The Truth, The Whole Truth and Nothing but about Baclofen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the truth about Baclofen treatment from someone who knows, having taken it and seen it working for someone else.

Baclofen does stop alcoholic craving, at varying doses. The side effects can be awful and you feel like you cannot breath and are going to die in your sleep. It makes you fuddled in the head, can make you so indifferent to everything around you that you lose your job or have a car accident. It takes a long time to have its full effect because when you eventually stop drinking you are only one step along a journey. You brain has to recover from years of abuse, rebuild itself chemically so that you can think properly. You then have to decide whether you have other chemical problems and might need some other drug to help out. You need to change your diet so you replace all the sugar you no longer get from alcohol and in the process you might put on a lot of weight which means exercising.

Then when you think you are there, you have to deal with the mess you have created in your life, figure out how to get back on top of things and stay there. You may relapse along the way because the side effects make you not want to carry on at high dose or because of the stress of a life you have created for yourself through drinking.

Then, you may need help sorting out emotional and psychological issues. You will find it hard to find any one who supports you in your recovery because traditional "help" for alcoholism consists of "helping" the "victims" of your alcoholism by telling partners and spouses to leave you, reporting you to the police and social/children services and trying to put so much pressure on you to go to AA that you end up drinking yourself into oblivion.

No one "gets" the idea that baclofen is a successful treatment for alcoholism. Before, you had to hide your alcoholism, now you will have to hide your treatment because most people will actually laugh at you for even suggesting there is a treatment for alcoholism. They won't understand the anxiety relation and will say that any problems you still have are because you are still drinking alcoholically.

Is this the answer to alcoholism? Yes... because however bad it seems alcoholism is a thousand times worse for you and everyone around you. The only reason I can think of not to follow this route is that it makes it easier on everyone else if you just lie down in the gutter and give up on life altogether or go off to some room and talk to people in the same condition and where you convince yourself you are getting better when you are not.

What baclofen needs is people who have the courage to make a noise about it so that, after it starts working, there are the supports there to consolidate recovery from this illness. If everyone here wrote an email a day or spoke to someone who might do something, it would be a start in getting the public attention this treatment desperately needs.

Umm........ I think I'll 2nd this.

For the most part it reflects my feelings.
    Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 Present maintenance dose of 50mg : started drinking after 1 year, upped dose to 80mg and stopped: Tapered to 30mg, started 6 months of drinking, upped dose to 240mg to stop 12/7/12

Comment

KB-

That was a fantastic post. A very good summary of the long journey of BAC.

:thanks:

Comment

I'm glad it worked for you, well done.

Perhaps a less dogmatic approach would garner some more support though. Baclofen, and indeed any way out of alcoholism, is different for everybody.

Comment

Hi Kerry,

I haven't posted in months! It's been almost 5 months since I drank. Baclofen has changed my life and given me the ability to see more clearly what my life is today, and it ain't pretty.

What I have come to realize, most painfully, is that being sober and anxiety free (for the most part) is not the freedom that I dreamed it would be. As you mention so eloquently. After you stop drinking you're only one step on the journey.

I'm seriously looking at AA now to help me with my journey to living my life alcohol free.
          I never felt I could do that before because I couldn't stay sober due to the anxiety.

I plan to speak openly about my baclofen use during my meetings and and if there comes a time when I no longer need Baclofen, great. For right now, its been the miracle to get me to where I am today.

Although every 'knows' there is more to sobriety than being sober, today I KNOW it.

Comment

The Whole Truth - Ain't it the Truth

Hi Kerry,

I haven't posted in months! It's been almost 5 months since I drank. Baclofen has changed my life and given me the ability to see more clearly what my life is today, and it ain't pretty.

What I have come to realize, most painfully, is that being sober and anxiety free (for the most part) is not the freedom that I dreamed it would be. As you mention so eloquently. After you stop drinking you're only one step on the journey.

I'm seriously looking at AA now to help me with my journey to living my life alcohol free.
            I never felt I could do that before because I couldn't stay sober due to the anxiety.

I plan to speak openly about my baclofen use during my meetings and and if there comes a time when I no longer need Baclofen, great. For right now, its been the miracle to get me to where I am today.

Although every 'says' there is more to sobriety than being sober, today I live it.
            I'm ready for the next step.

Comment

Hi Sober-

So glad to "see" you and glad the Bac is holding up.

I recently saw an seemingly unusual finding about cancer patient survivors. One of the psychological issues that comes with cancer is depression. However, when some people overcome the physical cancer they still have depression. They have to re-learn how to face life.

Cancer survivors: Managing your emotions after cancer treatment - MayoClinic.com

Comment

Hi Kerry, great post!

Comment

Great post kb.

Comment

Working...
                  X