Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many vices should you give up at once?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is something I have been wrestling with a lot lately. I'm 40 days into sobriety and really want to stop smoking and cut back on caffeine as well. There seem to be two schools of thought- the first is that cleaning up your secondary vices at the same time is important to your overall well being and will enhance your sobriety. The second is that taking on too much at once is potentially dangerous, that removing too many things that affect the brains pleasure centers makes focusing on sobriety that much harder. Curious to hear anyone's experience or thoughts . Thanks.

I am wondering about that too, Tom. In addition to being sober, I really want to quit smoking, lose weight, cut down on caffeine, and keep my house clean!
    I am putting sobriety first. Then I will set a date to quit smoking.
    Hopefully no hangovers will help with the caffeine intake. And not being in recovery mode all the time should help with my overall mood and energy levels.
    If I think about everything I need to do to fix my life at once, I become overwhelmed and discouraged. So I guess I have to get some sober time before thinking of anything else.
    Day 1 again 11/5/19
    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

endo man

Tom321;1568694 wrote: This is something I have been wrestling with a lot lately. I'm 40 days into sobriety and really want to stop smoking and cut back on caffeine as well. There seem to be two schools of thought- the first is that cleaning up your secondary vices at the same time is important to your overall well being and will enhance your sobriety. The second is that taking on too much at once is potentially dangerous, that removing too many things that affect the brains pleasure centers makes focusing on sobriety that much harder. Curious to hear anyone's experience or thoughts . Thanks.
      I quit smokeless tobacco after 32 years of use about 3 months ago, and that was the hardest thing I ever tried to do. I also quit using alcohol after 35 years of abuse, the last 25 years very heavy, every night drinking! The only saving grace thru all of this is diet and exercise.
      t.d.
      PS., I quit alcohol 3 weeks ago this Thursday.

Comment

My vices:

- AL
        - Caffeine
        - Sugar/processed food

When I start giving the body what it wants/needs those three vices go away naturally.

Comment

I hear ya Tom321. I quit smoking in August only to dabble in it just a little bit after 30 days smoke free.
          My high blood pressure requires that I don't smoke, but I'm trying to quit drinking and smoking simultaneously. Not fun!
          *edited to add: I only smoke 4-5 cigarettes/day.

Comment

It is a tricky one. When I quit drinking the sugar cravings were horrible, I was eating children's cereal lol. I wondered if it would ever go away but now I'm fine as far as that goes, it's a non issue. It's just intimidating because I feel better than I have in forever and cutting those two things out is an invitation to feel awful but that has to be balanced out against the health issue. Still debating.

Comment

Personally, I'd go for one thing at a time, otherwise it would just get so overwhelming that you were cutting out so much so quickly. That said, I've never managed to cut anything out for any length of time, so what do I know!

Comment

I hear ya, Mlisa...but when is it time to attack the others?

Comment

I would guess when you feel you've got a strong grip on one, then start on the next.

Comment

I think I agree with you

Comment

The AL is the key to it all. If you're drinking, then you'll no doubt be smoking & then hitting the caffeine the next day to get you through until the drinking starts again. That's my view anyway.

Comment

I am not a smoker, but I cant imagine trying to do it all at one time. I think I may go looney tune for real. Id do one then the other.
                        AF 10/21/2013...ODAT :kudos:

Comment

Hi
                          I used to smoke 30 a day.... I really, really liked smoking... I knew I should give up but didn't want to. I saw my cousin who used to chain smoke and he looked so much better - he always used to look grey... I asked him why/how he was looking so well and he told me he quit smoking! I couldn't believe it. The next day he gave me the book 'easy way to quit smoking' by Allen Carr. I didn't want to quit but it said I could keep smoking whilst reading it so I thought I may as well at least see what it said. I read the book from cover to cover in one go - a couple of hours - I had to force myself to smoke that last cigarette. That was over 20 years ago and I couldn't even think of smoking now - the idea repulses me! It was easy... I passed it to my friend and her and both her parents also gave up smoking! I tell you this because I didn't feel any desire to smoke after reading that book... No cravings and no hardship - I just quit! Maybe it's worth a read?
                          :hug:

Edited to add that I had previously attempted quitting and had to lock myself in the toilet and heavy breathe as the cravings were so strong... That book hypnotised me... Totally changed my thinking.
                          AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Absolutely. I tried during one of my quits to do both at the exact same time and felt like I was coming apart at the seams. I agree they need to be attacked seperately..I feel good about where I am at sobriety wise and I am motivated as hell to stop smoking...but it's intimidating and who's to say that in a year I will feel any differently than I do right now? And I definitely don't want to keep smoking for a year.

Comment

Wine-no!;1568793 wrote: Hi
                              I used to smoke 30 a day.... I really, really liked smoking... I knew I should give up but didn't want to. I saw my cousin who used to chain smoke and he looked so much better - he always used to look grey... I asked him why/how he was looking so well and he told me he quit smoking! I couldn't believe it. The next day he gave me the book 'easy way to quit smoking' by Allen Carr. I didn't want to quit but it said I could keep smoking whilst reading it so I thought I may as well at least see what it said. I read the book from cover to cover in one go - a couple of hours - I had to force myself to smoke that last cigarette. That was over 20 years ago and I couldn't even think of smoking now - the idea repulses me! It was easy... I passed it to my friend and her and both her parents also gave up smoking! I tell you this because I didn't feel any desire to smoke after reading that book... No cravings and no hardship - I just quit! Maybe it's worth a read?
                              :hug:

Edited to add that I had previously attempted quitting and had to lock myself in the toilet and heavy breathe as the cravings were so strong... That book hypnotised me... Totally changed my thinking.
                              Thanks, Wine-no. I've read it twice, lol. I have no doubt I can quit I just know it's a tough fight and do I want to fight it 40 days into sobriety when I am feeling pretty damn good.

Comment

Working...
                              X