Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought i could do it...

Hi there,

Ok, i posted a couple of weeks ago to say i'm going on the wagon. Don't get me wrong, i had every intention of fulfilling my wish and i thought about how i am going to do this. My conclusion was to gently cut down my drinking and when i get to around 25% of my normal intake i would call it a day so it wouldn't be as much of a shock to the system.

While i did manage to cut down a fair bit and was doing pretty well(a few times i managed to hang on until 9 pm which is pretty damn good going for me!) i have slowly begun to return to my old ways. I can't explain it (and i'm sure i don't have to!) but i always seem to give myself an excuse to have a drink, wether i've had a bad day and i need to chill out or i've had a good day and i think i deserve a drink! I can't bloody win!!!(excuses excuses i know!) its catch 22, i feel like c*$p because i got drunk last night which leads me to wan't another drink when i get home to feel better.

I feel guilty and, ashamed of myself in a way for being so damn weak, my head is in absolute bits and i don't know what to do. i think i have just accepted that i will always be a drinker but it is a constant struggle to keep it under control. I look forward to the day when i am strong enough to do it and leave a post saying "i've done it!"

i hope it will be soon,anyway enough waffling from me, i just felt i needed to talk. Even if it is to a computer screen!

best wishes everyone.

Lj.

Thought i could do it...

Re: Thought i could do it but i can't...

Just curious. Are you taking Topa?

Comment

Thought i could do it...

hi...

i knew that would get brought into it!

no, i am very limited on funds so can't really afford it. Not only that.. I can't explain it but i just don't believe in topa or campral or any of the other stuff thats out there. i know it sounds a little strange but thats just the way i feel! sorry!

Comment

Thought i could do it...

I know that you are limited on funds but are you taking any of the supplements at all? How are you eating, or are you drinking instead of eating? Believe me, I've had many days when I stop for one and pull a full shift, but you have to continue to make a decision to be better for yourself. At least try to get the kudzu and gaba. They will start to help. And plan decent meals. You CAN do this...each start is one step closer to success.

Comment

Thought i could do it...

hi cv.

no i'm not taking any supps, i think maybe i should look into it though. i'm eating pretty well, apart from the odd weekend when i go on a bender and i may not eat for 2 days.

i know i am getting closer to doing this but it feels like its taking an eternity to put it into action!

Comment

Thought i could do it...

hi- i'm no expert but i think you might be beating yourself up a bit too soon... You are in a guilt/drink cycle possibly and need to break it.I found this site a week ago and just seeing how many people are struggling and making it in different ways helped loads. I have had 2 drinks since i decided i have a problem and am proud of it
            Try to start again tomorrow and take one day at a time, don't stress if it goes wrong just keep trying to cut down and try the supps at least.

Comment

Thought i could do it...

Hey Lee!

It's your old buddy Kathy!!! If you look at some of the posts that CV has put up here on General Discussion(Yeah, some of them are some pretty heavy reading so you'd better be relatively sober!!:lol ) there are some REALLY incredible explanations as to why it is damn near impossible to stop drinking without the supps and without eating healthy and all of that!!! It's not just the topa, although I think the topa is great (even though I'm living proof that it isn't a magic bullet:rolleyes ). They're heavy going, but if you can read through some of them, you will see that beating yourself up isn't really the answer, kiddo!!! Your will power is probably stellar, baby, but it just takes more than that!!

I hope you will read some of the posts that CV has gathered and see if the info is helpful for you. I also hadn't put much stock into the kudzu and l-glut before, but when I had a bad sinus infection about 6 weeks ago and had to cut back on my topa because I REALLY couldn't think straight at all, I found that the kudzu and l-glut really helped pick up where the topa left off as far as helping with cravings.

Anyway, Lee, it is always good to hear from you, even when the news isn't the best, and I appreciate your honesty!!!

Hugs,
              Kathy

Comment

Thought i could do it...

lj57,
                First off, give yourself a little slack. You are not a great deal different than any of us. Some of us have been here for a year and not reached the goals we set. Just keep coming back, keep trying. That effort is worth it.
                Don't give up.
                Peace and Love,
                phil

Comment

Thought i could do it...

hi
                  I don't write often, but I have to respond!

I have been on the roller coaster ride for way too many years to begin to count. I have tried way too many things to count. I consider myself a strong person, self-determined, and very resourceful, but couldn't figure this one out. I have to tell you that for me, Topamax was a miracle. I tried so many different times to cut back, stop, change my schedule, yada, yada, yada. I just couldn't do it. I always ended up in the same darn place. When I got on the medicine, after I got up to about 100 mgs, it was as if a switch in my head turned off. I can not believe the change that has taken place. I had tried Campral first, with no success. I am not saying the rest of the program is not helpful, but I am just sharing my personal experience. Don't use finances as an excuse. Alcohol costs plenty of money. This has been a miracle!! I feel I have my life back!!

Comment

Thought i could do it...

See my ez mail to you

Comment

Thought i could do it...

lj,
                      You could also think about the amount of money spent on alcohol vs. the amount for Topa/supps - drink was way more expensinve for me...
                      peggy

Comment

Thought i could do it...

anyone hoping to do abs that has made it to this site cannot,
                        including me

Comment

Thought i could do it...

thought I could

lj,
                          I've tried/failed/tried/failed lots of times. Now I'm trying again.
                          I'm not taking Topa, Campral etc.
                          I'm just doing the supps. 900 Kudzu x 3 times/day, 2000 L-glut per day, Gaba, Calms forte, Evening Primrose etc.
                          I'm going OK. (Trying Abs as I'm too scared I won't stop if I start).

Don't be too hard on yourself. you didn't ask to be in this situation. But you can try to do something about it. Even if you decide not to do Topa or the supps. Please try to keep posisitve. Keep reading the posts, do some posting, take care of yourself as best you can.

GS

Comment

Thought i could do it...

Re: thought I could

Hey Yesto,

What's going on, your post didn't quite make sense. I'm concerned!!! Hope you're okay, kiddo.:d

Kathy

Comment

Thought i could do it...

Re: thought I could

Hi there,

Firstly i would like to say a big thanks to 99% of the people on this board, you have been a GREAT help.

Secondly i don't appreciate the judgemental, negative and basically aggressive ez inbox's. I am only being honest about my thoughts,feelings and attempts to cut down on my drinking and i am sorry if my own PERSONAL STRUGGLE is offensive to you.not.

Chrysalis, with all due respect you have no idea what i have tried or not tried and, yes my finances are in a bad way and f.y.i i have recently lost my job.

Kathy, you are a diamond! i'll let you know.x

best wishes to all.

Comment

Working...
                              X