Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gastric Bypass Surgery, anyone?

:l
    Mydaddysgirl;1118062 wrote: I was considered lightweight for bypass-- needing to lose less than 100. I lost 80, when from size 22 to an 8, but have regained 15 due to doubling what I drink. It is just in last few months that I wake up at 3 pm and drink myself back to sleep. I leave work and go have a few mid day. Today I got the shipment of stuff from this site. Just listened to first two CDs, took all the supplements. Here I go!
    mydaddysgirl,
    i urge you not to go through gastric bypass if you have a problem with alcoholism. i was a drinker before my surgery, but that surgery has turned me into a full blown alcoholic. i wish someone had told me the figures of how many people with bypass surgery turn into alcoholics before i'd gone under the knife. so many its astonishing. if you're drinking now, you don't stand a chance. you get drunk EXTREMELY rapidly too, after one glass infact. i blackout now EVERY time i drink, i didnt before G.B.

food hurts me when i eat, wine doesn't so i traded. as a result i'm still fat. all that pain and money (?11,000.00) to buy myself an alcohol addiction.

On top of that im constantly anaemic, deficient in vit d and calcium which leaves me feeling ill and dizzy all the time. im never off the toilet with runny stools that cramp my stomach so badly you wouldn't believe.

i know i'm probably going to kill myself one of these days drinking on my tiny stomach and short intestine and my very vunerable, malnourished body. i don't want you suffering like this.

please research, research, research xxx
    The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9/girly-wirly-s-toolbox-2-45452.html

Comment

Kanas how is your progress?

Comment

pink lady that is my exact story.. only with more wieght gain..

Caper
        caper
        AF since Sept 2013...
        :alf:

Comment

Hi Everybody,

Cinders posted this link several weeks ago. The statistics of people who have GPS and then become alcoholic are frightening. Here is the link: Gastric bypass surgery and alcoholism: Is there addiction transfer after weight loss surgery?.

Comment

Cross addiction or malabsorption?

Some have theorized that it is the malabsorption, resulting malnutriton, and resulting feeling "off" as well as the different way in which alcohol is absorbed that leads to alcoholism after gastric bypass, meaning it's not addiction transfer per say. This is supported by research that suggests those who get lapbands (don't malabsorb) do not have the high rates of new addictions. I too had gb and later developed a drinking problem, as did my husband. Supplements should help. I was using Seven Weeks to Sobriety program supplements, probably similar to those on MWO, and I think they did help but still drinking, in large part due to environmental stuff I think, so I stopped them as they are expensive. Peace.

Comment

I did the same thing...gb and then alkie
              I love my family more than alcohol.:h
              Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Similar situation here, had surgery about a year ago and now drink more than I ever did, despite being able to tolerate less. The weight has gone from 286 to a current 220, which is a much slower loss than you?d normally expect after a BG surgery – on the plus side, my skin?s been keeping up nicely so far. Don’t think my liver and kidneys are quite as happy though.

I had a slowly growing drinking problem long before I had surgery, but the fact that I can now get happily pissed on about one glass of wine is really not helpful, since I?m still no more willing to stop at one or two drinks than I ever was. And it seems to be getting steadily worse, thats why im here.
                I need to learn to find ways of resolving my issues without using alcohol, it?s only a comfort and distraction for the moment, in the long run it only makes things worse.

One day at a time, slowly edging my way towards "week"

Comment

PinkLady;145737 wrote: Yes, I am extremely happy --- changed my life! I lost 140lbs originally and got to a size 10 --- sometimes 6 or 8. Unfortunately, I am an addictive person, so when I didn't have food, I started drinking more. For a couple of years, it was still fine and I reached my lowest weight. But now, at 46, while drinking more and more, I have gained back 30 lbs and I am disgusted --- so I drink more!!!!
                  I could have wrote this... 5.5 years ago and have gained back 60lbs by drinking. also addictive personality and replaced food with booze.. so embarrassed / ashamed.. have to drink more to forget ... terrible cycle.. oh and i am 45..

caper
                  caper
                  AF since Sept 2013...
                  :alf:

Comment

Hi Stillhere:welcome:,

If you go back to Cinders' earlier post on this thread....you will find her link....I provided it also....from CalorieLab. Go to that link and read the stories from people....you will find support there.

I recently talked about this linkage with my doctor, who is an osteopathic and alternative health care doctor....and she said that in a lot of cases, people who are obese are the victims of sexual abuse. In order to find "comfort" because of the guilt and the shame....they eat until they're obese.....then have GPS.....but then, the alcoholism kicks in because they haven't dealt with the root cause of their addictions....shame and neglect. So they use food and alcohol as comfort. She said if they had gotten counseling in the first place to deal with the underlying issues of why they ate....many of them wouldn't have become alcoholics. The problem is....a lot of these patients don't reveal to their doctors the REAL reason why they ate themselves into morbid obesity. Also, don't bariatric doctors want your $$$$$.....they don't care why you're obese. You have a weight problem, and they have a weight solution. They say....if you're thin....or thinner.....you'll feel better about yourself....you'll be more self-confident...have more friends....more dates...you can buy those skinny jeans....etc., etc. Also, patients are NOT honest for their reasons for GPS. One of my clients had GPS....which insurance paid for....because she was able to claim that she had "tried, unsuccessfully, for 1 year....to lose weight." That's not the truth at all, and she admitted it to me. The truth is....she hates to exercise....even walk....and lap band surgery was the quick fix. She has never had a taste for AL but the lap band is not what she bargained for.

Sending you lots of support, Stillhere.:l

Comment

Rusty;1237045 wrote: Hi Stillhere:welcome:,

If you go back to Cinders' earlier post on this thread....you will find her link....I provided it also....from CalorieLab. Go to that link and read the stories from people....you will find support there.

I recently talked about this linkage with my doctor, who is an osteopathic and alternative health care doctor....and she said that in a lot of cases, people who are obese are the victims of sexual abuse. In order to find "comfort" because of the guilt and the shame....they eat until they're obese.....then have GPS.....but then, the alcoholism kicks in because they haven't dealt with the root cause of their addictions....shame and neglect. So they use food and alcohol as comfort. She said if they had gotten counseling in the first place to deal with the underlying issues of why they ate....many of them wouldn't have become alcoholics. The problem is....a lot of these patients don't reveal to their doctors the REAL reason why they ate themselves into morbid obesity. Also, don't bariatric doctors want your $$$$$.....they don't care why you're obese. You have a weight problem, and they have a weight solution. They say....if you're thin....or thinner.....you'll feel better about yourself....you'll be more self-confident...have more friends....more dates...you can buy those skinny jeans....etc., etc. Also, patients are NOT honest for their reasons for GPS. One of my clients had GPS....which insurance paid for....because she was able to claim that she had "tried, unsuccessfully, for 1 year....to lose weight." That's not the truth at all, and she admitted it to me. The truth is....she hates to exercise....even walk....and lap band surgery was the quick fix. She has never had a taste for AL but the lap band is not what she bargained for.

Sending you lots of support, Stillhere.:l
                      Hi Rusty.

Nice link, thank you. And for the welcome

Quite a lot of that rings true for me yeah. And in a way, I found that overeating and being obese is a good distraction from all that ? as long as I was beating myself up about my eating habits I didn?t have to think about all the other stuff. It became a sort of replacement, both the food and the diets, failures and constant self recriminations. Much easier to concentrate on that, since it was an obvious, visible, and sort of accepted problem. Not fully accepted of course, society does look down on us, but it?s at least a common problem. And much less embarrassing than the other one.

Also, even though I had the surgery to lose weight, the idea of losing weight is a bit scary ? bizarre as that sounds. But, for one thing, it means my ?armor? will be gone so to speak. Being obese is, to me, apart from being a ?safe? visible surrogate problem, also a very useful excuse for practically anything. "of course I can?t do this, or that, or whatever - I?ll do it when I?ve lost weight." No I won?t. If I really wanted to take dance classes, or take up martial arts again, or whatever it is I?m putting off I would be doing it already.

And I think a lot of people get a bit disappointed when they do lose the weight and realize that the rest of the world hasn?t changed. Like you said ?They say...if you're thin...or thinner...you'll feel better about yourself...you'll be more self-confident...have more friends...more dates...you can buy those skinny jeans...? Of course, I don?t think people actually believe the entire universe will suddenly change when the extra weight is gone, but I think there is an expectation that things will be generally ?better?, whatever that means. And for that reason I think it?s a bit of an anticlimax when you lose the weight and discover that nothing else has changed. You?re just thinner, you still have the same boring job and annoying relatives. The self confidence is a matter of what?s in the mind, not the body - And the friends and dates is almost certainly to do with confidence (and well being!)rather than anything else. Considering what my personality was in my worst times, it?s no wonder people kept a distance, I would have. But, that was nothing to do with actual physical appearance, just the fact that I was an utterly miserable bitch. Because I was depressed and felt like crap.

Then again, people who are interested in being friends solely based on looks I?m not interested in bothering with. With dates it?s a bit more complicated of course, since that would involve sexual attraction (probably). In that case I can?t expect people not to have their preferences when it comes to looks, I have my own after all. On the other hand, it?s a real mistake to assume ?everyone? prefers the standard accepted shape . I don?t mean to imply you do assume that, I mean I used to.

Meanwhile I currently eat so much less that it?s gotten to the point of being not enough, and since I?m actually sort of drinking my meals instead it?s no kind of improvement. Funny really, I?m not a bad cook, but for the last couple of years when I?ve been single I have very rarely bothered cooking anything. Because I don?t want to bother making the effort just for me - what the hell do I mean ?just??surely, feeding myself properly is just as important as feeding anybody else ? but that?s just it, I still treat myself as if I was much less important even to myself than other people. That is the main problem.

Gah?See, this is one reason being drunk seems easier to me, I give myself a headache when I?m sober.

I will not drink today, but I will have a proper dinner. I?ll try to do the same thing tomorrow.
                      I need to learn to find ways of resolving my issues without using alcohol, it?s only a comfort and distraction for the moment, in the long run it only makes things worse.

One day at a time, slowly edging my way towards "week"

Comment

Working...
                      X