WELCOME to the Window Shoppers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it's getting late, on a Sunday night. The weekend is coming to a quiet close, and the Monday morning to-do lists are piled up on the kitchen counter.
    If you are not a member on "My Way Out" (I think there are about 90 people lurking in the shadows right now)~ Welcome!

It's certainly not MY business, but why are you here tonight?

I found My Way Out on a night like tonight, after my husband and kids drifted off to bed, and since I'm a self-proclaimed "night owl", I was stuck in my own company, berating myself for my senseless behavior over the previous weekend.

It went something like this:
    I left work on Friday afternoon earlier than usual, because the weekend was HERE and it was MILLER TIME! I stopped at my favorite grocery store, meandered down the wine aisle and found a couple of bottles "on special". I picked up stuff for dinner, and happily went home. I cracked open two beers- one for my husband too- and we clinked our bottles to celebrate the start of the weekend.
    HAPPY HOUR!

Fast forward a couple hours later- dinner is over, the kids have left to do their Friday night fun things. That leaves just me and my honey.... and his friend, Captain Morgan, along with my friend, a jumping kangaroo named Yellow Tail. We get along fabulously- never fighting- we talk about the week, make plans for Saturday and Sunday, laugh. Maybe have a campfire, or play cards, or watch a mindless TV DIY show. Life is great. The night goes long- my husband hits the sack, the Yellow Tail has disappeared and since I don't want to open the second bottle, I switch to the Captain and have a "night cap".

SATURDAY MORNING
    rudely awakens me. My husband is an early bird and I can hear him downstairs, starting a remodel project and doing chores.... by the time I get up, he's on a second pot of coffee. I exist as if "nothing is wrong", but the truth is my head hurts. I have vague memories of the night before- I try to remember what time my kids got home (did they?) .... were there any angry words? (I don't think so) .... Did I say something stupid that I don't remember that may have altered my husband's mood? (Based on his mood, I don't think so!)... But I pretend, I have coffee, I go through the motions. I join the family routine.

Until about 3 pm, when I hear the sweet sound of my husband cracking open two beers. (It IS Saturday afternoon, and he has worked hard all day: Why not? And you can't drink alone, right?) The thought of saying "no thanks" never crosses my mind; I eagerly take my first drink. Followed by the second beer, and the third... and then at dinner, I crack open my other bottle of wine..... and when its cashed in, I switch to the Captain. At some point at night, my husband goes to bed, but since I slept in, I say that I'm the night owl and I stay awake. Enjoy the Captain's magic potion. Watch TV, get on Facebook, surf the net. Finally stumble to bed.

SUNDAY Morning: ARRRRGH!
    With my head pounding, I drink lots of water and take Advil.... again, pretending all is normal but the truth is, I'm not well. If I took a BAC test, I'd probably fail. I know I have "family commitments": we have to finish the weekend chores, and get to church too! (A fantasy pops into my head: if one of my kids makes a fuss, I'll fuss back and then we won't go to church! (Evil to confess, I know.)) Alas, as a "responsible mom", I lead the charge and everyone gets dressed.

We go to church, sing, pray....(conflicting emotions swirl in my soul)... followed by a trip to the grocery store to get Sunday Dinner. A quiet dilemma rages in my mind while we are shopping: I have no wine left. Should I? Shouldn't I? The whole family is here! GREAT NEWS: My husband must be a mind reader, because he casually puts two bottles of wine into our cart. I'm all set for tonight!

"Lather, rinse, repeat".... yep, that's me.

And so here it is, once, again, a Sunday night. My rearview mirror isn't cracked, and I don't like what I see. Tomorrow, when the morning chatter starts, I'm going to have to string together a bunch of white lies and half truths when someone asks about my weekend.
    :egad:
    So on that particular Sunday night, I laid off the booze. I made quiet promises to myself that I would change. I told myself that I'll be a better mom, a better wife, a better friend, a better co-worker. And in my desperate loneliness, I Googled, "Ways to quit drinking", or "Controlling drinking", or "How to moderate alcohol", and I found this hidden world, filled with strangers, that apparently think like I do.

"I have no intentions of publicly outing myself. This is MY problem."
    "I'm a grown woman: I can fix this myself!"
    "I can't quit drinking, I'll lose my husband. I have to figure out how to control myself!"

If you can relate to my Sunday night string, please know that you are not alone.
    Create your unique name, and post your story.
    There is no "judging" here, but there IS tough love- it's hard to tell us your half-truths, because you see, we tell them too. :l

There IS a way out
    . I've been on this path for a couple of years now, but if you are new here, please know: we don't all share the same story, but you'll find someone here that has walked on the same trail - you'll see our footprints!
    Maybe you need to quit drinking?
    Maybe you can learn to control drinking?
    Maybe you will figure out that you are always going to drink, and you need to cope with that decision too? Whatever your ultimate decision will be, you'll find the strength and the tools to find your way.

:hug: Patty
    Last edited by NotHappyHourHappyLife; November 15, 2014, 11:43 AM.
    "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
    so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
    :hug:

Patty,
    Thank you for this post. Wow, a lot of people, I'm sure, can relate to this, so I hope they decide to stay at MWO and get the help they need. I'm so grateful for this site and people like you.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

You write beautifully, Happy.

This line in particular so simply captures how I felt for so long and how I never want to feel again:

I exist as if "nothing is wrong", but the truth is my head hurts.
      Given how well you write, I'd love to read your story here if you're interested in sharing:https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...t-6-78410.html.

Comment

Love this and relate to it so much - thank you for posting!

Comment

This is an awesome reminder... I have been around for a while but lurk a lot more than post. Thanks:thanks:

Comment

Thank you for the kind words. I hope my story inspires others to STOP and join - there is a lot of strength in anonymity-.

As I re-read my post, if I wanted you to read just one line, it would be:

I made quiet promises to myself that I would change.
            I was sick and tired of being sick and tired... of quietly breaking those promises. No one knew that these said promises even existed, but when I reflect upon my life, I see many events where alcohol was more important than my loved ones. That is sad. :hug: Patty

Comment

Letting myself down over and over was bad but the realization that I was merely existing was torture.

Comment

Sunday is here and there are about 15 members and 88 guests perusing the site... WELCOME! :welcome:

It's okay to troll, but it's also okay to introduce yourself.
                We don't bite. :victorious:
                Last edited by NotHappyHourHappyLife; November 15, 2014, 11:36 AM.

Comment

NotHappyHourHappyLife;1645826 wrote:
                  I'm going to have to string together a bunch of white lies and half truths when someone asks about my weekend.

I found this hidden world, filled with strangers, that apparently think like I do.
                  It's a been some time NH that a post has reduced me to tears and flooded me with all those memories but yours is the one....your line about half truths and white lies...I think that defined most of my life, let alone weekends ! I'm so grateful those days are over, hard as it to face their repercussions...uch:

And yes, this is a hidden world filled with strangers who are anything but...:l thank you so much for your loving post. It's a bright beacon which I know will guide all the 'strangers' to our hidden world and remind us 'Golden Oldies' what a precious place this truly is.
                  :l:h
                  On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                  *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Kradle, what is so sad, for me, is how long I honestly lived in a self-induced fog- about 20 years. My youngest son is 16, so that truly means his entire life. :

My memory is improving, but there are many times when one of my kids will say, "Mom, do you remember the time when..... ?" and I honestly have no memory whatsoever of their story. It may not even be that there was alcohol at the activity, which makes it even sadder for me- like things I did on class field trips, or birthday parties, or simple family outings. Yeeks.

I really thought that the alcohol fog was limited to the time that I was physically drinking, but apparently not.

Pity party is over! Time to look forward at the happy days in our future.

:hug: Patty
                    Last edited by NotHappyHourHappyLife; November 15, 2014, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Right on Patty.

Drinking time for me was more important than everything, including family, friends, and my dreams.

Greg

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Loved your post Patty and every bit of it was so true. The saying everyday that i will not drink and hitting repeat by the end of it, just existing to face another day and another when there was so much more out there if i was sober.

Thank god we found mwo, each other and a way out of the vicious cycle of al and addiction. Its not easy but it wasnt easy drinking every damn day either.
                        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Great post!
                          “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Patty - thank you for this. Absolutely wonderful. :h

Welcome to everyone :welcome:
                            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Love this post. I love the way you write!

Comment

Working...
                              X