100 Reasons to Stay Sober

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. I am present for my children whenever they need me.
    2. My skin is more clear.
    3. To give myself a chance. The chance to see what i can really do.
    4. I am truly living my life without the constant running commentary in my head that all of my achievements, relationships, and values are a sham and that none of these things have much meaning.
    5. I have complete access to my three wonderful grandchildren & am enjoying every moment I spend with them!
    6. Being sober is not punishment. It is a gift, to me, and to people who love me.
    7. The aches and pains I thought were from aging have disappeared. I run up stairs now.
    8. I don't wake up at 3am with anxiety and the feeling of sadness and dread.
    9. I have been able to be there for my friends through some difficult times
    10. I love the freedom from obsession and anxiety over when I can get a fix and the freedom from the compulsion to take the next drink and the next drink and the next drink and the next drink....
    11. (sorry if this is TMI.....but...) I love having normal poop! It means the bowels are healing and starting to work properly again!!!
    12. I can misplace and forget things and know that it is not because I was drinking. I can hold my head up and say "I don't remember..."
    13. And on the flip side, I'm confident that I do remember what happened and am no longer afraid to stick to my opinion when someone else has a different one.
    14. I enjoy food once more and a good meal is no longer just an excuse to drink alcohol.
    15. I'm fully awake in the mornings and am ready to fully discharge my responsibilities to both my household and my workplace.
    16. I am ready for work everyday and with a clear head (I work at a daycare).
    17. Lost the hangovers and the regrets.
    18. Spend more time at home.
    19. Less money wasted.
    20. Better feelings about myself.
    21. No more anxiety about having enough alcohol to get drunk.
    22. Realizing family game night (sober) is more fun than when drinking. No half-sailed arguments that were spurred by alcohol.
    "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
    so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
    :hug:

Comment

4. I am truly living my life without the constant running commentary in my head that all of my achievements, relationships, and values are a sham and that none of these things have much meaning.
      5. I have complete access to my three wonderful grandchildren & am enjoying every moment I spend with them!
      6. Being sober is not punishment. It is a gift, to me, and to people who love me.
      7. The aches and pains I thought were from aging have disappeared. I run up stairs now.
      10. I love the freedom from obsession and anxiety over when I can get a fix and the freedom from the compulsion to take the next drink and the next drink and the next drink and the next drink....
      11. (sorry if this is TMI.....but...) I love having normal poop! It means the bowels are healing and starting to work properly again!!!
      12. I can misplace and forget things and know that it is not because I was drinking. I can hold my head up and say "I don't remember..."
      13. And on the flip side, I'm confident that I do remember what happened and am no longer afraid to stick to my opinion when someone else has a different one.
      14. I enjoy food once more and a good meal is no longer just an excuse to drink alcohol.
      15. I'm fully awake in the mornings and am ready to fully discharge my responsibilities to both my household and my workplace.
      19. Less money wasted.
      22. Realizing family game night (sober) is more fun than when drinking. No half-sailed arguments that were spurred by alcohol.
      23. Having so many more opportunities to do things and go places where previously if there wasn't alcohol I thought it wasn't worth doing! (how stupid was that?!!)

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

19. Less money wasted.
        23. Having so many more opportunities to do things and go places where previously if there wasn't alcohol I thought it wasn't worth doing! (how stupid was that?!!)
        24. My kids (who are still young enough) will not see the same dysfunction, chaos and disappointment I saw from my family when I was young
        “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

See the Light;1694839 wrote: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

19. Less money wasted.
          24. My kids (who are still young enough) will not see the same dysfunction, chaos and disappointment I saw from my family when I was young
          25 I get up in the morning and can do anything I like.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

19. Less money wasted.
            26. I don't freak out when I see a police car driving behind me.
            27. I can sit alone and be ok -with my thoughts and no alcohol
            28. Synchronicity can be seen as reality and not fool's talk
            29. The absolute awesome feeling I have each morning from realizing that I did not drink the day or night before.
            30. I can feel or act grateful at any time

Comment

19. Less money wasted.
              29. The absolute awesome feeling I have each morning from realizing that I did not drink the day or night before.
              31. I can remember where I put my keys (most days)
              32. Where did I hide my alcohol syndrome is no longer a problem
              33. Did I throw away my last open containers -or, are sitting around for someone to? Not drinking -no problem.
              34. I can remember to meet my son at the time that I said that I was going to -in fact, I can even remember to meet him.
              35. When I say that I am going out to pick up a Christmas tree, that will be exactly what I am doing (Not a two hour road trip to drink -lol but true)
              36. Memory related reasons not drinking is great:
              a. I called you when?
              b. So I called you? And I said what? If I said that, I did not mean it that way.
              c. I know that I parked my car in in this state? Right?
              d. Now say that just one more time.....
              e. Mr. Customer, I forgot to call you back because .....
              Last edited by Spiritfree; December 11, 2014, 01:33 PM.

Comment

37. "Certainly officer, I'll take a breathalyzer."
                AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
                "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

19. Less money wasted.
                  33. Did I throw away my last open containers -or, are sitting around for someone to? Not drinking -no problem.
                  34. I can remember to meet my son at the time that I said that I was going to -in fact, I can even remember to meet him.
                  35. When I say that I am going out to pick up a Christmas tree, that will be exactly what I am doing (Not a two hour road trip to drink -lol but true)
                  a. I called you when?
                  b. So I called you? And I said what? If I said that, I did not mean it that way.
                  38. My car doesn't have the stale smell of alcohol from the single wines I used to have

Comment

19. Less money wasted.
                    a. I called you when?
                    38. My car doesn't have the stale smell of alcohol from the single wines I used to have
                    39. That my actions may have a positive affect on those who still suffer
                    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Re: 100 Reasons to Stay Sober

I wonder if we can make it to 100 reasons? A forgotten thread from 2014, but some familiar faces.

19. Less money wasted.
                      a. I called you when?
                      38. My car doesn't have the stale smell of alcohol from the single wines I used to have.
                      39. That my actions may have a positive affect on those who still suffer.
                      40. Finally getting my energy back- committed to doing 10,000 steps a day!
                      "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
                      so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
                      :hug:

Comment

Re: 100 Reasons to Stay Sober

41.Being able to sleep through the night and not fall asleep at church because al insomina affected you yet again.
                        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                        X