Skullbaby's Fitness Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One other thing- I'm wondering if the hives that come to bother me sometimes are a product of painkillers/NSAIDs like Advil/ibuprofen. That would make sense time-wise, roughly speaking. I took ibuprofen during my hangover on Tuesday, and that's around when they showed up. I took it again yesterday because of back soreness and they seemed to flare up again.

OK new plan- NO MORE painkillers of any kind for the next month, and be on the lookout for hives. Hopefully getting rid of the NSAIDs will correspond with no more hives.

Comment

Update- Did 10 hill sprints (5 moderate, 5 hard) on Sunday. Monday was rest day. Today, back to the gym. I may be changing my lifting slightly so as to try to cut fat instead of build muscle, but I need to look into that more before I decide.

Lower back is sore today from too much sitting while working. I need to get into the habit of standing/walking while I work.

Hives seem to have been gone for a couple days now... I've been off both NSAIDs and dark chocolate. I'll stay off them both for another month or so, then re-introduce one or the other to see if either brings back the hives.

Sleep has been restless the last few nights. Need to drink less coffee after 2 pm...

Weight still plateued at 199. I've decided to nix Bulletproof Coffee for a while since it was probably adding about 600+ calories to my morning. I may sign up for an online trainer to help me dial in my macros in an attempt to cut weight. 199 lbs and no sign of reducing, really has me bumming. I'd like to see what it feels like to be at 170...

Anyway, off to do some reading up on how to lift when on a cut.

Comment

Copied/pasted from another thread, just for completeness's sake.

lifechange;1572173 wrote:

Skull, I was wondering if you're perhaps not eating enough complex carbs? What about adding a few more grains/legumes to your diet? Early on in the day or after your work outs? I know your're following a fairly strict nutrition plan-- is that for losing weight? Just curious from reading your fitness thread-- which I love to read!
        Thanks, Life- yes, the strict nutrition plan is for losing fat but while hopefully preserving muscle. It's basically a juiciing/paleo hybrid for the most part, but I do throw in sweet potatoes, yams, rice, and very occasionally gluten free bread for complex carbs, particularly when I feel my energy low, like you described. I am starting to be able to determine the difference between sugar withdrawal, which feels like that crazy "low blood sugar crash"- more like a drug withdrawal, actually. Low carb (keto fatigue) feels more like I'm just really tired after a long day, even if the day's only partly over. So, to answer the question, yeah I do carbs most days, mostly in the form of rice. I'm trying to cut those a bit though, so I only do them on workout days, as that should help me shed some fat.

Comment

Day 8 of Rock diet and things are starting to feel more balanced. I've had a few days of crazy sugar withdrawals- feeling lightheaded and a little chilly/sweaty, like i need a "fix". The feeling I'd used to refer to as "low blood sugar" was actually more aptly just "sugar withdrawals". I'm past those for the most part, I think.

As I mentioned above, I'm going to try to not eat carbs (aside from the fruits/veggies) on rest days, and only eat "safe" complex carbs on training days, as I'm hoping that'll be more conducive to cutting fat.

Almost bitched out on my training yesterday, due to a day super full with tons to do, but I made myself go at about 7 pm, which I'm happy I followed through on (putting workouts/health as priority #1 in my mind is the only way I can really follow-through). Glad I did, I had a good solid squat/bench/back workout. Did some solidly high weight, though could have done more but was not using safety bars so I figured "safety first" and I went about 20-40 lbs less than my max.

Lower back and hips, mostly on right side, very sore today... gotta make sure to do ample stretching, ESPECIALLY after my workouts, which I never do. And/or bedtime. Stretch, fool! STRETCH.

Side note- the gym at night is a whole different thing- very busy and loud. Individual training sessions, group sessions, even middle-age women's boxing group- everyone from teenagers to grandmas to ripped fighting machines. It's loud, intense. The attitude there is such that nobody's interested in being too friendly or chatting, outside of their own clicques. That's cool though, everyone is there for the same reason I am- to focus on training. That said, there seems to be a little bit of attitude, like "Look at the newbie. Whatever".

It could just be my insecurity around being in a new location/community. Even if I'm not imagining it, that's OK too. My tendency to want to have people like me is something I really want to change- it's a weak and submissive quality that I want to shed. I notice it at the gym and in other situations, particularly in ones in which I'm new to the environment or community. I even drive that way- wanting to make sure I drive without offending others, like trying to avoid road rage in others. It's all fear-based and looking for way too much acceptance. As for the gym, I need to remind myself that I shouldn't need everyone to be my pal- nothing wrong with doing my own thing in my own little corner. Less bullshit to deal with that way.

One way I want to do that, to foster the spirit of confidence, assertiveness, and squash my inner creampuff who craves everyone's acceptance, is through aggressive sports like Krav and boxing instruction. I expect these to be difficult but rewarding, not only from a physical point of view but more importantly mental/emotional.

At the gym last night, the boxing training was loud and looks very focused and intense- I'm looking forward to getting into that. Though I've decided not to add anything new to my plate til Jan 2014-- the rest of this year is about completing old tasks, stuff I've needed to finish, complete, and move on from, for years- time to follow through. Finishing what I've started and then moving on. It's going to feel so good to get rid of all that baggage... Out with the old, in with the new.

Comment

Back after about 10 days... which consisted of 3 binge nights, subsequent hangovers, shitty food, and little or no working out.

I'm re-committing to health as of today- 30 days minimum (shooting for 90, though giving myself "cheat days" for food- on Thanksgiving day, Xmas Eve/Day).

Day 1 of Rock diet/working out.

Today, weighed in at 204 lbs. A bunch of that is a sugar spike, so tomorrow it'll be back around 200, which is where I've been sitting for weeks. Over the last couple weeks I've learned more about counting macros- weighing food/calories. I've got a scale and an app to make it easier. I'm going to shoot for between 1700-2000 calories max per day, which should put me at a slight but still comfortable deficit. I'm shooting to lose a nice, slow, consistent 1 to 1.5 lbs per week. I'm going to favor healthy fats, veggies, proteins, and some added complex carbs on workout days.

Back to the gym today to get back to the weights. Lifting more simply now- only 2-3 lifts per workout, in a RPT method as outlined here 'Three Day Split RPT' Routine | RippedBody.jp and here Achieving the Warrior Physique Part 2 - Training | Kinobody Fitness Systems

(I'm quite aware that it'll take me years, not months, to come anywhere close to the pictures on those sites, but anyway... gotta start somewhere). And that's today...

Comment

Day 4 of healthy living and feeling good. Weighed in this morning at 198 lbs, so the sugar spike/water weight seems to have fallen off, and I expect to see the weight come off slower from here. Assuming I'm super diligent, probably a pound a week, two at most. I'm viewing every 5 lbs as a milestone, every 10 as a BIG milestone. Just as I'm viewing every week as a milestone and every 30 days as a BIG milestone. Seems to help me to view it in chunks like this. While I'm on this "cut", my ultimate overall goal is to get down to a lean 170. I'd be leaner than probably any time in my life, ever! But, a day at a time is the best way to focus. Going from 200 to 170 is sure unlikely to happen in 90 days anyhow, it'd probably take closer to 6 months, again, assuming ultimate dedication to the protocols.

I've been learning to count my macros using the scale and app, and I'm really liking it so far- it appeals to my OCD need for detail and documentation. I'm shooting for right around 1760 calories per day and have been doing good hitting that so far. It keeps me just barely satiated, but enough that I don't go crazy and binge.

Workout wise, I've switched to the RPT style workout while on this cut. From all my reading, this will be the best way to maintain all the muscle I've gained over the past few months while on this calorie deficit cut. (I obviously want my body burning fat, not muscle).
              Saturday was squats and pullups- worked to 80-90% effort- I was hit all my upper rep counts (just barely). That means I'll be increasing them next week. I can now do 4-5 pullups, which makes me happy just because a few months ago, I could do 0.

Very sore yesterday but feeling good today. Back to the gym for bench press and dips today. Speaking of gyms, I tried out a new gym that's closer to my house just cuz I'm getting tired of the drive to the other gym. This one is an OLD SCHOOL gym. Built in the early-mid 40's. All the equipment was welded by hand! ANd their dumbbells are the old round spherical kind, like circus strongman style. Old, crusty dudes working out there, along with young guys and a few elite powerlifters. It was grungy as HELL- like if Mick, from the Rocky movies, had a weightlifting gym instead of a boxing gym. The weightlifting champions on the wall are all faded photos from the 40s to 60s- "golden era bodybuilders". The place has a charm to it, and I sorta like it. The owner was friendly, showed me around... A couple guys were friendly and chatty with ,me, talking a bit of shop. Definitely a friendlier vibe than the hardcore other gym, so I may switch membership, though the other gym has boxing and more elite bodybuilding training that I may take advantage of when I'm more advanced.

OK, off to the gym, then Chipolte for a big ass burrito bowl. 500-770 calories including proteins, fats, and complex carbs. Yum.

Comment

Day 7 of healthy living. Feeling pretty great. I notice I am insanely responsive now to things like exercise, food, and coffee, any stimulants or sweetness etc. in foods. I always thought people were kind of deluding themselves when they said things like "vegetables can be delicious" or "exercise endorphins can feel amazing, like a high". Turns out that now that I'm free of alcohol and junk food, it's all true and I feel it all immensely and acutely now. It rocks. Not that i'm eating sugary desserts right now, but the last time I did, I had a few bites of sugary pie, and had what felt like a body orgasm. Sorry if TMI but wow it was amazing- it felt like the body high you get with orgasm. Intense. It really felt like dosing on a recreational drug, which of course it kind of is. So I won't do that very often. But regular foods themselves provide a lot of pleasure now. Berries and fresh fruit are like candy explosions. I also feel really insanely happy after a workout, and while drinking coffee.

So, I thought I'd get all that down in my fitness journal, to remind my future self of all this in the case that I'm wanting to fall off the wagon, either with alcohol or with junk food (and one always leads to the other). Don't do it, jackass. Healthy living is much better.

Fitness wise- feeling in the groove. Did a whole week of RPT lifting, including deadlifts yesterday. I can do 5 or 6 pull ups now depending on the wide/close grip, and about 15-20 dips. All my lifts are improving, and I'm feeling nicely sore for a day or two after a workout, but in that good way. The way that feels like my body repairing itself, making myself stronger. I'm even noticing my muscles growing and my body fat shrinking. I can physically feel it and visually see it, a little bit.

Body weight today- 199 lbs. Ate too many carbs the last couple days. Since I'm on a cut, I'll focus on getting more calories from healthy fats/proteins/veggies and restrict my carbs a little more- to approx 100g per day, maybe a touch less. Just enough to keep my energy and feel good but not store fat. Learning all this about counting macros etc is really informative and I'm liking it a lot.

Last thing to mention is that the soreness in my lower back and hips, mostly on my right side, is still noticeable, though better through doing more stretching and yoga. I've decided to do yoga on all my off days. So, I'll be doing something active every single day. It'll look something like this-

Sun- sprints/cardio
                Mon- weights
                Tus- yoga
                Wed- weights
                Thurs- yoga
                Fri- weights
                Sat- yoga or off

Or some variation of this. 3 days lifting, 2-3 days yoga, 1 day cardio.

I'm keeping physical exercise and healthy nutrition as priority #1. Every single day, dude, every single day. That's the only way I'll do it.

Comment

Day 9- hopefully there's something to this macros thing after all. Today the scale finally dropped a bit- 195.6 lbs. Nice!

Comment

Fantastic, Skull! You're doing a great job staying focussed, meeting your goals and tweaking you plan when necessary-- fine-tuning, I should say. I hear you with the natural high! I've also been lifting weight a lot more-- and concentrating on constructive cardio and doing yoga a few times a week. Cut out gluten and dairy and I feel sooo good! It's such incentive to keep on going, isn't it? Thanks for sharing and keeping up this thread!!

Comment

Day 10- 194.6 lbs. The scale is dropping nicely, finally. That makes me very happy. When I hit the 190lb mark, that'll be the first time I've been at that weight in probably... 10 years at least. Even my 36waist jeans are feeling loose. I can't wait to hit 34....32... 30?!? That'd be a total trip. (At my biggest I think I bought 40inch waist jeans... or maybe it was 42?) Anyways, a lot of my clothes are pretty big and saggy now- my belts are using holes that they haven't seen in years... I'll likely have to buy new clothing soon. Wowsers.

The MyFitnessPal app recommends that for a man of my size, I probably eat 2200-2400 calories/day to maintain my big weight, so to lose weight, they're recommending 1760, which is between a 15-20% decrease. As I understand it, that's on the higher-yet-safe end of a calorie deficit. It is on the aggressive side, though. I've been clocking in right around 1800 most days, and I'm happy with that. I'll continue to do it for the rest of November (giving myself a big carb/calorie refeed on Thanksgiving, of course). Maybe I'll do a week of higher calories early December, as I've read that helps, then back on my cut diet through the end of the year and into January.

I've noticed that keeping my carbs under 100grams requires me to be more focused than I thought- my veggie juice alone has 30 grams. Adding other veggies etc gets me close to 100grams already. MyFitnessPal, along with my food scale, has really been helpful to figure all this out. How did people do all this, before digital technology??

I feel really good off of sugar and gluten, and regulating my calories/protein/carbs etc.. Some days I feel so incredibly focused, it's like I'm on a drug. Focused sobriety/health does actually work, who woulda thought... Some days, the focus/energy is so intense, I feel like a fitness charicature, like Rob Lowe on Parks and Recreation. It makes me want to read that book "Spark", about the mind-exercise connection (I've got it downloaded, I think I'll start it tonight). I've noticed that sometimes I'm going a mile a minute, and I need to slow down a bit. Like I need to consciously slow down a bit to talk with my GF, who's at a more "normal" level of energy, cuz otherwise I'll drive her crazy. It's good to feel the energy level of others and try to match them when in conversation.

Exercise-wise, I had a good day on Friday. Added 10 lbs to my bench, and topped out just under my rep goal, so I know I'm at just about the right weight. I also decided to add shoulder presses, as I'd like to build my shoulders (eventually looking for that "V" shaped taper...) Worked to near-exhaustion and was hardly sore at all the next day... must mean my body is taking well to exercise. I've been slacking on the yoga, missed it two days in a row now. My lower back/hips are not happy. I'll give them a big stretch today. Also today is cardio/sprints... I'm not looking forward to doing them. I just want to skip them. But, like with most things I procrastinate on, it probably means I should make sure to make them a priority. Make it so!

Best to all.

Comment

One other note... I've been looking forward to adding some form of martial arts, starting early next year. I've found quality schools for both Krav Maga and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in my city, as well as traditional boxing instruction... I'm looking forward to doing something fun and useful with this strength I'm building. I'm also interested in aerial circus, which is much more artistic/beauty focused but would really develop strength/flexibility/balance. Though I think I'll do that after spending some time with an aggressive martial art, as that will help me on my quest to further build the self-confidence I'm looking for. Anyway, just looking towards the future on those, as I've pledged not to add anything new til next year, giving me time to finish a bunch of random stuff in my life that needs finishing.

Comment

lifechange;1583487 wrote: Fantastic, Skull! You're doing a great job staying focussed, meeting your goals and tweaking you plan when necessary-- fine-tuning, I should say. I hear you with the natural high! I've also been lifting weight a lot more-- and concentrating on constructive cardio and doing yoga a few times a week. Cut out gluten and dairy and I feel sooo good! It's such incentive to keep on going, isn't it? Thanks for sharing and keeping up this thread!!
                          Thanks, Life! I appreciate your comments Good on you for lifting as well as cardio/yoga. What kind of lifting routine do you do? Glad you're feeling good on a similar eating plan as I am! As for my staying focused... the only reason I'm able to do so is that I found the right combination of tools to stay sober. For a couple years prior, I'd undo all my fitness progress, every single week, with a couple beer binges (and subsequent hangover/junk food binges) every week. it was 1 step forward, 1 step back, for literally like a year. Right now, I'm just not giving myself the option AT ALL to drink, via Antabuse, and that's made all the difference.

Comment

Skull, I did EXACTLY the same thing! I would have such great workouts and would feel great and then I'd f*** it up with alcohol. I'd be ok for the first 3-4 days, then drink and be back to square one a week or 2 later. I thought I'd go insane! I did that until 71 days ago!! I've only been back into focussed working out for about a week and a half. Like we've experienced, the sugar and unhealthy carbs was also doing a job on my body. I didn't have enough energy on that roller coaster. I'm doing a fairly standard split with biceps/back, legs, chest/triceps, gluts/shoulders, abs every couple of days-cardio 2x week, yoga at home. I'm still trying to find out what works out best for me-- I have to be flexible because I don't have so much time when my kids are with me (I have dual custody with their father). Anyway, I feel like a thousand bucks! And I hope you keep posting your dailies, so I can continue to steal ideas from you!!:H

Comment

I'm hiding from exercise. I'm in the Fitness Protection Program.....Ha! (Not really....Tony ) Keep up the good work !
                              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                              Dr. Seuss

Comment

IAD;1583592 wrote: I'm hiding from exercise. I'm in the Fitness Protection Program.....Ha! (Not really....Tony ) Keep up the good work !
                                Ha, that is hilarious! At least the dawg is getting some exercize Thanks for posting, Tony!

Comment

Working...
                                X