Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask the trainer

Hi, Chief

I'm back to eating the food I grew up on rather than the food I've eaten for most of my adult life (which coincided almost exactly with the mandate for everyone to eat a low fat, high carb diet).

So, I'm now really enjoying what I eat - eggs, meat, butter, full-fat dairy, "good" fats, tons of vegetables, some fruit - Eating is fun again .

Comment

Ask the trainer

Hey Londoner --
      want to give free advice and have your middle-age MWO friends loving you? What do you think about suggesting one workout that we should all try to do 3X in a week. Then we could write back and tell you how miserable, I mean great, we feel. Anything to get me motivated to get away from the computer and into the gym (rowed for 25 minutes, followed by short weight session).

I'm enjoying this thread!
      Free at Last
      "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
      http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Ask the trainer

He is probably hiding from us now :H!

Comment

Ask the trainer

You are probably right!
          Free at Last

Comment

Ask the trainer

Hola, hola. Sorry guys been busy with work. So I'm out of hiding

Chief - the calorie sum is legit. But as you say, it is not as simple as the make out. Your metabolism is moving about all over the place. I really try to emphasise the importance of hormonal health - leptin, insulin and cortisol in particular as these have a massive impact on hunger, fat storage energy etc. Which funnily enough all affect daily energy balance.

So, here is a quick program for you all to try. Obviously I do not know what level any of you are at or if you have any mobility issues, but this is a good start. Make sure you use a weight that allows you to complete all reps with good technique. The weight is too light if you complete the reps and you could have done more than 1-2 extra reps. The weight is too heavy if your technique breaks down.

A1 - Steps ups x 12 reps on each leg (rest 30-60secs)
            A2 - Barbell overhead press x 12 reps (rest 30-60secs)

Repeat for a total of 3 times

B1 - Deadlift or Leg curl machine x 12 reps (30-60secs rest)
            B2 - Dumbell bent over row or seated row machine x 12 reps each arm (30-60secs rest)

Repeat for a total of 3 times

C1 - Plank 30 seconds

Repeat 3 times with 30 seconds rest between each.

Cardio - any form

3 minutes warm up @ 6/10 effort

20 seconds of high intensity - 8/10 effort (breathing rate should be high and you should only be able to speak 2 words max before needing another deep breath)

40 seconds of low intensity - 6/10 (let breathing and energy recover)

Repeat 10 times

Followed by 10-20 minutes of low intensity steady state 6/10 (should be able to hold a conversation comfortably and heart rate should be between 120 and 150bpm)

Stretch

Comment

Ask the trainer

Londerer -- thank you so much for taking me up on my idea. I will commit to doing this routine 3X in the coming week and will report back to you.

Just as we have the AF roll call and the No Sugar challenge report in, I thought it would be good to have some kind of community commited to exercise and reporting in how we are doing. THANKs.

It's Friday, what's the plan for this weekend? Stay strong and focused.
              Free at Last

Comment

Ask the trainer

Hey, Londoner - thanks for the regimen!

You're right, Free - accountability is a good thing anytime we want to make a positive change.

I will give this a try, too, if I have access to weights next week while I'm traveling. If not, I'll do some things that work using body weight as the resistance and give this a try the following week. I can always do that 7 minute routine. Plus I'll be doing some hiking in the mountains and since I'm a flat-lander, the combination of the incline and lack of oxygen are going to make me feel like I've worked really hard whether I have or not!

So how are you doing, Londoner? The weekend is coming - do you have some plans that will enable you to stay away from all the partying? If you don't have a calmer crowd to hang around with, just come visit MWO, ok?

Have a good weekend!

Comment

Ask the trainer

My dentist shared his latest workout of just 7 minutes on a stationary bike: 2 minutes steady peddling, 1 minute fast as you can, repeat ending with high intensity. He says that his pulse rate has gone down, other numbers have also improved. He isn't trying to lose weight, just be in best possible condition. I'm plenty active with swimming, gardening and walking in good weather, but I might try his routine in the winter. I'm also in my late 50's.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Ask the trainer

Hi, Sunbeam

I've done that type of sequence on the bike and the elliptical. I like it much better than using those machines for 45 moderate minutes and I am breathing much harder, have a higher pulse rate (and am much sweatier!) after the interval work.

Comment

Ask the trainer

Guys, just a request. Can you change the colour of the text in your post to red when you've got a question for me so it stands out more

Thanks, and hope you all had a good weekend

Comment

Ask the trainer

Cool, great thread Londoner! I enjoy the daily check-in threads such as the AF and SF threads. I really like the idea of checking in here too, as LifeChange suggested over in the SF thread.

Just for the record, my basic outlook/plan is a bit out of the norm, a bit out of the mainstream, and some would call it just plain loony, but it works for me and I'm sticking with it for a while.

My diet could be described as sort of hybrid of SCD/paleo/juicing.

95% of the time (the other 5% being celebrations, slip ups, and cheat meals), I don't eat any sugar, processed foods, gluten, beans, or grains except for white rice. I do eat healthy fats such as butter, Omega 3 oil, avocado, coconut/MCT oil. I eat eggs, maybe twice a week, and I eat lean meats such as chicken and turkey, beef, bison, and elk, fish, and pork, all pastured/grass-fed/organic when I can get it. I juice tons of veggies and select fruits such as berries. For carbs, I eat select few complex carbs such as sweet potatoes and white rice. I eat nuts such as almonds and macadamia nuts and seeds such as pumpkin. I do eat a piece of dark chocolate (organic 85% cocao or above) per day.

I also follow the IF/LeanGains method with quite good results so far.

I make sure to get between 7-9 hours of sleep per night. I really try to guard my sleeping time ruthlessly so that nothing infringes on it. I'm trying to do that with exercise now, too.

For exercising, I do 3 days of heavy/intense lifting per week, of which I'm using a RPT (Reverse-Pyramid Training) method. I use 90% compound lifts (deadlift, squat, bench, pullups) and add the occasional targetted muscle exercise. On off days I'm trying to get in the habit of doing just a little bit- stretching, then 20 min of yoga, 3 min of jumproping to improve cardio, and abs exercises. Or some combination of those. Then on Sundays, I do 8-10 hill sprints for HIIT.

I supplement with Vit C, D, B, Creatine, Cal/Mag/Zinc, fiber, and protein shakes.

I've been doing the above for about 4 or 5 months and have lost a lot of fat and put on a lot of muscle. I test my blood regularly and my labs all look really good.
                        I'm really seeing for the first time in my life how dedication to health (not to mention sobriety) contributes to a healthy mind, spirit, and self. One really affects and informs the other.

Lastly, my worst craving foods tend to be pizza and donuts. (And beer, but I'm working on that too).

I just moved to a new city and I have a meeting with a trainer at a gym today at 8pm- the move has caused me to miss training for 2 full weeks which is waaay too long. No more. I jump into training tonight! I must commit to it and make the time for it every day. After two weeks of no training, my re-entry is gonna hurt... more than usual

I'll check in tomorrow and post how it went...

Comment

Ask the trainer

Skullbaby - you sound pretty much on track.

The best diet and exercise plan is the one you can stick to AND gets you results.

Keep it up

Comment

Ask the trainer

Hi Londoner,
                            Wanted to let you know I did your suggested workout -- man was it work! I got sweaty, which doesn't usually happen during my long duration, moderate workouts. And, it didn't take that much time. I know I said I would do 3x in one week but my hotel situation got a little messed up. Ended up in a B&B with no gym access for 3 nights. But, I still have tomorrow and Friday to get in a workout. THANKS!
                            Free at Last

Comment

Ask the trainer

Good to hear free That's how weights should make you feel.

Comment

Ask the trainer

Londoner;1566377 wrote: Skullbaby - you sound pretty much on track.

The best diet and exercise plan is the one you can stick to AND gets you results.

Keep it up
                                Thanks, Londoner So as not to hijack your Ask the Trainer thread, I thought I'd post this into a more general fitness "Daily Checkin" thread, too... https://www.mywayout.org/community/f6...eck-81462.html

Comment

Working...
                                X