First time posting....first time seriously trying Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes. 27 years old from scotland and have drank alcohol most weekends for almost half my life.

Started off with buckfast( 15% fortified wine with copious amounts of caffeine in it) at 14 every friday saturday and absolutely loved it felt braver funnier was more comfortable round girls ,seemed to cure my crippling shyness i had in my teens.

This mostly stayed the same until about 21 years of age and i got a decent job then alcohol at weekends wud strt friday at 5pm aftr work and wud not stop until early hours sunday morning. Later in life iv learned this was due to my self destruction low self esteem my depressed and anxious mental state.

Now iv never been an everyday drinker until times of strife such as relationship breakdowns, of which thrs bn many, then i would stay off work for weeks even months at a time and drink until i passed out and start agen havin some food in between.

Problem is iv been hospitalised from falling off a train platform bqckwards onto the track puncturing my lung breakin ribs and staples in my head. This still did not make me stop drnkn. Aftr 10 day stay in hospital in high dependency was on a 3 day bender within 2 days of gtn out. Iv had several broken noses from fighting, many nights in cells, court appearances from fighting, community service, drink drive charges, wrecked relationships girlfriends family childhood friends. BLACKOUTS almost evry wknd Nothing made me stop.

I went to see Dr. Chick in october 2011 he provided baclofen on a private script untilp y GP took it on moved upto 80mg quite quickly and had been doin ok with moderate drinkin. Lately i have slipped back into old habits. I have been absent from work on many mondays and tuesdays due to alcohol withdrawls in last few months. Currently off just now as the wknd thr about 200 pounds ws spent on drink and only about 50 of tht in a pub rest in an alcoholic haze. The withdrawals on monday morning were horrendous and by far worst iv had brain on fire haullacinations pouring with sweat bt shivering crazy night terrors.

Difference this time i havnt succumbed to a drink and now been since about 11pm sunday night. I have seen this coming for a while one more blowout before i cash in my selincro (nalmafene) script from dr.chick. i am so scared of losing my job as its fairly well paid and to find anothr one with my anxiety/depression issues not to mention criminal record would be too much for me at this stage in life.

Anyway this forum n have ducked back and firward to for 2years now and find inspring in times of mad cravings hopelessness and soulessness. Hope i can get my life back on track and live a happy healthy(ish) life with my wonderful partner who has stuck by me over some really dark times over last 2 and half years.

Your storys are familiar, they resonate but most of all inspire.

Cheers.

Hey gen,

Welcome mate - always pleased to see a fellow Scot on the boards. You checked out the newbies nest yet? Or the tool thread? Both are priceless especially if new to the boards.

This link will take you to todays latest posts on the NN : Newbies Nest

Tool thread is here - Loadsagoodadvice

And keep reading and posting - ask questions, use the site. It is invaluable. Look forward to seeing you round

Cheers

Comment

Cheers for the welcome and the links mate. Il defo be stickin around. Just really cant wait to start my nalmefene and see if i can live a life that iv often dreamed of.

Robbie.

Comment

Welcome! Sounds like you're in the right place. Hang tight and give it time. Just don't drink! You're young enough that you could have a full and wonderful life ahead of you.

Comment

Cheers sake. It just sickens me that its taken all the horrible things iv done all the dangerous situations iv put myself in and all the pain and suffering iv caused others to feel this way. Iv been here many many times before but have never gave it a try because when the pain wears off iv always went back to the drink thinkin i can handle it and control it. In 14 years i cant remember a week when i have not had a drink.

Even if i can see out this week and weekend il feel proud and i knw this sounds pretty pathetic but i will. And this place a reckon can help me....a lot.

Comment

Hello Gene, so you're a Fifer, eh? Welcome aboard! Well done on not drinking since Sunday. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and visit the threads that RC mentioned. If you can make it through the week and the weekend, which you can, that's a great thing to build on. Nice to have you with us
            Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Aye a fifer indeed!!.Yeah a really wud like to be AF but dont think its realistic at the moment so have bn prescribed selincro (nalmefene) with a view to reducing alcohol slowly. I need more info on this sinclair method iv heard about. Having said that im going to try and stay alcohol free for as long as pos without it.

Comment

The withdrawal symptoms you describe are serious. Talk to your Doctor as soon as you can. If you feel your heart racing or if you get really bad tremors go to the ER. Don't try to rough it out.
                Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Hi Gene. Glad to see you here and welcome. It sounds like you are grateful for the good things in your life and want to keep them. Good for you! That's a great first step. You are young enough to turn this around right now and have a life full of wonderful memories rather than a head full of regrets. Hang tough, stay strong and post often.

edited to add: I agree with TJAF - withdrawal is nothing to mess around with. If you need medical assistance, seek it out. Don't try to do this on your own.
                  Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Tjaf and mossrose thanks for concern regarding the withdrawals, normally i have librium to come off drink with but toughed this out. It lasted until tuesday evening and now feel bit better only the self loathing and stupidity of goin thru the same repeated pattern remains, anxiety about what work colleagues will say when i return to work today. Anxiety about whther i will keep job or not.

But still no alcohol and no desire to have any. Real test will be the weekend, when its like an automatic switch clicks on and i have only one thing in my mind and turn into a man possessed.

Comment

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. The weekends are always tough, especially the first one, but maybe you could make a plan now. I try to stay very busy on the weekends...errands, chores, etc. Nothing too exciting, but it keeps me busy and out of trouble. Plus, all those things I've been putting off are finally getting done And stick close to us. The self-loathing and anxiety will subside eventually. Your body is detoxing. Your mind is detoxing. Give it just a bit of time, okay? We're here. Reach out if you need us.
                      Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Cool Nice one a plan is what i was trying to create. Was thinking of going to pictures friday to see a film adaptation of irvine welsh book called filth, which ironically main character is an alcoholic drug addict cop!! Problem being the only alcohol free cinema i know of hasnt got it yet!! Saturday im going to get my mountain bike serviced, something iv been putting off because i always wake up sat morning and start drinking or im up still drinking. In the evening was going to cook something iv not done in a long time and sunday out for at least 10/15 miles on bike. Even if i managed one and sober id be very happy.

Thanks for suggesting a plan and support its much appreciated, dont get much from mates brother thr just as bad with alcohol or at vleast be if they had the money to do so. Only really girlfriend and parents give wholehearted support.

Its the start of the weekend 9am not really thnkn of drink, but when that clock turns five it may be a brutal battle with my mind. Maybe i shud get some more hours in at work and work waay past the 5pm mark and see if tht helps.

Comment

FAILED!!! Stayed late at work and had a call from a friend askin to set up thr laptop for connection to the intrnet. Immediately offered me a beer and duly accepted. Only positive i can take from that is that i only had one and then declined to go the pub instead opting for a moviefest n munchies with the good woman.

Pretty dissapointed as i was in a shitty mood and had racing thoughts about getting blasted after i came home.

But at least it was only one and think having 5pm 30mg dose of mbaclofen on me helped. One question is why cant i do "normal" shit like that all the time??

Fucking frustrates me

Comment

Try to think of the success rather than beating yourself up. You had one, then you switched it off. Hope you and your GF had a great time at the movies. Get your bike fixed tomorrow, do some grocery shopping and wow her with a nice meal. Stick with the plan. Keep us posted!
                            Newbies Nest
                            Toolbox
                            My accountability thread

Comment

Gene, was Filth any good? I read the book, wanna see it! You stopped at one beer, it could have been so much worse.
                              Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Working...
                              X