af Friday 6 December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af Friday 6 December

WOW ? lots of posts yesterday. Its 6.30pm and 23 degrees ? been a lovely day. But I was in a meeting all afternoon. Was a meeting I had to do a lot of preparation for and I was dreading it somewhat ? but I think it went really well. We had Post-meeting drinks but all very civilized. I actually enjoyed the drinks (ie the conversation) and had made sure beforehand that there was sparkling water on offer.

I see that some here are dreading Xmas a bit ? and also remembering past disasters. But no point in dwelling too much on the past ? and what an idiot you (or others) were. As Byrdie said ? in 4 weeks its all over. And we don?t want to have giving up the booze as a New Year?s resolution do we? Try not to get too hyped up about the pressure to drink ? but I think its good to post your feelings ? because even if the pressure is only coming from within ? it can niggle at us. Funny old thing is that we have different associations with Christmas ? according to where we live. Its summer here and so the emphasis is on BBQs, beer and quaffing wine. Some of you might be thinking more of wintery AL drinks. Whatever it is ? remind yourself that its all booze and we don?t put it in our bodies anymore. No festive celebration is so sacrosanct that you have to drink. I know alcoholic Catholics who take full mass and don?t drink the wine. Even in cultures where drinking is part of everyday life ? people accept that some adults can?t drink. I personally have faced far more questions about not eating meat at Christmas ? than not drinking AL.

So that's my blabber for the day ? I will leave it to others to throw in some personal greetings.

Really sad that Nelson Mandela passed away today ? even if he did have a ?good innings? as one Kiwi broadcaster said.

You all have a great Friday and keep posting if you have twitchy thoughts about AL ? or just general Christmas anxiety. Meanwhile I shall enjoy the warm weather :beach: and make you insanely jealous!!!

af Friday 6 December

Hi all,
    Well it's Friday night here, so tired.. the little one has gone on a swimming trip to another city.. yay, a night on my own.. not thinking of wine.. just food and films
    Written hundreds of reports during the week so can't even string a sentence together
    Have a great MAE everyone
    Back tomorrow
    x
    Pat

Comment

af Friday 6 December

Mandela was a really,really great man and the world is a far better place for having him in it. Sad day, but also a celebration of his life,what he achieved and his legacy.

Today is day 18 for me here, I am getting twitchy,having booze thoughts, I really want to be sober,and I have had a sober Christmas and New Year a few years ago and it was lovely. One day at a time, got my first counselling appointment today at 1pm, I'm really looking forward to it.

Apart from that today is gym,collecting a parcel, returning a parcel, rollerderby work then bit of Christmas shopping this evening and a curry tonight. Phew,I am maximising lazing about this morning!

I really want to put my tree up this weekend,floor should be all completed then,fingers crossed, I always have tree up by 1 December.Grateful that my home is safe and sound though,tidal surge hit UK yesterday and 41 severe flood warnings in force.
      Have a great day everyone.
      one day at a time

Comment

af Friday 6 December

Good morning Abbers!

Rain today but that's much better than the fierce snow & ice storms out west

RIP Nelson Mandela!
        The tributes to him on TV have been fascinating, he was a great man.

TT, turns out sober holidays really do rock, huh? :H
        Like everyone else I dreaded the first few but I got through & finally put the fear to rest

Patrice, hope you get some well deserved rest this weekend!

bear, YOU are in charge of your thoughts & feelings - choose the good ones!
        Hope your counseling appointment is helpful today.

I have lots & lots to do to keep me out of trouble today so I'll get going.
        Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Friday!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af Friday 6 December

Mae everybody,its my day off but i chose to get up at the usual time because ive decided sleeping in makes me groggy,tt i know its not good to dwell on the past but with all these christmas decs,commercials and stuff it kinda keeps popping up,i think youre right that it is good to write it out though kind of getting it out there and off my mind,its cold here,like 45 or something vegas usually isnt this bad! im never gonna take a hot day for granted again,its easy to cool down hard as hell to warm up! well hope everyone has a good friday
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

af Friday 6 December

MAE ALL....

Weather forecast...-27 windchill -40...:shocked: Not eager to head out the door.

Be well everyone....will check in from work. Could be interesting today, I think the account is going to be fired. I don't care one way or the other, just want to know if she's in the lottery pool or not...:HPPQP

Comment

af Friday 6 December

I'm right here with you in the cold PQ. Friggin' cold today! -40 windchill!! Can't even run across the street without my parka on.
              I am going to a SMART meeting tomorrow. I will let you know how that goes. hopefully it is good and I meet some people who can support me with being AF.
              Thanks to you all here that help me with that!
              Hey TT. Our drinks here in the cold are hot ones, like hot chocolate, coffee, tea and stuff like that. Of course people add all kinds of AL to these drinks. But not me cause "I don't drink!"
              Nice to have a day off Pauly, I could use one myself.
              Lav- have a great busy day.

Talk later,
              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

af Friday 6 December

hey all whizzing back in - really interesting and I got lots of homework,hourly activity diary,plotting when I have worry and if these are real or hypothetical,plotting how much I enjoy what I am doing.

We also talked about having worry time - 15 mins per day where I worry and I am not allowed to at any other time.

Looking forward to really getting stuck in,picked up parcel, not been to gym or done housework yet,feel tired and bit headachy. I've binned off shopping tonight and will at that time instead do cleaning and gym instead. Curry tonight too - yum!Bought more fizzy elderflower - booze substitute.Happy Friday brrr - feeling cold today.
                one day at a time

Comment

af Friday 6 December

Hi all couldn't get on internet earlier hope you are well. ..rip NM you did a lot for the world temperature here. ..a mere 82 degrees. ...tt didn't forget you on the thread. .big hiya to you all. .have a great weekend. ..stay with the no booze crew h.a.n.d
                  af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af Friday 6 December

Mick, I was just about to post FOR you, but I see you got on long enough to check in! 82*, huh? Most of the U.S. of A. is in a deep freeze! Enjoy your vacation and the warm climes, it's back to reality soon enough!! We miss you! Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

af Friday 6 December

That is really no fair. 82 degrees!!!
                      We are sooo freakin' cold!
                      Ok, PQ, we are gonna' have to build a fire
                      Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

af Friday 6 December

27F with snow here...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh
                        Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

af Friday 6 December

Mick has always been such a show off :H :H
                          Honestly Mick - we are all profoundly jealous of you & your 82 degrees right now!

I think the temp has dropped 20 degrees since I got up this morning but it's still just rain falling from the sky & for that I am grateful!

Hi Byrdie & Dottie!

PQ & Narilly, please be careful in that nasty weather, Brrrrrrr!

bear, I can't wait to see you get this worrying thing under control & you will, with practice

pauly, you & I must have opposite genetic makeups. I find it much easier to deal with the cold than the heat. Hot weather just shuts me down
                          Do you have a fireplace or a space heater?? :H

I don't feel like working anymore today SO -
                          I have some food in the crockpot for dinner later & am collecting my best vegan, gluten-free cookie recipes to get started on my holiday cookies - yay!
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af Friday 6 December

Lav,
                            I would love a good gluten-free cookie recipe. Celiac runs in my husband's family and they will be SO impressed with me at Christmas if I bring Gluten Free cookies that actually taste good!
                            Can you post it?
                            No prob. if you can't
                            Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

af Friday 6 December

Aloha Friday ABeroooooos!

holy snot, it's Friday already? how the heck did that happen? been super busy here but being at home takes the stress levels down several notches.

yepper, mighty cold in the high desert, single digit mornings every day lately.

I think the holidays are wacky and entertaining enough without the boozage. like when I went to burning man festival and was easily sober. so much sensory overload that booze would have just ruined my fun. so enjoy your families and savour the fact you will remember the fun the next day!

listened to a fascinating podcast where Dave interviews a shamanist that has educational background in neurology. what a combo! (it's podcast #79) The Bulletproof Executive — The State of High Performance

be well family
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                              X