Merry Christmas! Question for the "oldies" ;) here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merry Christmas! Question for the "oldies" ;) here

How do you guys find new coping skills? I was so ugly to my annoying sister in law last night- again, she was crying on the phone, wanting attention- and denying that she has caused any problems in the family relationships. I frankly told her that I would not talk to her again until she grows up and that I think she needs to grow a pair of balls.

I have been dealing with her gossip, sobbing, bullshit for a decade- finally just had it this week.

She says "I am mean." Yes, I was. very.

I am making an appointment with a therapist as soon as Christmas is over, but will that help with coping skills? After I got off the phone with her, I frankly poured a drink and went to bed.

You may not believe this right now, but here goes.
    ALCOHOL is the PROBLEM.

People (especially family) will drive you nuts but here is the thing.....acceptance is an awesome thing. Once you get your own issues under control, many OTHER things fall right into place. Our whole attitude changes. We see things differently thru a sober lens...the world isnt out to get us like I once thought. Acceptance is quite a gift, as you will see.

If you concentrate on getting yourself sober once and for all, many other problems just dont seem so big. It is awesome to experience. Put your own oxygen mask on before assisting others!

Make getting sober your #1 priority. You will he amazed. Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Beautifully said as usual Ms Byrdie! You have always been and will always be my great inspiration.... And a wonderful Holiday gift. :hug:

Merry Christmas :heartbeat:
      On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
      *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

you know, I get up and pour my "middle of the night drink" because it's the only time my entire family is asleep....and read this forum. I agree- it's the AL that is the problem. I think. It's almost time to just stop it. Actually, it's time now, but my folks are here and I am having massive anxiety- they'll leave in a few hours-

Comment

I suffered from terrible anxiety when i drank and as the drinking got worse the anxiety got worse. Of course i did not blame my anxiety on drinking until i stopped. Now i dont take anti depressants, i very rarely have anxiety and i basically just go with the flow of life. If i dont feel comfortable doing something i dont do it, no anxiety! I have learnt to say no and mean no now i dont drink. I dont feel i have to please everyone to make up for my guilt of drinking and being a drunk. This all take time with being sober as months go on.

Al was my problem, its not anymore and it can be yours too Trying.
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
          X