Who runs here? Anybody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who runs here? Anybody?

Howdy y'all, i'm musomatt. A marathon running alkie! We'll, right now I am on day 2 of AF for the 5th time of asking. The longest i've managed is 2 years previously. Boredom and complacency beat me last time but I am (piece by piece) beginning to understand what went wrong. One of the first things i'm focusing on is removing the chaos from my life. Yesterday I cleared out the closit, and decided that I would do my ironing on a monday night (before Gym). Its the first time i've ever ironed all my work shirts in one go (10 of them) it took me just under an hour. They look really neat in my wardrobe!

Anyway... tidy closit, tidy mind! Enough of my nonsense about ironing. Who runs here? I'm off to the gym in a minute to see if I can beat 52 minutes for the 10k. If I do I will photograph my run, and celebrate it here if I manage it. Reading MWO today has given me a lift today.

Who runs here? Anybody?

G'day Matt.

Good job on day 2 booze free. I love the concept of ironing. What a shame i don't own one.

Runner here too. I run most days (and some gym) and it is a very important part of my sobriety/taking back my life plan. I've competed in a couple of 'fun run' 10k's, and looking at a couple more 10k runs before tackling a half marathon down the track, if you'll excuse the pun. Running keeps me sane and balanced, and one big thing i've noticed is this.....I always come back from a run feeling better than i did when i started. Look forward to the pics mate! Muso here too.

P.S. There are a few folks currently posting on a fitness thread by member 'Lifechange' if that's of any interest.

Best wishes and keep it going. G

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Who runs here? Anybody?

I run but I have super high anxiety when I have to run for time; I like races that are off trail but generally am a solo runner. If you can beat 52 mins on a treadmill, surely you can do it on the road. You are a brave gym goer (I particularly dislike treadmills) but if one lives up north, there's not much choice.

48 -72 hrs AF seems to be a common block; this is sufficient time to clear one's system and you start feelin' pretty good, what the heck... Next morning you find yourself in that hole.

Positive thoughts your way...
      Constant relapsing is soul destroying.
      I cherish my soul, it is the most important thing to me in the world. I cherish my soul even on th bad days. This is why I do not drink.

Comment

Who runs here? Anybody?

Hi Musomatt. Like yourself I'm a runner and struggle with alcohol, as we all do. I'm currently day 9 AF. Running is really beneficial in cleaning up your life. I've had a year of weeks at a time of AF. I haven't made the decision to be completely AF long term. But that's not important to me right now. I'm very happy to have greatly reduced my alcohol consumption. And not drinking sure allows us to run better. I ran my first marathon in July on the back of 5 weeks AF. Did it in 3hr 44min. very happy))

Comment

Who runs here? Anybody?

Petrelhead;n2511207 wrote: Hi Musomatt. Like yourself I'm a runner and struggle with alcohol, as we all do. I'm currently day 9 AF. Running is really beneficial in cleaning up your life. I've had a year of weeks at a time of AF. I haven't made the decision to be completely AF long term. But that's not important to me right now. I'm very happy to have greatly reduced my alcohol consumption. And not drinking sure allows us to run better. I ran my first marathon in July on the back of 5 weeks AF. Did it in 3hr 44min. very happy))
          Fantastic time Petrelhead. And great to see you guys doing the biz on the running front. I managed (hence not the picture!) 5km last night in 24.14! Not bad! The most important thing, was that I felt better than monday on the run. i felt strong. My physique is changing already. Is that even possible!!! who cares!

I want to be totally AF, but its intimidating. I think about the concept, and although I managed AF previously for nearly 2 years, I was never able to reconcile (in my head) how everybody else had the 'freedom' to drink yet I did not. I didn't realise until I had relapsed (or perhaps not until I was back into a sober period again) that sobriety IS freedom. I hope my running continues to liberate me. It is such a positive force in life. I am going to post "Its About Love" today. Its a post I wrote after the London Marathon in 2007. It is my way of reminding myself of the 2007 marathon (when I was last sober) and the deep feeling of love I have for my children and why I want to do this for my wife and my three children and make them proud.

Comment

Who runs here? Anybody?

I ran to just got to keep it up but always feel good afterwards. I read ur marathon story very inspiring. well done on ur AF days.
            catch22 x
            Formerly known as Teardrop:l
            sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
            my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Who runs here? Anybody?

Hi All....yes, running and sobriety go hand in hand. I love the way I think and feel after a run. I've been AF since May 18, don't know how many days that is, and I don't ever want to go back to the drinking life. Such a waste of time... I've never done a marathon. The farthest I've done was a half marathon and that was years ago. Now I just go for a 30-45 minute run and I like to do 5K races. I swim on the days I don't run. I'm still just amazed at the difference in how I feel, think, and act now that I don't drink. Wish you all the best and enjoy your AFness!!

Don

Comment

Did a 5K on Saturday and it was 40 degrees! Later that afternoon it was spitting snow!

Comment

Working...
                X