tempted that weekend, i'm at least not going to feel that i have to explain myself, or justify myself, or make excuses. If he asks why, i am going to be brutally honest with him. If it doesn't sit well with him, the burden lays on him and not me. I hope he can find the common sense to quit and i may talk to him about that if it comes up.

Anyhow, just wanted to share how my thinking has changed and am wondering whether anybody else experienced a similiar shift? Or, am i the only weirdo here?! Peace.
    One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

I totally agree with you with the rational, logical part of my brain. I want to feel that level of emotional commitment also and am (somewhat) patiently waiting for that switch to flip.

Have a good AF vacation even if your friend isn't yet open to the changes you've made.

All the best -

Comment

You are definitely not the only weirdo here Change. Of that I can be sure! :H

I had many "a-ha" moments along the way. Jason Vale's book Kick The Drink Easily changed my thinking about alcohol in many ways. But when I finally got good and ready to quit it was like a switch was flipped. And I mean that about a lot of things.

I agree with you about explaining it to people. What is there to explain? I don't drink. The people who are incredulous when i say that are the ones who have a problem themselves. And I have no problem making someone like that feel as uncomfortable as he is attempting to make me feel.

Comment

I'm so glad you decided to make the thread )) I was lucky in that like Fly I quit and was able to. Flip the switch right away. I made a point to put it out there and make myself face that's aspect fron the beginning out of fear that it would suck me in if I didn't... it made EVERYTHING so much easier to deal with because I was proud and not ashamed of my choice.

I admire people like you who quit and kept at it until the light went on. That demonstrates a hell of a lot of will power and determination. I'm very happy for you this changes everything, you'll see

Have a great vacation AF and enjoy the show...drunk people can be the greatest reinforcement once the light is on and you can see the situation as it really is.

Comment

My life is better without alcohol, that's why I stopped drinking. 'Nuff said.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Sunbeam;1462958 wrote: My life is better without alcohol, that's why I stopped drinking. 'Nuff said.
            I love that Sunbeam, so simple and powerful
            Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X