Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many vices should you give up at once?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^ did you see my post? I think we both posted at the same time! ^^

I am on day 30 AF today (yay) and am dieting at the same time and am finding one seems to support the other... A goal towards overall better health BUT if one thing has to fail, it would be the diet as alcohol is my main focus. The book I used for smoking did not require any willpower at all which is why I mentioned it. Good luck in whatever you decide to do xx
    AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

LOL! Our posts crossed again!
      Sorry the book didn't work for you :-(
      Hmm, if you are motivated - why not give it a shot? If it becomes too difficult or you have the desire to drink again then retry quitting smoking at a later time. Protect your drink-quit first IMHO x
      AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Wine-no!;1568803 wrote: LOL! Our posts crossed again!
        Sorry the book didn't work for you :-(
        Hmm, if you are motivated - why not give it a shot? If it becomes too difficult or you have the desire to drink again then retry quitting smoking at a later time. Protect your drink-quit first IMHO x
        Thx, great advice. Seems so simple- why not try and if you can't you can't I think that angle was somehow escaping me a bit. Much appreciated.

Comment

Day 44 AF comes first...working on the sugar issue...hard one too..gave up smoking a long time ago..not easy either..so I say one at at time and work on the sugar thing a little at a time
          Dottie
          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

One at a time Tom. And just crowd out your day with good things - as in good habits and food - and let the shit stuff drop away. Just my thoughts and what has worked for me

Comment

Thx, Dottie. I'm with ya.

Comment

myhappyplace;1568857 wrote: One at a time Tom. And just crowd out your day with good things - as in good habits and food - and let the shit stuff drop away. Just my thoughts and what has worked for me
                Love the idea and the wording. Gonna write it down for tomorrow, much appreciated.

Comment

Tom - I just posted about quitting smoking. But I had to tackle my AL addiction first. That was the key for me. Trying to do both at the same time may have pushed me over the edge. Once AL was out of my life, I started taking much better care of myself...eating right, meditation, just a whole lot more self-care in general. Then I started to think - wow, I feel so much better, imagine if I gave up smoking too. And I did. But again, it was one step at a time. But I'm sorry - caffeine and I are still best friends. LOL.
                  Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Thx, Moss. How long was it between when you stopped drinking and then tackled smoking if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Tom, I joined MWO in May with the true intent to get sober. I've had a few epic falls since then, the last being on Aug. 24th (which I emotionally posted about.) So while I have been sober most of the time for the last 5 months, I can only claim six weeks straight, if my math is any good So it's hard to say. I guess I'm going to cheat and say 5 months, because that's when my heart and soul committed to changing my life. Hope this helps.
                      Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Very much so, thx

Comment

A couple of years ago I decided to stop smoking, and realised that I would never be able to do that while still drinking. Gave up both and managed to stop drinking for quite a while, but not smoking. Then I started drinking again - so so so stupid.
                          I'm on Day 2 here, and had thought of quitting the two at the same time - sort of two withdrawals for the price of one. Not working thus far. So, my current plan is to get a few more AF days under my belt [insert evil pun grin here!], then work on the smoking.
                          14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Only you know your strength of will at the moment, but you dont want to end up loosing the will to live so to speak then crash and burn. Making positives steps in your life will connect all the bad things you feel you do to yourself then I would guess pick them off slowly one at a time even if it takes a while there is no rush is there. I gave up drugs, them smoking now alcohol over 10 years and I feel like I am living a different life now which I am. I would like to exercise more and eat healthier but thats just normal most people want to do thst. I would imagine even people that live well exercise have great jobs look in the mirror and think I wish I could do this ? Or just think lifes fucking great init lol
                            Its easier not to start than stop

Comment

DreamThinkDo;1569018 wrote: A couple of years ago I decided to stop smoking, and realised that I would never be able to do that while still drinking. Gave up both and managed to stop drinking for quite a while, but not smoking. Then I started drinking again - so so so stupid.
                              I'm on Day 2 here, and had thought of quitting the two at the same time - sort of two withdrawals for the price of one. Not working thus far. So, my current plan is to get a few more AF days under my belt [insert evil pun grin here!], then work on the smoking.
                              Yea, in that case i would definitely wait. I can't imagine trying to quit smoking during withdrawals, you are brave for even trying. If i tried that someone would have to tie me to a tree for everyones protection, lol.

Comment

gmc38609;1569025 wrote: Only you know your strength of will at the moment, but you dont want to end up loosing the will to live so to speak then crash and burn. Making positives steps in your life will connect all the bad things you feel you do to yourself then I would guess pick them off slowly one at a time even if it takes a while there is no rush is there. I gave up drugs, them smoking now alcohol over 10 years and I feel like I am living a different life now which I am. I would like to exercise more and eat healthier but thats just normal most people want to do thst. I would imagine even people that live well exercise have great jobs look in the mirror and think I wish I could do this ? Or just think lifes fucking great init lol
                                Good advice, thank you, and congrats on making those changes no matter how long it took. I guess it is typical that the same extreme mindset that drives some of us to brutal alcoholism works the other way as well. I know during one of my quits i ramped up the exercise to such a hard level that i was basically crippling myself and that defeats the purpose, doesnt it? So, yea, one at a time and slow and steady for me. Thx again.
                                Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X