Six month check in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Six month check in

It's been six months since I joined MWO and I think it's time for a bi-annual check in. I've been thinking a lot lately about how important MWO has been in my continuing struggle to beat my addiction to alcohol. But there is another thing I have started to notice, and I need to share it with you all.

When we first join, we are very vocal. We share our stories, we get support, we stay connected, and accountable. I probably drove you all nuts in those early days, but I was drowning and you all threw me a lifeline and pulled me to shore. There are no words to describe my gratitude. But after several months, it's been easy to fall into a routine...welcome new members, cheer on or console old friends, or post a quick update in the nest. And while each post is sincere, it's also easy to quit doing the most important thing, and that is to remain accountable to ourselves and others. My friends, I feel that has happened to me. So much has changed in my life in the past six months - some good, some bad, and some I can barely talk about. But the journey has been so worth it. For each fall, there have been months of sobriety. Days that I cherish.

Anyway, I've posted in the past about feeling like a hypocrite. Well, recently I have either had a breakdown, or a break-through depending how you look at it, but it has made me realize just how early in my recovery I really am. Here I am struggling each and every day, yet I'm too frightened to say it out loud. I never want to discourage anyone. But I'm also trying to live more authentically now, so I am just putting this out there and letting the chips fall where they may.

In the past few weeks, I have been struggling with some demons. It caught me totally by surprise. I was going along just fine, and then - wham - things I hadn't dealt with came back to haunt me. I posted a bit about it in the nest, but I really just skimmed around the edges. I'm not going to bore you with the details (I save those for my counselor) But I realized that I am still very fragile. I started having terrible anxiety that I couldn't control. I was in a dark place. So, about a week ago,I decided it was just too hard to deal with the difficult emotions, and thought a glass of wine sounded like a good idea. And for a few days, it stayed right there - a glass or two of wine. Well, you know how the story ends. I should have posted here first, but I thought I could handle it on my own. Now we can get into some real fun words - disgusted, nauseated, horrified, sad, pathetic, etc. I'm not too fond of myself right now. Which of course, is making the anxiety worse.

I have been told that I need to go on anti-anxiety meds. I have never taken them, or any anti-depressant, so don't know what to expect. I am leery. But I trust all of you, and if you think it is a good idea, I will consider it.

I am sorry if I let anyone down, but no one could be more disappointed in me than I am in myself. Well except for maybe my sons. I'm not drinking today. And my plan is to stop this madness again completely. But I had to tell you all the truth, and take my comeuppance. I deserve it. Please don't be kind. I want tough love. It will get me back on track.

xx,
    MossRose
    Everything is going to be amazing

Six month check in

Hi Moss and yep I did the same thing as you and feel like crap and disgusted and I too did as you and thought just a couple. Last night was horrendous in my household with my mother saying very hurtful things to me and my daughter. So what did i do, i drank. She is leaving and going back to Queensland where she lives. She is a very bitter and cranky woman and i just have to let her go. I cant fix her or be the daughter she wants. I am not a bad person, she is just very angry with her past life and obviously her current one.

This afternoon I am going to the doctors to get some anti depressants which I have been on and off for years. I take anti anxiety meds when needed and I find them fine although when I was not drinking AL i did not need them at all.

I think the only ones we truly let down are ourselves and we need to get back on it again and stay afloat. I know today is my journey to being AF and happy. I will join you for the ride Moss and we so need to keep on here. I need to learn to deal with stress and life without AL.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Six month check in

Hey Avail - so good to hear from you, but sorry things are stressful. I didn't realize your mom was still there. I thought she just came in for the wedding. Thanks for your take on anti-anxiety drugs. Maybe I won't need them, if I just get my sh*t together, right? Hang in there.

Comment

Six month check in

She has been here over a month Moss and its taking its toll on everyone. I want a happy chilled out mother not a negative, bitter old woman who i love with all my heart but she is very cruel with her mouth. Told my daughter the night before her wedding that her marriage will never work. Yep way to go!

I found when i gave up AL that i needed them badly but after the first week i was fine. I was afraid of the addiction thing (yes funny that) but I can take them when needed. We just need to get that determination back and I especially need to get the stress out.

Comment

Six month check in

OMG - a month of negativity. You poor thing. And your daughter will prove her wrong. Be strong, my friend We started this journey together and we'll do it together!

Yes - I'm worried about the addiction thing. I'm am an addict. WTH?

Comment

Six month check in

Mossy
            there's no such thing as letting anyone down here, I think that is a normal reaction for anyone who drinks again when there is so effort to stop, does so, and then drinks again. I know nothing of anti depressants or anti anxiety meds so I can't really say much to that. Just want to say hope all works out. I'm a PM away if you need it.
            Sam
            Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Six month check in

Thanks Sam. You've been a good friend through all of this. I'm hanging on by a thread tonight. You have helped. btw...I played violin all through my childhood. I stunk, but I loved it.

Comment

Six month check in

Hello, how is everyone? I have been struggling aswell. Today I took my son for a walk to the park first thing n the morning. I had to have a drink first, and i even brought some with me, but i did manage to stay sober until the afternoon (which hasnt happened in a loong time), but then lost control as soon as i got home. tomorrow my goal is to have 1 first thing( to get rid of shakes) and then go out again with my son but this time not bring anything with me, and stay out longer instead of going home to drink sooner. i cannot wait until i see my doctor so i ca get the help i need. but i will beat this thing

I hope you are ok Moss. hang in there.
                ?That's the problem with drinking,
                If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget;
                if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate;
                and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen.?
                ― Charles Bukowski
                :wings::wings:
                Days AF: 13 :h

Comment

Six month check in

Yes we will do it together Moss, let the days roll by. My mother is a challenge and we will see what happens, she has gone out and given me some space. Hopefully she will settle down and if not so be it. I need to be back on my meds and get my crap together. So day 1 AF today and I will not drink.

Comment

Six month check in

Hi Loveless, my head is thumping way too much to even contemplate drinking. I am more a 5pm drinker of wine until i pass out. Funny how we get into habits and they are so hard to break and so easy to get back into. Good luck and keep going, we can beat this addiction together.

Comment

Six month check in

I'm hanging in there Love. Thanks for asking. I am worried about you, though. I'm glad you took your son for a walk. Keep focusing on him. I will tell you one day about my sons, but trust me, you still have time to fix this before it is too late. I waited too long, Love, and I'm paying the price now. So kiss you son, and let your doctor help you get off this terrible drug, okay? And take care of yourself. You have RA. That is serious, so you need to be extra kind to yourself. Promise?

Comment

Six month check in

Mossy
                        do you still play? There's a lot of stuff on line to help
                        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Six month check in

I am trying as hard as i can, but im worried about having a seizure if i try to cut back too much..I had one a little while ago and ended up in the ER I do not want to put my family through that, but i know my drinking is killing them too....my son's even started to notice when i get the shakes....its heartbreaking.
                          ?That's the problem with drinking,
                          If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget;
                          if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate;
                          and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen.?
                          ― Charles Bukowski
                          :wings::wings:
                          Days AF: 13 :h

Comment

Six month check in

Don't own a fiddle anymore, Sam. But, hey - there's an idea. As long as my neighbors don't mind wearing ear plugs. I haven't played in a very long time. I live in an apartment now, remember. LOL.

Comment

Six month check in

Electric fiddle with headphones!
                              Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Working...
                              X