No announcement yet.

Moving on to Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm hungover! After 2 drinks! I HATE the way alcohol makes me feel. Not drinking much makes the times I do extra potent. I don't seem to have the problem of returning to 4 drinks per night if I imbibe, which I am very thankful for. But I really feel that I am happier without alcohol. Here's what I notice (after only 2 drinks, and a few weeks since the last):
    - sensitive hearing
    - foggy head and slow thinking
    - minor headache
    - retaining water
    - feeling toxic
    - more irritable
    - hot flashes

On the other hand, last night I was given a compliment that is one of the nicest things anyone could say to me... she said she walked into this restaurant and saw me with my 5 yr. old daughter. She was struck at how I was interacting with her, and that I was smiling and enjoying it. She said so many parents in restaurants just want their kids to "be quiet" and sit down - but I was giving her real attention. I could have melted - it is one of my biggest priorities - to give my kids real, genuine attention - if even for just a few minutes each day. THIS is what I want to focus on - and alcohol is not required to make it happen. Alcohol gets in the way of this. I never want to make alcohol a priority in my life again - what a waste of time!
    Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

I watched my husband drink for stress last night. While he didn't go crazy, what he became was a distant, irritated person. I smelled his breath and was so grateful to be not drinking. This morning, he was more irritable than normal, and said he was moving slow. I see these things and am so very happy it's not me.

So I'm just going to share some thoughts here. I want to post when I am glad I am sober. I want to post if I have to start over. And I want to post to support others. But for some reason, it is not a goal for me to never drink again. It IS a goal for me that alcohol never interferes with my life again, and that means I rarely do it, and that if I do, it is not much. What does that make me? A girl who wants it all? I person in denial? Someone who "wasn't bad enough" to have to completely stop? I know, I know I've heard it over and over - if you are here, you need to stop completely. But where IS that line? Is it possible that some people aren't full-fledged alcoholics who come to this site? Are there degrees of addiction? I think I would consider myself someone who was addicted to alcohol - because I wanted it every night. But I don't any more. Some would say that's not possible. I didn't drink two liters a night. I drank 2-4 drinks. I snuck it, I lied about it, I hid it and I hated it. Does that make me a card-carying alcoholic?

When I share daily how grateful I am to be fully interacting with my life without alcohol, I have very little desire to drink. This last month or so, I felt like I had no accountability, and it was harder. I wasn't sharing with others how glad I was to be clean and clear. I think it is an exercise we all should do - to consciously state what we are grateful for, and often. It is part of what makes us happier, regardless of our vices.

I understand that this is a drinking site, for alcoholics and people who struggle and have previously struggled with alcohol use. That's me (raising hand). I struggled because I wanted it every night, and I hated the way it made me feel and act. I don't feel like I struggle much now, but I fear that if I don't participate in sharing my gratefulness with others, I will revert into a more frequent use situation because there are so many alcohol influences out there - everywhere I turn. For instance, I am going to a party tonight with my husband for his co-worker who is moving away. The people in his field drink like fish. I don't want any. Really, I don't want ANY. I know it will make me feel and sleep like shit. My daughter has a dance recital tomorrow and I want to feel top notch to enjoy it. I'm bringing my sparkling "La Croix" stuff, and that will do me fine. I want to tell you all this because it makes me stronger and I feel great about myself when I don't do it. So can I share that?

My goal is not to "never drink again". My goal IS to live so that alcohol does not impact my life and is not a focus. And if it is not a struggle for me to live this way, and if sharing about it is helpful to me or others, that's what I'm going to do. I will share if I DO have some, and how that makes me feel. I will share if I struggle or if I don't - and mostly share how much I love living life without the haze of this stupid liquid. I am being honest and trying to be as true to myself as I can. I want to live with authenticity and bravery and joyfulness and gratefulness, and would love if others would share too. So there it is.

Moving over to "Monthly Moderation - Living Fully".
      Last edited by KENSHO; June 12, 2015, 02:13 PM.
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Kensho
        read your post with interest, I think the whole thing about AL is to not worry about "not drinking" but but to enjoy the moment sober. It gives you a chance to be who we really are, not who we are through AL. Any time there is a "not" something involved, it is a negative, so instead of "not drinking", I think "I'm alive and well" or something like that. It has made me very comfortable in my new skin. Just a thought....
        I hope you find that "sweet spot"
        Sam
        Last edited by Samstone; June 13, 2015, 07:09 AM.
        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

I'm not sure where to start with this post. I think I have been selfish. I think I should not have discussed allowing myself to drink in the way that I have. I wanted to be able to tell the whole truth - that I had had a few drinks. But I feel that it has been irresponsible on a site where people with alcohol problems need only a small kernel of hope to bargain their way out of progress.

I had a real problem with alcohol just a short year ago - not necessarily judged by quantity, but by frequency, need and inner turmoil. I got to a fairly comfortable place abstaining for 30-60-90 days, and allowed myself to drink in between these instances. My reaction to these drinks confused me because I did not revert to old habits or experience strong cravings. I tried to discuss this with one person, and was met with such a wall that I felt like I just needed to state my position and move forward.

But I don't feel my actions have impacted this place in a positive way. I appreciate the kind words I have received in lieu of "finding my own way". I am yet to fully understand what that is. But I know these things:

- I hated the way I was drinking - how it made me feel, how it took my self-respect, how I was flat and dull and only partially participating in my life.

- I love not drinking - how it makes me feel, how present with myself I am, how I am bright and sharp and fully participate in all the minutes of the day.

Alcohol does not need to be a part of my life or anyone else's life and the very last thing I want to do is encourage anyone to drink.
          Last edited by KENSHO; June 16, 2015, 01:43 AM.
          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Tired of saying so much in the Nest. I just need to put some things out into the universe. So very tired and bummed and pissed. I am really surprised how much I am craving alcohol the last three nights. Makes me mad. But what makes me madder is that I told my husband I "might not" be drinking much this weekend (i.e. won't), and his response? "I just hope you are social". Really?!? Jackass. I said, I am not going to drink just so I can be social. He has said to me in the past, "just have a drink and loosen up!" Part of this is true, feeling tight, but to a large degree, I am an introvert. Coupled with how very tired I am with my current workload, it is going to feel even harder to be "fun". Fun to me right now would be sitting in silence near a stream - or with my family only and no pressure to talk, be fun, be the life of the party. I will never BE the life of the party. I would love to say, "You married an introvert", but truthfully, I've always drank in social settings. And though it may have loosened me up, I think I also said some stupid things. Not drunken stupid typically, but just awkward.

SO I guess I'm going to have to draw some boundaries. God I sound like a rewound tape... Not long ago I was saying how wonderful not drinking was and how much better I was at setting boundaries, and now it feels hard. A few drinks. And I mean a very few - and back to the beginning? That's unbelievable to me.

My "switch" didn't trip immediately when I started to drink again. I didn't want it, and I didn't use it for stress or other "cures" - but WOA, once I did - BAM! Right back almost where I began. I am so mad right now!

In fairness, why would he think I couldn't handle a few? It wasn't until recently that I "snuck" drinks - he probably thinks I CAN have a few once in awhile. Does he not crave AL? Must not.
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

This is lovely Reggie. Thank you.
              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Feeling a bit blue this morning. It's cloudy and the light is changing, and I SO loved sleeping in a bit. Getting up at 6:30 just feels wrong to my body! It's downright painful! I seem to do so much better going to bed at 10:30 and getting up at 8:00. That's about right.

My kids are struggling a bit right now. They had a great summer, and back to school has been a transition. When I see them struggle, my first reaction is to think it's my fault - that I'm not a good enough mom on some level. I work a lot (though I try very hard to be present every evening and morning). But I could work less and pick them up after school. What drives me to care so much about career when my kids are so young? I really want to be there for them - what the hell am I doing? They need me. BUT at the same time, struggling is a part of life and they will go through it. It is also part of their journey, and it's not "all my fault". I suspect they will get in the groove and so will I. I do want to get some of these projects off my plate and be with them - not because it will damage them if I don't, but because I WANT to be there with them through this part of their life. I want to volunteer at the school, pick them up a couple days a week right after school so they don't go to aftercare. I love them so dearly - it just hurts to see them hurt.
                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Working...
                X