Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July Mod Squad

DancingGirl;1680225 wrote:

Just a question for all or any of you - from a thread on one of the other boards:

Could you just have one bite of a delicious dessert and then leave the rest for everyone else to eat? Could you enjoy that one bite and not crave more?

It is a good question about moderation in general.
    ToMyHealth;1680232 wrote:

Re: dessert. yes. Easily.

TMH
    guapo;1680266 wrote:
    Another week with things going well here.

The desert wouldn't be a problem whatsoever.
    But alcohol will be - because it is a drug folks ! Taking it makes you crave more - whether we admit it to ourselves or not.
    Sorry to butt in - but I'm bored

Comment

July Mod Squad

I disagree, Satz. Since employing a moderation strategy, I can stop at one drink, or 2 , without any real trouble, of course naltrexone is factoring in there also. That's been consistent for four and a half months.

Potato chips are a different story altogether.

Comment

July Mod Squad

everyone is different

guapo;1680286 wrote: I disagree, Satz. Since employing a moderation strategy, I can stop at one drink, or 2 , without any real trouble, of course naltrexone is factoring in there also. That's been consistent for four and a half months.

Potato chips are a different story altogether.
        Satz, everyone is different; I can recall a time in my life when moderating cocaine use wasn't an issue for me, as crazy as that sounds...I simply knew, if I had that one or two more than necessary I'd be up all night and strung out...now I don't touch anything like that, because even a little, will simply make me sick the next day....extreme example, but proving a point...

People can get addicting to lots of things, from drugs, AL, to video games, television, to women. I'm not a Dr., but I am sure there is some medical reason for some of this.

To say everyone craves AL is completely untrue. I had a client buy me a nice bottle of scotch, we finally opened it up at my marina, I gave it to one of my neighbors, he insisted I had some, so I did, I can assure you, I did not want another one. I'm not even sure I finished the one he poured me, and this was good scotch!

if you can abstain, want to abstain, that's great...hell I even thought about it from time to time, but to say EVERYONE falls under the same category is erred.

Comment

July Mod Squad

I brought up the dessert question because someone in another thread on another board made the comparison.

I had a glass (one glass) of wine with a friend on his deck a couple of Sunday afternoons ago. We suddenly noticed that we were late for a concert (classical music in a church). We both had a couple of mouthfuls left in our glasses .... so .... we emptied them in the sink. No need to gulp - it ruins the taste.

Comment

July Mod Squad

Slug some drinks down fast, and it's the point of no return.

If you use your head, and drink slowly, and wait things out, it's really not hard to stop at one or two. That's the way I see it anyway. As I think back on the 30+ years of excess drinking, I never saw when more than two or maybe three drinks accomplished anything except problems.

Comment

July Mod Squad

Hey, everyone! I am back from vacation, and very happy to be home. I did read all the posts.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY -143! :h:l:h Today is the day, isn't it! We celebrated our 23rd on the 6th. Lovely month to get married. Good luck with the tarps and the rain.

So, in answer to the dessert question, I definitely could have one bite of a delicious dessert and leave the rest for others. And yes, Satz, we all know that for US the same can't be said for alcohol. I think that is why all of us are HERE and not on an over-eating site. For some people, food IS a drug and they have problems with moderating their intake of desserts, just as we have a problem with alcohol. I really really appreciate what Guapo said in response... if you don't gulp (food, alcohol, whatever), if you go into whatever with a mindful plan, you will do okay.

Glad to be back with you all. I'll write more later.

Comment

July Mod Squad

Welcome Back NNG. it's been a little quiet here in ModerationVille. I had a nice vacation in Michigan on a lake with heavily drinking brother and his friend, and am happy to report NO problems, never got about .06 !!

That works for me !!

Comment

July Mod Squad

sorry, "above".06. Actually nowhere near it

Comment

July Mod Squad

Hey.....I'm back!!! I had a wonderful week! Tuesday I went to a concert with my friend.... hadn't been to one in like ten years.... and the tickets were free! I sipped on some wine but didn't get drunk or even close to it!!!! I can remember the entire concert!!!! Which has never happened before in my adult life!!! I'm usually wasted!!! Lol
                    Then Saturday we celebrated our anniversary..... we went to a dueling piano club!!! Dinner and a few drinks didn't over do it there either.... I drank a little more than I should have but didn't get drunk..... after all we were celebrating!!!!!
                    I'm still on cloud nine!!! Even with the news from the Dr saying I had an abnormal pap smear and I have to have a coloscopy on July 25th to make sure I don't have cancer! This won't be the first time.... I've been tested for cancer three times before.... always comes back negative!!! So I'm not going to worry.... I'm still focusing on the positive!!!!
                    My Md tested my liver enzymes again yesterday .....so I hope what I'm doing is working!
                    And thanks for the Anniversary shout out!!!

Comment

July Mod Squad

Hey, All.
                      Glad you had a good anniversary, -143. Hurray! We did, too. We spent ours around a campfire near Lake Michigan ... quite lovely.

I came back from vacation just in time to get ready for the Marathon Weekend here, which for the last five years has been a big part of my life. Since (as you may remember), I wouldn't be able to do the bigger race I had planned on, I did the Saturday morning 5K, and enjoyed it very much. We have such a great running/walking community here, and it is wonderful to see folks from all over the country and some from the rest of the world come to enjoy running by our beautiful mountains. The excitement in this town was effervescent! But then, family plans made me leave town for an evening wedding 75 miles away. Giving up a race for a wedding - a no brainer. What could be more lovely than a summer wedding?

We got home from the wedding in the late evening, too wired to sleep. Early the next morning I climbed out of bed at 6:00 and went outside just in time to hear the race fireworks, looked at the crystal sky knowing full well that the temps would be near 100 by the time I would have been finishing the full marathon, climbed back into bed and luxuriated in being lazy. There is something quite marvelous about being in bed, cool and comfortable, knowing that otherwise one would be out on the race course hot and sweaty. On the other hand, I am not now rejoicing in having finished a big race. I do feel as if I need to start training again for the next half marathon nearby which will be in September. (Can you tell I have given up the idea of the Center of the Nation?)

How is the moderation going, my friends? For me, I have to admit that while on vacation I moderated sometimes and didn't others, but all in all wasn't too bad. Now, however, I am giving myself a good month to cleanse and rest after travel.

Be good to yourselves. Take time to enjoy the day. Have a lovely walk and enjoy this beautiful world.

Comment

July Mod Squad

Michigan

NNG. Also want to Michigan, did some time at Warren dunes State Park, then went to a cottage at the lake with my brother.

Of course that was the time to break out the alcohol. My brother and his friend were also there, and they were liking to pound down a few. Decided to enjoy the lakes, and swimming etc., so I really didn't drink much of anything. It's actually gotten to that point with the new mindset, I was pretty happy about it.

I'm finding fewer and fewer reasons to drink, many more reasons not to drink. That's a good development

Comment

July Mod Squad

All I know is my runs have been kicking ass....

Comment

July Mod Squad

Glad you all had wonderful vacations! Stewart's, you in training? Ok to run for the heck of it. And get better.

Hope everyone had a good mod weekend! I did and feel good on this Monday morning!

TMH
                            The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

July Mod Squad

Ok....Friday we found out we're having a boy!!!!! Still due Christmas Day!!!! Everybody is happy about that! I had my liver panel done on Monday..... got a letter from my MD saying my liver panel is MUCH IMPROVED!!!!. Just like that..... in all caps!!!! And told me to keep doing what I'm doing!!!!
                              Now I just need the same blessing on this colposcopy on Friday!!! I am going to be 49 September 2nd.....and I believe it's just hormones!!!!!! Still staying with the positive!!!!! But keep me in your prayers!
                              Thank God it isn't raining everyday! My sister might be able to help us get the roof all the way done in a few weeks.......we'll see.....
                              How are you all doing??????

Comment

July Mod Squad

Hey, all.
                                Raining here, too, but much needed for the forest fires - and a real sadness for the beautiful bumper crop of cherries that hasn't yet been picked.

We had a very nice weekend, saw a play, rested, read, knitted. All is well here. No other news.

Comment

Working...
                                X